Glycemic and Lipidemic Effect of African Yam Bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) on Dexamethasone-Treated Pregnant Rats
Funmilola Comfort OLADELE* and Olayinka Anthony AWOYINKA
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria
*Corresponding Author: Funmilola Comfort OLADELE, Department of Medical Biochemistry, Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti, Nigeria.
February 16, 2022; Published: March 07, 2022
This study focused on the glycemic and lipidemic effect of African yam bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) on dexamethasone-treated pregnant rats. Sphenostylis stenocarpa were locally sourced from a market in Ado Ekiti. They were milled into powder and used in formulating feed for experimental animals. Fifteen female pregnant rats were divided in three groups of five each. Animals in group A were exposed to standard animal feed only. This served as the control group. Those in group B were exposed to Sphenostylis stenocarpa-formulated diet + 0.3 mg/kg body weight of dexamethasone, while those in group C were exposed to Sphenostylis stenocarpa-formulated diet. At the end of eight days treatment, animals were sacrificed and blood sample was collected into EDTA bottles and centrifuged. Plasma was separated and used for the determination of glucose and lipid profile. Treatment of animals with dexamethasone was observed to significantly (p < 0.05) increased the concentration of plasma glucose when compared with the control as well as animals fed with S. stenocarpa-formulated diet only. Animals exposed to dexamethasone were observed to have higher concentrations of triglyceride, total cholesterol, low density lipoprotein (LDL) and very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) when compared with those in animals in the control group as well as those fed with S. stenocarpa-formulated diet only. The results of this study showed that dexamethasone induced dyslipidemia in treated pregnant rats thus possessing the propensity to induce diabetes, obesity as well as cardiovascular diseases. S. stenocarpa seed on the other hand was observed to favorably regulate plasma glucose and lipid profile of pregnant rats.
Keywords: Dexamethasone; Glucose; Lipid Profile; Sphenostylis stenocarpa
- Airaodion AI., et al. “Hypolipidaemic and antidiabetic potency of Allium cepa (onions) bulb in alloxan-induced diabetic rats”. Acta Scientific Nutritional Health 3 (2020): 1-8.
- Njoku OC., et al. “Antidiabetic potential of alkaloid extracts from Vitex doniana and Ficus thonningii leaves on alloxan-induced diabetic rats”. International Research Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2 1-12.
- Airaodion AI., et al. “Pharmacotherapeutic effect of methanolic extract of Telfairia occidentalis leaves on glycemic and lipidemic indexes of alloxan-induced diabetic rats”. International Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology8 (2019): 1-17.
- Saumya Gupta., et al. “A study of risk factors in young patients of acute coronary syndrome”. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research 4 (2017): 2144-2147.
- John VC., et al. “Valvular heart disease. In: The Johns Hopkins manual of cardiac surgical care”. 2nd Marry land, Baltimore, Elsevier publisher (2007): 96.
- Bonow RO., et al. “Guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines”. Circulation 114 (2006): 84-231.
- Vuyisile TN., et al. “Burden of valvular heart diseases: a population-based study”. The lancet 368 (2006): 969-971.
- Busson F. “Root crop” (2021).
- Amoatey HM., et al. “The African Yam Bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa): A Neglected crop in Ghana”. West African Journal of Applied Ecology 1 (2000): 53-60.
- Adeyeye EI and Agesin OO. “Dehulling the African Yam Bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa Hochst. ex A. ich) Seeds: Any Nutritional Importance?” Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research 2 (2007): 163-174.
- Klu GYP., et al. “Cultivation and use of African yam bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) in the Volta region of Ghana”. The Journal of food Technology3 (2001): 74-77.
- Arinathan V., et al. “Chemical composition of certain tribal pulses in South India”. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 54 (2003): 209-217.
- Campos-Vega R., et al. “Chemical composition and in vitro polysaccharide fermentation of different beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.)”. Journal of Food Science 74 (2019): 59-65.
- Barham D and Trinder P. “An improved colour reagent for the determination of blood glucose by the oxidase system”. The Analyst 97.1151 (1972):
- Owoade AO., et al. “Toxicological assessment of the methanolic leaf extract of Bridelia ferrugelia”. The Journal of Phytopharmacology5 (2018): 419-424.
- Owoade AO., et al. “Levofloxacin-induced dyslipidemia in male albino rats”. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology5 (2018): 620-629.
