The First Results of the Complex Laser Surgery Technology Application for Primary Open-angle Glaucoma
Balalin AS1*, Fokin VP1, Balalin SV1,2 and Dzhashi BG1
1Eye Microsurgery Named After Academician S.N. Fedorov, Volgograd Branch, Volgograd, Russia
2Volgograd State Medical University, Volgograd, Russia
*Corresponding Author: Balalin AS, Eye Microsurgery Named After Academician S.N. Fedorov, Volgograd Branch, Volgograd, Russia.
May 26, 2022; Published: June 03, 2022
Examination and treatment of 50 patients (50 eyes) with the early stage of primary open angle glaucoma before and after application of complex laser surgery technology was carried out. Selective laser trabeculoplasty in combination with YAG-laser trabeculostomy was performed in the projection of the outflow meshwork. Hypotensive effect was 31.1% of the initial intraocular pressure level on the 1st post-op day and remained for a month after the surgery due to the outflow improvement of the intraocular fluid by 62.5%. The YAG-laser and OCT data allow optimization of YAG trabeculostomy, providing an alternative noninvasive laser treatment for patients with primary open angle glaucoma.
Keywords: Primary Open Angle Glaucoma; Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty; YAG Laser Trabeculostomy
- “Natsional'noye rukovodstvo po glaukome: dlya praktikuyushchikh vrachey [National guidelines for glaucoma: for practitioners]” pod red. Ye.A. Yegorova, V.P. Yericheva. [ed. E.A. Egorova, V.P. Ericheva] (2019): 384.
- Krasnov MM., et al. “Lazernoye lecheniye pervichnoy glaukomy [Laser treatment of primary glaucoma] Vestnik oftal'mologii”. Bulletin of Ophthalmology 5 (1982): 18-22.
- Wise JB and Witter SL. “Argon laser therapy for open-angle glaucoma: a pilot study”. Archives of Ophthalmology and Glaucoma 97 (1979): 319-322.
- Rodrigues MM., et al. “Electron microscopy of argon laser therapy in phakic open-angle glaucoma”. Ophthalmology 89 (1982): 198-210.
- Ticho U and Zauberman H. “Argon laser application to the angle structures in the glaucomas”. Archives of Ophthalmology 94.1 (1976): 61-64.
- Bradley JM., et al. “Mediation of laser trabeculoplasty-induced matrix metalloproteinase expression by IL-1beta and TNF-alpha”. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 41.2 (2000): 422-4
- Latina MA and Park CH. “Selective targeting of trabecular meshwork cells: in vitro studies at pulsed and CW laser interactions”. Experimental Eye Research 60 (1995): 359-371.
- Latina MA., et al. “Q-switched 532-nm Nd-YAG selective laser trabeculoplasty (selective laser trabeculoplasty)”. Ophthalmology 105.11 (1998): 2082-2090.
- Ivanova ES., et al. “Selektivnaya lazernaya aktivatsiya trabekuly v lechenii patsiyentov s pervichnoy otkrytougol'noy glaukomoy [Selective laser activation of the trabecula in the treatment of patients with primary open-angle glaucoma]”. Vestnik Orenburgskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. [Vestnik Orenburg State University] 12.148 (2012): 65-68.
- Balalin SV and Fokin VP. “Nadporogovaya SLT v lechenii bol'nykh otkrytougol'noy glaukomoy na fone psevdoeksfoliativnogo sindroma [Suprathreshold SLT in the treatment of patients with open-angle glaucoma associated with pseudoexfoliative syndrome]”. Vestnik Tambovskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Tambov University Review] 19.4 (2014): 1083-1085.
- Sokolovskaya TV., et al. “YAG-lazernaya aktivatsiya trabekuly v lechenii bol'nykh pervichnoy otkrytougol'noy glaukomoy [YAG-laser activation of the trabecula in the treatment of patients with primary open-angle glaucoma]”. Oftal'mokhirurgiya [Ophthalmosurgery] 1 (2014): 47.