Millets as Super Foods: A Review
Aditya S Bhandari1, Kundan B Jat1, Aniruddha A Kanse1, Prathamesh D
Gorde1, Shweta Suri2 and Anirudh G Patil1*
1Department of food technology, Annasaheb Dange College of Engineering and
Technology, Ashta, Maharashtra, India
2Assistant Professor, Amity Institute of Food Technology, Amity University Uttar
Pradesh, Noida, India
*Corresponding Author: Anirudh G Patil, Department of food technology,
Annasaheb Dange College of Engineering and Technology, Ashta, Maharashtra, India.
May 05, 2023; Published: May 31, 2023
Climate change, water shortages, rising global population, and rising food prices in the twenty-first century, and other socioeconomic
effects are anticipated to pose a serious threat to global food security and agriculture, particularly for the poorest residents
of arid and sub arid areas. Scientists and dietitians are challenged by these effects to look into the feasibility of growing, preparing,
and consuming alternative food sources for eradicating poverty and hunger. The primary food source in the world and an essential
component of the human diet are cereal grains over the globe. In the semiarid tropics of Asia and Africa, millet is one of the most
significant drought-resistant crops. It is a significant source of proteins and carbs for residents in these places. Additionally, millet
grain is currently attracting more interest from food scientists, technologists, and nutritionists due to its significant contribution to
national food security and potential health advantages. This study's objective was to analyse recent developments in research done
up to that point in order to assess the nutritional value and potential health advantages of millet grains. Utilising processing methods
to enhance millet's edible and nutritious qualities also highlighted are difficulties, restrictions, and prospects for promoting millet
use as food for a sizable and expanding population.
Keywords:Fermented and Traditional Foods; Baked and Extruded Products; Functional Foods and Beverages
- Abah C R., et al. "Nutritional composition, functional properties and food applications of millet grains”. Asian Food Science Journal2 (2020): 9-19.
- Abah C R., et al. "Sorghum grains: nutritional composition, functional properties and its food applications”. European Journal of Nutrition and Food Safety 5 (2020): 101-111.
- Abioye V F., et al. "Varietal and processing influence on nutritional and phytochemical properties of finger millet: A review”. Heliyon (2022): e12310.
- Adeleye Oluwafunmilayo O., et al. "Effect of high-temperature, short-time cooking conditions on in vitro protein digestibility, enzyme inhibitor activity and amino acid profile of selected legume grains”. Heliyon11 (2020): e05419.
- Adewale Isaac Olusanjo., et al. "Comparative studies on α-amylases from malted maize (Zea mays), millet (Eleusine coracana) and Sorghum (Sorghum bicolor)”. Carbohydrate Polymers1 (2006): 71-74.
- Agrawal Himani., et al. "Purification, identification and characterization of two novel antioxidant peptides from finger millet (Eleusine coracana) protein hydrolysate”. Food Research International120 (2019): 697-707.
- Ai Yongfeng and Jay-lin Jane. "Understanding starch structure and functionality”. Starch in food. Woodhead Publishing, (2018): 151-178.
- Ali Maha AM., et al. "Effect of fermentation on the in vitro protein digestibility of pearl millet”. Food Chemistry1 (2003): 51-54.
- Aluge Opeyemi O., et al. "Effect of malted sorghum on quality characteristics of wheat-sorghum-soybean flour for potential use in confectionaries”. Food and Nutrition Sciences13 (2016): 1241-1252.
- Anggraini Putri Dwi Kasih and Abdul Salam. "Acceptance, nutritional content, and shelf life of cookies based on millet flour as a functional food”. Technium Social Sciences Journal 21 (2021): 795.
- Antony Usha and T S Chandra. "Antinutrient reduction and enhancement in protein, starch, and mineral availability in fermented flour of finger millet (Eleusine coracana)”. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry7 (1998): 2578-2582.
- Anu S Sehgal and A Kawatra. "Use of pearl millet and green gram flours in biscuits and their sensory and nutritional quality”. Journal of Food Science and Technology-Mysore5 (2007): 536-538.
- Arora P., et al. "Content and HCl-extractability of minerals as affected by acid treatment of pearl millet”. Food Chemistry1 (2003): 141-144.
- Arora Sonia., et al. "Effect of germination and probiotic fermentation on nutrient profile of pearl millet based food blends”. British Food Journal4 (2011): 470-481.
