Problem of Malnutrition of Elderly People Living at Home in the District of Coleah
(Commune of Matam)
Ousmane SANGARE*, Abdoulaye SANKHON and Ibrahima KABA
Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences of the Ecole Supérieure du Tourism, et de l’Hôtellerie, Conakry, Guinea
*Corresponding Author: Ousmane SANGARE, Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences of the Ecole Supérieure du Tourism, et de l’Hôtellerie, Conakry, Guinea.
December 05, 2022; Published: February 08, 2023
In Guinea, there is no data on the prevalence of un denutrition among elderly people living at home.
The objective of this study was to determine the prevalence of under nutrition among the elderly and to contribute to the improvement of their diet.
The results of this study show that a significant proportion of elderly people living at home have an altered nutritional status.
The most affected were the male and those who lost their partners (widows and widowers).
Indeed, out of a total of I 03 people surveyed in the Coleah district from 8 to 18 June 2018, we obtained the following results:D According to the overall assessment of malnutrition, we found the following:One person (ie 0. 97%) out of the 103 respondents was severely malnourished, 19 (18.45%)were at risk of undmutrition and 83 (80. 58%) were in normal nutritional status D According to BMI, 8 out of 103 were underweight, 25 were overweight, 23 were obese an 7 had normal nutritional status.
Keywords: Undemutrition; Elderly; Home
- Agence Nationale d'Accréditation et d'Evaluation en Santé "ANAES". “Diagnostic evaluation of protein-energy malnutrition in hospitalized adults, Service des recommandations professionnelles (2003): 122.
- Ancelle T. “Statistique épidémiologie”. éd maloine, paris (2002): 97-123.
- ANDRE VAN GOSSUM., et al. “Undernutrition in hospitals, health Public of medical but also economic issues (Brussels)” 3 (2007): PL-6.
- Avignon A., et al. “Cahiers de nutrition et diététique”. Edition Masson (2001): 163.
- BASDEKIS JC., et al. “L'alimentation des personnes aînés et la prévention de la dénutrition”. ed estem, Paris (2004): 41.
- Beau P. “Prevalence of undernutrition in hospitalized patients”. In: Leverve X, Cosnes J, Erny P, Hasselmann M, ed. Deals with artificial nutrition of the adulte. Bet: ed. Mariette Guena, Societe Francophone de Nutrition Enterale et Parenterale (1998): 639-645.
- GARNIER M., et al. “Dictionnaire des termes de médecine, 26th edition, Ma1oine, pans (2000): 216.
- Gin H., et al. “The risk of malnutrition and malnutrition in the hospital: survey a given day”. Cahiers de Nutrition et de Diététique 3 (2001): 185-188.
- Guigoz Y and Vellas B. “Test to assess the nutritional status of the elderly person: the Mini Nutritional Assessment (MNA)”. Medicine and Hygiene (1995): 965-969.
- “High Committee for Public Health. For a nutritional policy in France”. ENSP Editions (2000).
- High Health Authority. “Strategy for the management of protein-energy malnutrition in the elderly” (2007).
- Heymsfield SB., et al. “Nutritional assessment by clinical and biochemical methods”. In: Modem nutrition in health and disease. Philadelphia: Lea and Fibiger (1988): 817-860.
- Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medical erl. Nutritional deficiencies. Etiol ogies and screening. Paris: INSERM, Collection Expertise Collective (1999).
- Salaun F. “Welcoming and caring: AP-HP, 150 years of history. Paris, Dion-AP-HP (1999): 274.
- Therond P. “Evaluation de l'état nutrition, In Societe Francaise de Biologie Clinique, et al, Cahier de formation biochimie. Assurance qualite. Tome II. Edition SFBC; Paris (1994): 205-208.
- Tucker and Miguel. “Cited by Agence nationale de l'accreditation et d'évaluation de sante ANAES: Diagnostic evaluation of protein-energy malnutrition in adults ospitalises (2003).
- Basdevant A., et al. “Deals with clinical nutrition of adults”. Paris: Flam. marion medicine sciences (2001).
- Bonarek M., et al. “Relationship between cholesterol, apolippoprotein E polymorphysm and dementia: A cross-sectional analysis from the PAQIBD study”. Neuroepidemiology 19 (2000): 141-148.
- Ministry of Public Health and Health Directorate of the City of Conakry (DSVCO). “Survey on the provision of care in the city of Conakry”. Informal sector. Conakry: MSP and National Directorate of Prevention and Community Health (DNPSC) (2006).
- Mowe W., et al. “Reduced nutritional status in an elderly population (>70 y) is probable before disease and possibly contributes to the development of the disease”. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 59 (1994): 317-312.
- Sullivan DH., et al. “Impact of nutrition status on morbidity and mortality in a select population of geriatric rehabilitation patients”. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 51 (1990): 749-758.
- Symbolic and (TCAI) eating disorder in institutions: refusal Food: Conference, forum of the Food and Nutrition Liaison Committee (CLAN) "Care on my plate" (2006).
- De Groot LC., et al. “SENECA Investigators. Lifestyle, nutritional status, health, and mortality in elderly people across Europe: a review of the longitudinal results of the SENECA study”. The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 59 (2004): 277-284.
- Ferry M., et al. “Study of food consumption among older people in the EURONUT-SENECA survey. In methodological approaches to food consumption surveys in humans”. IFN Scientific Dossier.
- Consensus Conference on the care of people aged 75 and over in emergency rooms, Strasbourg (2003).
- “The French Food Safety Agency relating to the critical analysis of the results of a toxicity study on the development of the nervous system as well as other recently published data on the toxic effects of bisphenol A” (2009).
- M Isabel., et al. “Risk factors for malnutrition in patients undergoing gastroenterological and hernia surgery: an analysis of 374 patients”. Nutricion Hospitalaria (2001).