Effect of Covid-19 on Food Consumption Pattern of Indian Adolescent Girls
Jyoti Singh1* and Nikita Wadhawan2
1Research Scholar, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, MPUAT, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
2Assistant Professor, Department of Renewable Energy Engineering, MPUAT, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
*Corresponding Author: Jyoti Singh, Research Scholar, Department of Food Science and Nutrition, MPUAT, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India.
July 12, 2021; Published: September 24, 2021
Since the beginning of 2020, coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has become a major public health issue. Adolescences constitute about 21 percent of Indian population. It is an important phase of human life and the habits form during this period can last longer. This sudden outbreak of pandemic can have an impact on their dietary patterns. Therefore, current study was undertaken to assess the effect of COVID-19 on food consumption pattern of adolescent girls. For carrying out the investigation, 120 urban adolescent girls aged 13-18 years were purposively selected from two schools of Udaipur district, Rajasthan. A well-structured interview schedule consisted of food frequency list was prepared and pretested. Data on food consumption pattern before and during COVID-19 was collected from selected samples through personal interview in month of march 2021, keeping in mind COVID-19 guidelines. SPSS version 26 was used for analysing all the data. The findings of the study revealed that COVID-19 had affected consumption pattern of food such as ginger, garlic, fruits such as banana, kinoo, apple, grapes, non-vegetarian food such as mutton, chicken, fish, beverages such as lemon water, turmeric milk, herbal tea, carbonated beverages and junk foods. COVID-19 had marginally improved the consumption pattern of immunity booster’s food among adolescent girls.
Keywords: Covid-19; Food Consumption Pattern; Food Groups; Adolescent Girls; Immunity
- Hui DS., et al. “The continuing 2019-nCoV epidemic threat of novel coronaviruses to global health—The latest 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China”. International Journal of Infectious Diseases 91 (2020): 264-266.
- Perappadan B S. "India's first coronavirus infection confirmed in Kerala". The Hindu (2020).
- Rabi FA., et al. “SARS-CoV-2 and Coronavirus Disease 2019: What We Know So Far”. Pathogens 3 (2020). 231.
- Kaur B., et al. “Impact of COVID-19 lockdown on the Dietary Pattern and Physical Activity of People”. Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences Research 2 (2020): 205-216.
- Miedema MD., et al. “Association of Fruit and Vegetable Consumption During Early Adulthood with the Prevalence of Coronary Artery Calcium After 20 Years of Follow-Up: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study”. Circulation21 (2015): 1990-1998.
- H.O Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Pandemic (2020).
- Rajkumar R P., et al. “COVID-19 and mental health: A review of the existing literature”. Asian Journal of Psychiatry 52 (2020): 102066.
- Hill DC., et al. “Stress and eating behaviors in children and adolescents: Systematic review and meta-analysis”. Appetite (2018) 14-22.
- Cartwright M., et al. “Stress and dietary practices in adolescents”. Health Psychology (2003): 362.
- Abbas AM., et al. “Dietary habits in adults during quarantine in the context of COVID-19 pandemic”. Obesity Medicine 19 (2020): 100254.
- Sidor A., et al. “Dietary Choices and Habits during COVID-19 Lockdown: Experience from Poland”. Nutrients6 (2020): 1657.
- Hourani AH., et al. “Impact of COVID-19 Lockdown on Body Weight, Eating Habits, and Physical Activity of Jordanian Children and Adolescents”. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness (2021): 1-9.
- Di Renzo L., et al. “Eating habits and lifestyle changes during COVID-19 lockdown: An Italian survey”. Journal of Translational Medicine 229 (2020): 1-15.
- Ruiz-Roso., et al. “Covid-19 Confinement and Changes of Adolescent’s Dietary Trends in Italy, Spain, Chile, Colombia and Brazil”. Nutrients 17 (2020): 1807.
- COVID-19: Ayush Ministry recommends preventive Ayurveda measures (2021).
- Basu S., et al. “Impact of lockdown due to COVID-19 outbreak: lifestyle changes and public health concerns in India”. International Journal of Indian Psychology 8 2 (2020): 1385-1411.
- Rahman CK., et al. “Impact of COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown on the meat consumption pattern in India: A preliminary analysis”. Journal of Experimental Biology and Agricultural Sciences2. (2021): 172-182.
- Alamrawy RG., et al. “Psychiatric morbidity and dietary habits during COVID-19 pandemic: a cross-sectional study among Egyptian Youth (14-24 years)”. Middle East Current Psychiatry 6 (2021): 2-10.
- Bohlouli J., et al. “COVID-19 and Fast Foods Consumption: A Review”. International Journal of Food Properties1 (2021): 203-209.
- Khalil A M S., et al. “Children Dietary Habits and Quality of Sleep during COVID-19 Pandemic”. International Journal of Nursing2 (2020): 81-86.
- Singh B., et al. “Effects of nationwide COVID-19 lockdown on lifestyle and diet: An Indian survey”. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care (2021): 1246-1250.