Eyelid Reconstruction Using Nasal Septal Chondromucosal Graft in Eyelid Sebaceous
Gland Carcinoma Revisited
Rajan Sharma1*, Mahesh A2, Rani Sujatha3, KS Nagaraja4, Abid Maqbool1 and Yash Oza1
1Ex-Junior Resident, Department of Ophthalmology, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital, K.G Halli, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
2Associate Professor, Department of Plastic surgery, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital, K.G Halli, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
3Professor and HOD, Department of Ophthalmology, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital, K.G Halli, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
4Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital, K.G Halli, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
*Corresponding Author: Rajan Sharma, Ex-Junior Resident, Department of Ophthalmology, Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital, K.G Halli, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
May 23, 2021; Published: September 23, 2021
Sebaceous gland carcinoma (SGC) of the eyelids is a rare malignancy. Most cases require excision followed by eyelid reconstruction. Reconstruction of the eyelids after tumor removal remains one of the most challenging tasks. We report a case who developed tumor from the Meibomian glands of the upper eyelid. Excision of the tumor was done and reconstruction was done using a chondromucosal septal graft. The graft was procured and sutured in the place of excised tarsal plate on the upper eyelid. Anterior lamella of the eyelid was intact. We did not encounter flap necrosis, dehiscence, infection, ectropion, recurrence or irregular eyelid margins. Various techniques of eyelid reconstruction, their advantages and disadvantages have been reviewed.
Keywords: Eyelid; Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma; Meibomian Glands; Chondromucosal Septal Graft
- Shields JA., et al. “Sebaceous carcinoma of the eyelids. Personal experience with 60 cases”. Ophthalmology12 (2004): 2151-2157.
- Shields JA., et al. “Sebaceous carcinoma of the ocular region: a review”. Survey of Ophthalmology 2 (2005): 103-122.
- Johnson S., et al. “Sebaceous Cell Carcinoma: A Masquerade Syndrome”. Eye Rounds (2007).
- Tripathi R., et al. “Incidence and survival of sebaceous carcinoma in the United States”. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology 6 (2016): 1210-1215.
- Muqit MM., et al. “Observational prospective cohort study of patients with newly-diagnosed ocular sebaceous carcinoma”. British Journal of Ophthalmology 1 (2013): 47-51.
- Gupta P., et al. “Profile of eyelid malignancy in a Tertiary Health Care Center in North India”. Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics 3 (2017): 484-486.
- Kaliki S., et al. “Malignant Eyelid Tumors in India: A Study of 536 Asian Indian Patients”. Ocular Oncology and Pathology 3 (2019): 210-219.
- Sihota R., et al. “Malignant eyelid tumors in an Indian population”. Archives of Ophthalmology 114 (1996): 108-109.
- Xu Y., et al. “Updates on the clinical diagnosis and management of ocular sebaceous carcinoma: a brief review of the literature”. OncoTargets and Therapy 11 (2018): 3713-3720.
- Honavar SG. “Sebaceous gland carcinoma: Can we do better?” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 66 (2018): 1235-1237.
- Subramanian N. “Reconstructions of eyelid defects”. Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery1 (2011): 5-13.
- Czyz CN., et al. “Reconstructive options for the medial canthus and eyelids following tumor excision”. Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology1 (2011): 67-74.
- Dinakar D., et al. “A case of giant advanced sebaceous gland carcinoma”. The Indian Journal of Surgical Oncology4 (2013): 366-367.
- Murthy R., et al. “Neoadjuvant chemotherapy in the management of sebaceous gland carcinoma of the eyelid with regional lymph node metastasis”. Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 21 (2005): 307-309.
- Pfeiffer ML., et al. “Sentinel lymph node biopsy for eyelid and conjunctival tumors: what have we learned in the past decade?” Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery1 (2013): 57-62.
- Lopez R., et al. “The vascular system of the upper eyelid. Anatomical study and clinical interest”. Surgical and Radiologic Anatomy3 (2008): 265-269.
- Lo Torto F., et al. “Surgical Treatment with Locoregional Flaps for the Eyelid: A Review”. BioMed Research International (2017): 6742537.
- Rohrich RJ and Zbar RI. “The evolution of the Hughes tarsoconjunctival flap for lower eyelid reconstruction”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 104 (1999): 518-522.
- Cutler NC and Beard C. “A Method for partial and total reconstruction”. American Journal of Ophthalmology 39 (1955): 1-7.
- Pai VD., et al. “Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma of Upper Eyelid: Resection and Reconstruction using Eyelid Switch and Rotation Flap”. International Journal of Cancer Research and Molecular Mechanisms4 (2015).
- Suga H., et al. “Comparison of Nasal Septum and Ear Cartilage as a Graft for Lower Eyelid Reconstruction”. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 27 (2016): 305-307.
- Sharma R., et al. “A Rare Case of Post-Insect Bite PeriocularNecrotising Fasciitis: Successful Surgical Management”. Journal of Eye and Cataract Surgery3 (2017): 38.
- Millard DR Jr. “Eyelid repairs with a chondromucosal graft”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the Transplantation Bulletin 30 (1962): 267-272.
- Mehorta ON. “Repairing defects of the lower eyelid with a free chondromucosal graft”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 59 (1977): 689-693.
- Leibovitch I., et al. “Hard palate and free tarsal grafts as posterior lamella substitutes in upper lid surgery”. Ophthalmology3 (2006): 489-496.
- Krastinova D., et al. “Rehabilitation of the paralysed or lax lower eyelid using a graft of conchal cartilage”. British Journal of Plastic Surgery 1 (2002): 12-19.
- Yamamoto N., et al. “Eyelid Reconstruction Using Oral Mucosa and Ear Cartilage Strips as Sandwich Grafting”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open are open 4 (2017): e1301.
- E Hatef Naimi., et al. “Upper Eye Lid Reconstruction with Acellular Dermal Graft (AlloDerm) in Cancer Patients”. Investigative Ophthalmology aand Visual Science 13 (2007): 5226.
- Matsuo K., et al. “Lower eyelid reconstruction with a conchal cartilage graft”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery4 (1987): 547-552.
- Nigro MV., et al. “Comparative analysis of the influence of perichondrium on conjunctival epithelialization on conchal cartilage grafts in eyelid reconstruction: experimental study in rabbits”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery1 (2009): 55-63.
- Scuderi N., et al. “Total and subtotal upper eyelid reconstruction with the nasal chondromucosal flap: a 10-year experience”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery5 (2005): 1259-1265.
- Scuderi N., et al. “Clinical use of a new axial chondro-mucosal flap in wide full-thickness eyelid reconstructions”. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina2 (1999): 91-97.
- Rubino C., et al. “Island chondromucosal flap from the nose in reconstruction of the eyelid. A light and scanning electron microscopic study”. Scandinavian Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Hand Surgery4 (1997): 303-310.