- Asma M Ali., et al. "Development of weaning food from sorghum supplemented with legumes and oil seeds”. Food and Nutrition Bulletin1 (2006): 26-34.
- Badi S., et al. "The nutritive value of new and traditional sorghum and millet foods from Sudan”. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition40 (1990): 5-19.
- Balasubramanian S., et al. "Development and shelf-life evaluation of pearl millet based upma dry mix”. Journal of Food Science and Technology51 (2014): 1110-1117.
- Begum, J M. "Refined processing and Products for commercial use and health benefits from finger millet”. Food Uses of Small Millets and Avenues for Further Processing and Value Addition, Project Coordination Cell, All India Coordinated Small Millets Improvement Project, ICAR, UAS, GKVK, Banglore, India (2007).
- Begum J M., et al. "Nutritional composition and sensory profile of baked products from finger millet”. Recent Trends in Millet Processing and Utilization, CCS Hisar Agricultural University, Hisar, India (2003): 82-87.
- Bhat Sujata., et al. "Significance of small millets in nutrition and health-A review”. Asian Journal of Dairy and Food Research1 (2018): 35-40.
- Chauhan Ekta Singh. "Effects of processing (germination and popping) on the nutritional and anti-nutritional properties of finger millet (Eleusine coracana)”. Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science Journal2 (2018): 566-572.
- Chavan J K., et al. "Nutritional improvement of cereals by fermentation”. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition5 (1989): 349-400.
- Cisse D., et al. "Effect of food processing on iron availability of African pearl millet weaning foods”. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition5 (1998): 375-381.
- Dahlin K and K Lorenz. "Protein digestibility of extruded cereal grains”. Food Chemistry1 (1993): 13-18.
- Dayakar Rao B., et al. "Nutritional and health benefits of millets”. ICAR_Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR), Rajendranagar, Hyderabad112 (2017): 33.
- Desai Anuradha D., et al. "Effect of supplementation of malted ragi flour on the nutritional and sensorial quality characteristics of cake”. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology1 (2010): 67-71.
- Devaraju B., et al. "Effect of temperature on physical properties of pasta from finger millet composite flour”. Journal of Food Science and Technology-Mysore4 (2006): 341-343.
- Dhumal CV., et al. "Development of potato and barnyard millet based ready to eat (RTE) fasting food”. Journal of Ready to Eat Food1 (2014): 11-17.
- Fujita S., et al. "Physicochemical studies of starch from millet (Setaria italica Beauv.)”. Food Chemistry3 (1996): 209-213.
- Gadaga T H., et al. "A review of traditional fermented foods and beverages of Zimbabwe”. International Journal of Food Microbiology1 (1999): 1-11.
- Gawande AV and K P Babar. "Effect of malting and fermentation on the functional and rheological properties of sorghum flour”. Asian Food Science Journal1 (2018): 1-4.
- Geberemeskel Genet al, et al. "Antidiabetic effect of fenugreek seed powder solution (Trigonella foenum-graecum L.) on hyperlipidemia in diabetic patients”. Journal of diabetes research2019 (2019).
- Geervani P and Bjorn O Eggum. "Effect of heating and fortification with lysine on protein quality of minor millets”. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition39 (1989): 349-357.
- Geetha K., et al. "Glycemic index of millet based food mix and its effect on pre diabetic subjects”. Journal of Food Science and Technology57 (2020): 2732-2738.
- Geetha R., et al. "Twin screw extrusion of kodo millet-chickpea blend: process parameter optimization, physico-chemical and functional properties”. Journal of Food Science and Technology51 (2014): 3144-3153.
- Gopalan C. "Carbohydrates in diabetic diet”. Nutr. Found3 (1981).
- Govindappa M., et al. "Response of finger millet (Eluesine coracana L.) to organic and inorganic sources of nutrients under rainfed condition”. Journal of Crop and Weed1 (2009): 291-293.
- Hama-Ba Fatoumata., et al. "Study of the nutritional quality and acceptability of millet biscuits (Pennissetum glaucum ) supplemented with cowpea (Vigna unguiculata L.) and Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea L.)”. Journal of Agricultural Science and Food Research9.1 (2018): 1-4.
- Hassan ZM., et al. "The nutritional use of millet grain for food and feed: a review”. Agriculture and Food Security10 (2021): 1-14.
