Treatment of Retinal Folds Using Different Approaches for Unfolding After Retinal Detachment Surgery
Xavier Valldeperas-Belmonte1, Pablo Diaz-Aljaro*1, Laura Broc-Iturralde1, Adriá Sanchez-Fortuny Sanchez1, Nevena Romanic- Bubalo1, Sandra Gómez- Sanchez1, Susana Ruiz - Bilbao1 and Antonio Sabala- Llopart1
Ophthalmology Department, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain
*Corresponding Author: Pablo Diaz-Aljaro, Ophthalmology Department, Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Badalona, Spain.
July 27, 2022; Published: August 09, 2022
Purpose: To present two different surgical procedures for the treatment of retinal folds after retinal reattachment surgery.
Methods: Two different surgical techniques on two cases of retinal folds depending on their presentation time and position on the posterior pole.
Results: Case one and two had retinal folds involving macula, both required surgeries, on the first case injection of subretinal fluid (BSS) was used for unfolding, and in the second case, peripheric retinectomy and redetachment of the retina was performed. Visual symptoms resolution and flattening of the retina was achieved in both cases after follow-up period.
Conclusion: Surgical treatment of retinal folds involving macula must be addressed promptly to avoid visual impairment, conversely, extrafoveal folds can be appropriately managed with a conservative approach if visual acuity is correct.
Keywords: Retinal Folds; Unfolding; Buckle
- Heimann H and Bopp S. “Retinal folds following retinal detachment surgery”. Ophthalmologica 1 (2011): 18-26.
- Dell’Omo R and Costagliola C. “Longitudinal study of macular folds by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography”. American Journal of Ophthalmology 4 (2012): 757-758.
- Wong R. “Longitudinal study of macular folds by spectral-domain optical coherence tomography”. American Journal of Ophthalmology1 (2012): 88-92.e1.
- Williams BK., et al. “Optical coherence tomography imaging of chorioretinal folds associated with hypotony maculopathy following pars plana vitrectomy”. International Medical Case Reports Journal 8 (2015): 199-203.
- Van Meurs JC., et al. “Retinal folds through the macula”. Documenta Ophthalmologica 3-4 (1991): 335-340.
- Saatci AO., et al. “Long-Term Follow-Up of the Postoperative Macular Fold following the Vitreoretinal Surgery with Air Tamponade”. Case Reports in Ophthalmological Medicine 2013 (2013): 408351.
- Ahn SJ., et al. “Spontaneous resolution of macular fold following retinal reattachment: morphologic features on SD-OCT”. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina 42 (2011): e81--e83.
- Ruiz-Moreno JM and Montero JA. “Sliding macular fold following retinal detachment surgery”. Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 2 (2011): 301-303.
- Barale P., et al. “Treatment of macular folds complicating retinal detachment surgery using air for retinal unfolding”. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports (2014): 1-3.
- El-amir AN., et al. “Repair of macular fold following retinal reattachment surgery”. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 9 (2007): 791-792.
- Witkin AJ and Hsu J. “Surgical repair of macular fold after vitrectomy for bullous rhegmatogenous retinal detachment”. Retina8 (2012): 1666-1669.
- Zacharias LC., et al. “Surgical correction of retinal folds involving the fovea”. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina 1 (2014): 50-53.
- Gruener AM., et al. “Surgical repair of macular fold after vitrectomy for bullous rhegmatogenous retinal detachment”. Retina 4 (2013): 894-897.
- Mori R., et al. “Postoperative roll cake-like macular fold after retinal detachment surgery”. International Ophthalmology (2017): 1-4.
- Dell’Omo R., et al. “Evolution of outer retinal folds occurring after vitrectomy for retinal detachment repair”. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 13 (2012): 7928-7935.