Revive Massive Production of Food and Nutritious Plants in South East Nigeria: A Fallout from the Food Blocked by the North
Eze O Jude1, Ekpere-Ezugwu M Ogechukwu2 and Obeta M Uchejeso3*
1Experior Diagnostics Limited, Abuja, Nigeria
2Department of Pharmaceutical Microbiology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria
3Department of Medical Laboratory Management, Federal School of Medical Laboratory Science, Jos, Nigeria
*Corresponding Author: Obeta M Uchejeso, Department of Medical Laboratory Management, Federal School of Medical Laboratory Science, Jos, Nigeria.
March 17, 2021; Published: May 20, 2021
The news about recent move by farmers and interest groups under the aegis of amalgamated union of foodstuff and cattle dealers of Nigeria (AUFCON) in Northern Nigeria to impose embargo on food supply to the south  as seen in figure 1, has implicated a huge food production gap in the southern part of the country. This development has created food security challenges in Nigeria especially in south eastern Nigeria. Nigeria is a sextuplet federation resting on double tripod of six geopolitical zones; more broadly divided into North and South. But concerns are heightened during the blockade because, the term "south" was an envelope word used to specifically represent the south east Nigeria.
- “Outrage greets blockade of food, cattle coming south” (2021).
- Asadu A., et al. “Urban crop production in southeast Nigeria: Potentials and constraints”. African Journal of Agricultural Research45 (2016): 4646-4653.
- Asadu CLA and Asadu AN. “Analytical overview of agricultural conditions in Nigeria”. Journal of Tropical Agriculture, Food, Environment and Extension 1 (2015): 1-17.
- Igwe CA and Okebalama CB. “Soil strength of some Central Eastern Nigeria soils and effect of potassium and sodium on their dispersion”. International Agrophysics 20 (2006): 107-112.
- Nduwumuremyi A. “Soil Acidification and Lime Quality: Sources of Soil Acidity, Effects on Plant Nutrients, Efficiency of Lime and Liming Requirements. Research and Reviews”. Journal of Agriculture and Allied Sciences 4 (2013): 26-34.
- Boozman J. “Boozman Officially Named Ranking Member of Senate Ag Committee” (2021).
- Ezeibekwe OK. “20 Pounds and A Case of Starvation” (2020).
- Nwodo J. “An Open Letter to Ndigbo” (2019).
- Anambra State. “Blueprint on Mobilization of Schools for Agriculture and Industry (MOSAI) Enugu, Nigeria”. Decency Printing academy (1989).
- Raphael Chijioke Njoku RC. “An Endless Cycle of Secessionism, Intellectuals and Separatist Movements in Nigeria in Secession, History and the Social Sciences”. Edited by Bruno Coppieters and Michel Huysseune. VUB Brussels University Press (Ed.) (2002).
- Edeh IG., et al. “Effects of Rumen Digesta on the Physico-Chemical Properties of Soil in Nsukka, Southeastern Nigeria”. Journal of Tropical Agriculture, Food, Environment and Extension3 (2013): 1-8.
- How Biafran war pitched Nsukka Communities.
- Mbaga MD. “Alternative mechanisms for achieving food security in Oman”. Agriculture and Food Security 2 (2013): 3.
- Okeke EC and DO Nnanyelugo. “Intrafamilial distribution of food and nutrients in a rural Nigerian population”. Ecology of Food and Nutrition 23 (1989): 109-123.
- Popkin BM. “The shift in the stage of nutritional transition in the developing world differs from past experience”. Journal of Public Health 5 (2002): 205-221.
- Rooney CP., et al. “Distribution and phytoavailability of lead in a soil contaminated with lead shot”. Journal of Water Air and Soil Pollution 116 (1999): 535-548.
- Mellor A and Mccartney C. “The Effects Of Lead Shot Deposition On Soils and Crops at a Clay Pigeon Shooting Site in Northern England” (2014).
- Thomas VG. “The environmental and ethical implications of lead shot contamination of rural lands in North America”. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics1 (2017): 41-54.
- Nnenna A Obidike. “Rural Farmers' Problems Accessing Agricultural Information: A Case Study of Nsukka Local Government Area of Enugu State, Nigeria”. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal) (2011).
- “Food and Local Cuisine of the people of Enugu” (2015).