- Ibidapo Olubunmi., et al. "Bioactive components of malted millet (Pennisetum glaucum), Soy Residue “okara” and wheat flour and their antioxidant properties”. International Journal of Food Properties1 (2019): 1886-1898.
- Ikram Ali., et al. "Nutritional and end‐use perspectives of sprouted grains: A comprehensive review”. Food Science and Nutrition8 (2021): 4617-4628.
- Ilango Shankar and Usha Antony. "Assessment of the microbiological quality of koozh, a fermented millet beverage”. African Journal of Microbiology Research3 (2014): 308-312.
- Jaybhaye R V., et al. "Processing and technology for millet based food products: a review”. Journal of ready to Eat Food2 (2014): 32-48.
- Jha Neha., et al. "Effect of different soaking conditions on inhibitory factors and bio accessibility of iron and zinc in pearl millet”. Journal of Cereal Science66 (2015): 46-52.
- Junejo Shahid Ahmed., et al. "Starch structure and nutritional functionality–Past revelations and future prospects”. Carbohydrate Polymers277 (2022): 118837.
- Kajla Priyanka., et al. "Biofortification and medicinal value of pearl millet flour”. Pearl Millet. CRC Press, (2020): 139-157.
- Kamath M Vitaladasa and Bhavani Belavady. "Unavailable carbohydrates of commonly consumed Indian foods”. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture2 (1980): 194-202.
- Kamble Dinkar B., et al. "Evaluation of structural, chemical and digestibility properties of multigrain pasta”. Journal of Food Science and Technology58 (2021): 1014-1026.
- Kanagaraj Sasi Praba., et al. "Effect of dry heat treatment on the development of resistant starch in rice (Oryza sativa) and barnyard millet (Echinochloa furmantacea)”. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation7 (2019): e13965.
- Kaur Arshdeep., et al. "Physico‐chemical characterization and utilization of finger millet (Eleusine coracana L.) cultivars for the preparation of biscuits”. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation9 (2020): e14672.
- Khetarpaul Neelam. “Improvement of nutritional value of pearl millet by fermentation and utilisation of the fermented product”. Foods and Nutrition, CCSHAU, HIsar, (1988).
- Krishnan Rateesh., et al. "Quality characteristics of biscuits prepared from finger millet seed coat based composite flour”. Food chemistry2 (2011): 499-506.
- Kuma Amistu., et al. "Assessment of raw milk microbial quality at different critical points of oromia to milk retail centers in Addis Ababa”. Food Science and Quality Management38 (2015).
- Kumar Anil., et al. eds. “Millets and Millet Technology”. Springer Singapore, (2021).
- Kumari Disna., et al. "Comparison of phenolic content and antioxidant activities of millet varieties grown in different locations in Sri Lanka”. Food Science and Nutrition3 (2017): 474-485.
- Kumari S Krishna and B Thayumanavan. "Comparative study of resistant starch from minor millets on intestinal responses, blood glucose, serum cholesterol and triglycerides in rats”. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture3 (1997): 296-302.
- Ladkat KS., et al. "Physicochemical properties of finger millet and malted finger millet muffins”. BIOINFOLET-A Quarterly Journal of Life Sciences1and2 (2019): 31-34.
- Lehmann U and F Robin. "Slowly digestible starch–its structure and health implications: a review”. Trends in Food Science and Technology7 (2007): 346-355.
- Maitra Sagar M., et al. "Nutrient management in finger millet (Eleusine coracana Gaertn) in India”. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology13.1 (2020): 13-21.
- Malleshi N G and CF Klopfenstein. "Nutrient composition, amino acid and vitamin contents of malted sorghum, pearl millet, finger millet and their rootlets”. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 6 (1998): 415-422.
- Malleshi N G and H S R Desikachar. "Studies on the suitability of roller flour mill, hammer mill and plate grinder for obtaining a refined flour from malted ragi (Eleusine coracana)”. Journal of Food Science and Technology2 (1981): 37-39.
- Malleshi Nagappa G., et al. "Physical and nutritional qualities of extruded weaning foods containing sorghum, pearl millet, or finger millet blended with mung beans and nonfat dried milk”. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition 49 (1996): 181-189.
- Mamatha H S., et al. "Effect of storage on cooking and sensory quality of diabetic vermicelli from finger millet with hypoglycemice foods”. Recent Trends in Millet Processing and Utilization, CCS Hisar Agril. Univ., Hisar, India (2003): 51-55.
