Acute Bilateral Uveitis Following COVID-19 Vaccination: Case Reports
Catarina Pestana Aguiar*, Lígia Figueiredo, João Costa, Maria João Matias, Vítor Miranda, João Chibante-Pedro and Miguel Ruão
Ophthalmology Department, Centro Hospitalar de Entre o Douro e Vouga, Santa Maria da Feira, Portugal
*Corresponding Author: Catarina Pestana Aguiar, Ophthalmology Department, Centro Hospitalar de Entre o Douro e Vouga, Santa Maria da Feira, Portugal.
May 26, 2022; Published: June 03, 2022
Introduction: The development of the COVID-19 vaccines occurred promptly, and we are still learning about their side effects. Therefore, it is important to report possible medical associations to them.
Case 1: A 21-year-old female, with no significant medical history for this event, diagnosed with bilateral acute anterior uveitis three days after receiving the Pfizer-Biontech COVID-19 vaccine. An aggravation of the disease was observed after the administration of the second dose.
Case 2: A 70-year-old male, with no relevant medical history, presenting with a bilateral anterior uveitis after receiving the Pfizer-Biontech COVID-19 vaccine 3 to 4 weeks before. A macular edema of the right eye developed later in the course of the disease.
Discussion: Vaccines can induce uveitis and other ocular inflammatory conditions through different possible mechanisms. In both cases we reported here, the temporal relationship between the onset of the symptoms and the administration of the vaccines makes this medication a possible cause for the ocular manifestation.
Keywords: Uveitis; COVID-19; Vaccination; Adverse Drug Reaction; Ocular Inflammation
- Abou-Samra A., et al. "Multiple Evanescent White Dot Syndrome Following Intradermal Influenza Vaccination”. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation4 (2018): 528-530.
- Ng CC., et al. "Multiple evanescent white dot syndrome following influenza immunization - A multimodal imaging study”. American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports 19 (2020): 100845
- Biancardi AL., et al. "Anterior and Intermediate Uveitis Following Yellow Fever Vaccination with Fractional Dose: Case Reports”. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation 4 (2018): 1-3.
- Marinho P., et al. "Diffuse uveitis and chorioretinal changes after yellow fever vaccination: a re‑emerging epidemic”. International Journal of Retina and Vitreous 30 (2019).
- Jorge L., et al. "Presumed Unilateral Acute Idiopathic Maculopathy following H1N1 Vaccination”. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation 6 (2021): 1151-1153.
- Sood AB., et al. "Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada Disease Associated with Hepatitis B Vaccination”. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation4 (2019): 524-527.
- Cirillo N., et al. "Bell’s palsy and SARS-CoV-2 vaccines—an unfolding story”. Lancet Infectious Disease 9 (2021): 1210-121.
- Reyes-Capo DP., et al. "Acute abducens nerve palsy following COVID-19 vaccination”. Journal of AAPOS5 (2021): 302-303.
- Bohler AD., et al. "Acute macular neuroretinopathy following COVID-19 vaccination”. Eye (Lond). 36.3 (2022): 644–645.
- Fowler N., et al. "Acute-onset central serous retinopathy after immunization with COVID-19 mRNA vaccine”. American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports 23 (2021): 101136.
- Perry RJ., et al. "Cerebral venous thrombosis after vaccination against COVID-19 in the UK: a multicentre cohort study”. Lancet10306 (2021): 1147-1156.
- Crnej A., et al. "Acute corneal endothelial graft rejection following COVID-19 vaccination”. Journal Français D'ophtalmologie 8 (2021): e445-e447.
- Mudie LI., et al. "Panuveitis following Vaccination for COVID-19”. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation4 (2021): 741-742.
- Moorthy RS., et al. "Drug-induced uveitis”. Current Opinion on Ophthalmology 6 (2018): 588-603.
- Renisi G., et al. "Anterior uveitis onset after bnt162b2 vaccination: is this just a coincidence?". International Journal of Infectious Diseases 110 (2021): 95-97.
- Benage M., et al. "Vaccine associated uveitis”. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 56 (2015): 5789.
- Naranjo CA., et al. "A method for estimating the probability of adverse drug reactions”. Clinical Pharmacology Therapy 30 (1981): 239245.
- Goyal M., et al. “Bilateral multifocal choroiditis following COVID-19 vaccination”. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation4 (2021): 753-757.