- Oladele FC., et al. “Effect of Parkia biglobosa Seed on Lipid Profile of Dexamethasone-Treated Pregnant Rats”. World Journal of Biology Pharmacy and Health Sciences03 (2021): 30-39.
- Niu L., et al. “Effects of chronic dexamethasone administration on hyperglycemia and insulin release in goats”. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology26 (2018): 1-10.
- Hans P., et al. “Blood glucose concentration profile after 10 mg dexamethasone in non-diabetic and type 2 diabetic patients undergoing abdominal surgery”. British Journal of Anaesthesia (2006): 1-7.
- Chap Z., et al. “Effect of dexamethasone on hepatic glucose and insulin metabolism after oral glucose in conscious dogs”. Journal of Clinical Investigation 5 (1986): 1355-1361.
- Bernal-Mizrachi C., et al. “Dexamethasone induction of hypertension and diabetes is PPAR-alpha dependent in LDL receptor-null mice”. Nature Medicine 9 (2003): 1069-1075.
- Nwankwo MO., et al. “Ethnopharmacological Use of Sphenostylis stenocarpa (Hochst ex.A. Rich.) Harms Seed Milk As Alternative Medicine to Control Diabetes Mellitus In Streptozocin-Induced Rats”. Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science7 (2021): 05-13.
- Airaodion AI., et al. “Antidiabetic effect of ethanolic extract of Carica papaya leaves in alloxan-induced diabetic rats”. American Journal of Biomedical Science and Research3 (2019): 227-234.
- Airaodion AI., et al. “Effect of oral intake of African locust bean on fasting blood sugar and lipid profile of albino rats”. Asian Journal of Research in Biochemistry 4.4 (2019): 1-9.
- Airaodion AI and Ogbuagu EO. “Effect of consumption of garri processed by traditional and instant mechanical methods on lipid profile of Wistar rats”. Asian Journal of Research and Reports in Gastroenterology1 (2020): 26-33.
- Ogbuagu EO., et al. “Effect of methanolic extract of Vernonia amygdalina leaves on glycemic and lipidaemic indexes of Wistar rats”. Asian Journal of Research in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences3 (2019): 1-14.
- Airaodion AI., et al. “Comparative assessment of phytochemical content and antioxidant potential of Azadirachta indica and Parquetina nigrescens leaves”. Asian Plant Research Journal3 (2019): 1-14.
- Airaodion AI., et al. “Evaluation of Phytochemical Content and Antioxidant Potential of Ocimum gratissimum and occidentalis leaves”. Asian Journal of Research in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 7.1 (2019): 1-11.
- Airaodion AI., et al. “Hypoglycemic and hypolipidaemic activities of methanolic extract of Talinum triangulare leaves in Wistar rats”. International Journal of Bioscience and Biotechnology5 (2019): 1-13.
- Nwankwo MO., et al. “Investigation on the Anti-diabetic Activity of Sphenostylis stenocarpa Seed Milk Extract in Alloxan-induced Diabetes Rats”. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications8 (2018): 824-829.
- Brotman DJ., et al. “Effects of short-term glucocorticoids on cardiovascular biomarkers”. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism6 (2005): 3202-3208.
- Krupková M., et al. “Pharmacogenetic interaction between dexamethasone and Cd36-deficient segment of spontaneously hypertensive rat chromosome 4 affects triacylglycerol and cholesterol distribution into lipoprotein fractions”. Lipids in Health and Disease 38 (2010): 1-7.
- Kamel AM., et al. “Lipid profile of Hyperlipidemic mice induced by dexamethasone treated with 105 herbals oil mixture”. Diyala Journal of Medicine1 (2016): 24-31.
- Arab DA and Mahboubi M. “A study of the influence of dexamethasone on lipid profile and enzyme lactate dehydrogenase”. Journal of Medicine and Life 3 (2015): 72-76.
- Xue Q and Patterson AJ. “Glucocorticoid Modulates Angiotensin II Receptor Expression Patterns and Protects the Heart from Ischemia and Reperfusion Injury”. PloS One9 (2014): e106827.
- Ogbu PN., et al. “Sphenostylis stenocarpa Seed Extract Attenuates Dyslipidemia in Testosterone Propionate-induced Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in Rats”. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 24 (2021): 151-157.
- Awoyinka OA., et al. “Sphenostylis stenocarpa (Hochst. Ex A. Rich) and fermented Parkia biglobosa (Jacq, R.B.R.) supplementation prevents high fat diet induced derangements in kidney of albino rats”. African Journal of Biochemistry Research1 (2021): 1-8.