- Mir Shabir Ahmad., et al. "Technological and nutritional properties of gluten-free snacks based on brown rice and chestnut flour”. Journal of the Saudi Society of Agricultural Sciences1 (2019): 89-94.
- Mitharwal Swati., et al. "Nutritional, polyphenolic composition and in vitro digestibility of finger millet (Eleusine coracana L.) with its potential food applications: A review”. Food Bioscience44 (2021): 101382.
- Naikare SM., et al. "Processing of papad from malted sorghum flour”. Recent Trends in Millet Processing and Utilization, CCS Haryana Agril. Univ., Hisar, India (2003): 32-37.
- Nambiar Vanisha S and Tanvee Patwardhan. "Assessment of glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL) for selected traditional millet-based Indian recipes”. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries35 (2015): 157-162.
- Nambiar Vanisha S., et al. "Flavonoids and phenolic acids from pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum) based foods and their functional implications”. Functional Foods in Health and Disease7 (2012): 251-264.
- Ndiaye Cheikh., et al. "Malting germination effect on rheological properties and cooking time of millet (P. typhoïdes) and sorghum (S. bicolor) flours and rolled flour products (arraw)”. American Journal of Food Technology6 (2008): 373-383.
- Nirmala M., et al. "Carbohydrates and their degrading enzymes from native and malted finger millet (Ragi, Eleusine coracana, Indaf-15)”. Food Chemistry2 (2000): 175-180.
- Obilana Anthony O., et al. "Functional and physical properties of instant beverage powder made from two different varieties of pearl millet” (2014).
- Obilana Anthony O., et al. "Nutritional, biochemical and sensory properties of instant beverage powder made from two different varieties of pearl millet”. Food and Nutrition Research62 (2018).
- Odusola KB., et al. "Assessment of nutritional composition and antioxidant ability of pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum)”. American Journal of Research Communication6 (2013): 262-272.
- Onyango Calvin., et al. "Proximate composition and digestibility of fermented and extruded uji from maize–finger millet blend”. LWT-Food science and Technology8 (2004): 827-832.
- Patel M M and G Venkateswara Rao. "Influence of untreated, heat-treated and germinated blackgram flours on biscuit making quality of wheat flour”. Journal of Food Science and Technology1 (1996): 53-56.
- Pelembe LAM., et al. "Development of a protein-rich composite sorghum–cowpea instant porridge by extrusion cooking process”. LWT-Food Science and Technology2 (2002): 120-127.
- Pradeep S R and Manisha Guha. "Effect of processing methods on the nutraceutical and antioxidant properties of little millet (Panicum sumatrense) extracts”. Food Chemistry4 (2011): 1643-1647.
- Qi Yanyu., et al. "Insights into structure-function relationships of starch from foxtail millet cultivars grown in China”. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules155 (2020): 1176-1183.
- Rao Cherukumalli Srinivasa., et al. "Potential and challenges of rainfed farming in India”. Advances in Agronomy133 (2015): 113-181.
- Rashwan Ahmed K., et al. "Potential processing technologies for developing sorghum-based food products: An update and comprehensive review”. Trends in Food Science and Technology110 (2021): 168-182.
- Saleh Ahmed SM., et al. "Millet grains: nutritional quality, processing, and potential health benefits”. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety3 (2013): 281-295.
- Sangita Kumari and Srivastava Sarita. "Nutritive value of malted flours of finger millet genotypes and their use in the preparation of burfi”. Journal of Food Science and Technology (Mysore)4 (2000): 419-422.
- Selvaraj A., et al. "Packaging and storage studies on biscuits containing finger millet (ragi) flour”. Journal of Food Science and Technology1 (2002): 66-68.
- Serna-Saldivar S O., et al. "Effects of parboiling and decortication on the nutritional value of sorghum (Sorghum bicolor Moench) and pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum L.)”. Journal of Cereal Science19.1 (1994): 83-89.
- Sharma RD and TC Raghuram. "Hypoglycaemic effect of fenugreek seeds in non-insulin dependent diabetic subjects”. Nutrition Research7 (1990): 731-739.
- Sharma Seema., et al. "Changes in the GABA and polyphenols contents of foxtail millet on germination and their relationship with in vitro antioxidant activity”. Food Chemistry245 (2018): 863-870.
- Shigihalli Sneha., et al. "Effect of processing methods on phytic acid content in selected white finger millet varieties”. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences2 (2018): 1829-1835.
