Acta Scientific MEDICAL SCIENCES (ISSN: 2582-0931)

Research Article Volume 6 Issue 10

Nicoletta Merli1, Paolo Lissoni1, Giuseppe Di Fede1, Marco Tornasi1, Dino Ceppodomo1 and Carlo Pastore2*

Md Monir Hossain1*, MA Jalil Ansari2, Lubaib Manzoor3, Humaira Tabassum Bina3 and Hasin Tahmid4

1Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Sahabuddin Medical College Hospital, Gulshan, Dhaka, Bangladesh

2Professor and Head of Department of Medicine, M. H. Shamorita Medical College Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh

3Honorary Medical Officer, Shaheed Suhrawardy Medical College Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh

4Resident Medical Officer, Popular Medical College Hospital, Dhaka, Bangladesh

*Corresponding Author: Md Monir Hossain, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Sahabuddin Medical College Hospital, Gulshan, Dhaka, Bangladesh.

Received: September 09, 2022; Published: September 29, 2022

Abstract

Background: The first COVID 19 patient was detected on the 8th March 2020in Bangladesh. The laboratory findings of COVID 19 patients of previous studies may be helpful in the treatment arena of COVID 19. We have very limited research-oriented data regarding the laboratory findings of COVID 19 patients.

Aim of the Study: The aim of this study was to assess the laboratory findings of COVID 19 suspected patients.

Methods: This was prospective observational study and it was conducted in the Department of Medicine, Sahabuddin Medical College Hospital, Gulshan, Dhaka, Bangladesh, during the period from November 2021 to March 2022. In total 126 COVID 19 suspected patients referred from government primary/secondary healthcare institutions were included as the study subjects. The ethical committee of the mentioned hospital was approved this study. All Data were collected, analyzed by using MS Office and SPSS version 23 programs as per need.

Results: In laboratory blood tests of the participants, we observed that, the mean (±SD) white blood cell (WBC), Neutrophil (N), Leukocytes (L) and S. Creatinine of the participants were found as 10.80 ± 8.99 X 109/L, 77.21 ± 47.54 X 109/L, 19.63 ± 11.83 X 109/L and 1.50 ± 2.36 respectively. Besides these, in electrolyte analysis the mean (±SD) Na+, K+ and Cl- of the participants were found as 139.50 ± 4.93, 3.68 ± 0.69 and 105.67 ± 5.86 mmol/L respectively. As per the laboratory findings 41% (n = 52) patients were defined as COVID 19 patients whereas the rest 59% (n = 74) were not positive. On the other hand, in RT-PCR test only 13% patients were detected as COVID 19 cases whereas the rest 87% were COVID 19 negative. Noted that, all the RT-PCR positive cases were previously detected Covid 19 positive by laboratory tests.

Conclusion: In this study, laboratory findings of suspected COVID 19 patients ensured the pre-detection of COVID 19 positive cases. Although RT-PCR test is considered as the gold standard for detecting COVID 19 patients, laboratory findings can play an important role in primary screening of COVID 19 suspected as well as positive cases.

Keywords: Laboratory Findings; Diagnosis; Covid-19; RT-PCR; Suspected Patients

References

  1. Ruan S. “Likelihood of survival of coronavirus disease 2019”. The Lancet Infectious Diseases6 (2020): 630-631.
  2. Saha Priom and Jahida Gulshan. "Systematic Assessment of COVID-19 Pandemic in Bangladesh: Effectiveness of Preparedness in the First Wave”. Frontiers in Public Health 9 (2021).
  3. Yang F., et al. “[Pulmonary rehabilitation guidelines in the principle of 4S for patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)]”. ZhonghuaJie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi3 (2020): 180-182.
  4. Huang C., et al. “Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China”. Lancet 10223 (2020): 497-506.
  5. Guan WJ., et al. “Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China”. The New England Journal of Medicine 18 (2020): 1708 1720.
  6. Pauline V., et al. “Clinical features of covid-19, The wide array of symptoms has implications for the testing strategy”. BMJ 369 (2020): m1470.
  7. Covid-19 Status Bangladesh (2020).
  8. “Clinical management of severe acute respiratory infection when COVID– 19 is suspected” (2020).
  9. Jmaa MB., et al. “Epidemiological profile and performance of triage decision-making process of COVID-19 suspected cases in southern Tunisia”. African Journal of Emergency Medicine1 (2022): 1-6.
  10. Xiao AT., et al. “Dynamic profile of RT-PCR findings from 301 COVID-19 patients in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study”. Journal of Clinical Virology 127 (2020): 104346.
  11. Zhu B., et al. “Correlation between white blood cell count at admission and mortality in COVID-19 patients: a retrospective study”. BMC Infectious Disease 1 (2021): 574.
  12. Wu Z and McGoogan JM. “Characteristics of and Important Lessons from the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Outbreak in China. Summary of a Report of 72 314 Cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention”. JAMA 323 (2020): 1239-1242.
  13. Soraya GV and Ulhaq ZS. “Crucial laboratory parameters in COVID-19 diagnosis and prognosis: An updated meta-analysis”. Medicina Clínica (Barc) 155 (2020): 143-151.
  14. Zou Z., et al. “Prognostic factors for severe acute respiratory syndrome: a clinical analysis of 165 cases”. Clinical Infectious Disease 38 (2004): 483-489.
  15. Al-Samkari H., et al. “COVID-19 and coagulation: bleeding and thrombotic manifestations of SARS-CoV-2 infection”. Blood 1365 (2020): 489-500.
  16. Qin C., et al. “Dysregulation of immune response in patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China. Clinical infectious diseases: an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America 2020”. Clinical Infectious Disease 715 (2020): 762-768.

Citation

Citation: Md Monir Hossain., et al. “Laboratory Findings of COVID 19 Positive A Tertiary Care Hospital Study in Bangladesh".Acta Scientific Medical Sciences 6.10 (2022): 51-53.

Copyright

Copyright: © 2022 Md Monir Hossain., et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.




Metrics

Acceptance rate30%
Acceptance to publication20-30 days
Impact Factor1.403

Indexed In





News and Events


  • Certification for Review
    Acta Scientific certifies the Editors/reviewers for their review done towards the assigned articles of the respective journals.
  • Submission Timeline for Upcoming Issue
    The last date for submission of articles for regular Issues is December 15, 2022.
  • Publication Certificate
    Authors will be issued a "Publication Certificate" as a mark of appreciation for publishing their work.
  • Best Article of the Issue
    The Editors will elect one Best Article after each issue release. The authors of this article will be provided with a certificate of “Best Article of the Issue”.
  • Welcoming Article Submission
    Acta Scientific delightfully welcomes active researchers for submission of articles towards the upcoming issue of respective journals.
  • Contact US