- Shobana Shanmugam, et al. "Glycemic response of rice, wheat and finger millet based diabetic food formulations in normoglycemic subjects”. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition5 (2007): 363-372.
- Silva Daisy Jacqueline Sousa., et al. "Correlation between the rheological and technological properties of biscuits with different levels of replacement of wheat flour by rice and azuki bean flour”. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 10 (2021): 5190-5200.
- Singh Ritu and M S Nain. "Nutrient analysis and acceptability of different ratio pearl millet (Pennisetum glaccum (L.) R. Br.) based biscuits”. (2020).
- Siwela Muthulisi., et al. "Occurrence and location of tannins in finger millet grain and antioxidant activity of different grain types”. Cereal Chemistry2 (2007): 169-174.
- Sripriya G., et al. "ESR spectroscopic studies on free radical quenching action of finger millet (Eleusine coracana)”. Food Chemistry4 (1996): 537-540.
- Srivastava S., et al. "Popping characteristics of Barnyard and foxtail millet and their use in preparation of sweets”. Recent Trends Millet Process Util Hisar, India Chaudhary Charan Singh Hisar Agril Univ (2003): 38-40.
- Sudan Sarabjeet Kour., et al. "Production, purification and characterization of raw starch hydrolyzing thermostable acidic α-amylase from hot springs, India”. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules117 (2018): 831-839.
- Sukumaran Sreekala Asha Devi., et al. "Millet Production and Consumption in India: Where Do We Stand and Where Do We Go?”. National Academy Science Letters1 (2023): 65-70.
- Sumathi A., et al. "Physico-chemical characteristics, nutritional quality and shelf-life of pearl millet based extrusion cooked supplementary foods”. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition5 (2007): 350-362.
- Taylor John RN., et al. "Novel food and non-food uses for sorghum and millets”. Journal of Cereal Science3 (2006): 252-271.
- Tester Richard F., et al. "Starch—composition, fine structure and architecture”. Journal of Cereal Science2 (2004): 151-165.
- Thakkar Rasika and Rashmi Kapoor. "Enrichment of rice and finger millet based preparations with gum acacia and their effects on glycemic response in non-insulin dependent diabetic subjects”. Journal of Food Science and Technology-Mysore2 (2007): 183-185.
- Thapliyal Vinita and Karuna Singh. "Finger millet: potential millet for food security and power house of nutrients”. International or Research in Agriculture and Forestry2 (2015).
- Thathola Anju and Sarita Srivastava. "Physicochemical properties and nutritional traits of millet‐based weaning food suitable for infants of the Kumaon hills, Northern India”. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1 (2002): 28-32.
- Veena B., et al. "Development of barnyard millet based traditional foods”. Karnataka Journal of Agricultural Sciences3 (2010).
- Verma Veenu and S Patel. "Value added products from nutri-cereals: Finger millet (Eleusine coracana)”. Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture (2013): 169-176.
- Vidyavati H G., et al. "Utilization of finger millet in the preparation of papad”. Journal of Food Science and Technology-Mysore4 (2004): 379-382.
- Wadikar D D., et al. "Lipid profile of finger millet (Eleusine coracana) varieties”. Journal of Food Science and Technology-Mysore1 (2007): 79-81.
- Wedajo Lemi Bikila. "Microbiology of Ethiopian traditionally fermented beverages and condiments”. International Journal of Microbiology2020 (2020).
- Xiang Jinle., et al. "Profile of phenolic compounds and antioxidant activity of finger millet varieties”. Food Chemistry275 (2019): 361-368.
- Xing Qinhui., et al. "Enhanced nutritional value of chickpea protein concentrate by dry separation and solid state fermentation”. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies59 (2020): 102269.
- Yadav Gorenand Prasad., et al. "Effects of extrusion process parameters on cooking characteristics and physicochemical, textural, thermal, pasting, microstructure, and nutritional properties of millet‐based extruded products: A review”. Journal of Food Process Engineering9 (2022): e14106.
- Yenagi Nirmala., et al. "Hand book for school children: importance of millets in daily diets for food and nutrition security [appendix 11 of the joint technical final report (October 2010-March 2013)]”. (2013).
- Zheng Mingzhu., et al. "Effect of adding zein, soy protein isolate and whey protein isolate on the physicochemical and in vitro digestion of proso millet starch”. International Journal of Food Science and Technology2 (2020): 776-784.