Мultiple Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in a Patient with Dextrocardia and Situs Viscerum Inversus Totalis
МV Zhelikhazheva*, VYu Меrzlyakov, RK Baichurin and АМ Kааbak.
FSBI “A.N. Bakulev National Medical Research Center of cardiovascular surgery”, Мinistry of Health of Russia, Russia
*Corresponding Author: МV Zhelikhazheva, FSBI “A.N. Bakulev National Medical Research Center of cardiovascular surgery”, Мinistry of Health of Russia, Russia.
June 01, 2022; Published: July 06, 2022
Dextrocardia with situs inversus is a rare congenital anomaly in which the heart and the abdominal organs orient themselves in a mirror-image reversal of the normal anatomy. Coronary artery disease incidence is similar to that of the normal population. Performing coronary artery bypass grafting in this subset of the population poses few difficulties. These limitations can be overcome by few technical adjustments by the surgeon and the team which will be discussed in our article. Сoronary artery bypass surgery (CABG) in dextrocardia with situs inversus patients is reported less in literature. Due to abnormal looping and associated other congenital anomalies, anesthetic implications and surgical difficulties become challenging in these patients. The article presents a successful case of multiple coronary artery bypass grafting in a patient with dextrocardia and situs inversus totalis.
Keywords: Dextrocardia; Situs Inversus; Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Kasimova RM and Timoshok AD. “Situs viscerum inversus totalis (Clinical case)”. Scientific Review 5-3 (2019).
- Pattakos G., et al. “Transcatheter aortic valve replacement in a patient with dextrocardia and situs inversus totalis”. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery 1 (2019): e33-e35.
- Kozmin DYu., et al. “Offpump coronary artery bypass surgery in a patient with dextrocardia and situs inversus totalis: a case report”. Russian Journal of Cardiology8 (2020): 3684.
- Irvin RG and Ballenger JF. “Coronary artery bypass surgery in a patient with situs inversus”. Chest 81 (1982): 380-381.
- Belozerov YuM. “Detskaya kardiologiya”. M: ME Dpressinform (2004): 600.
- Merkulov EV., et al. “Koronarnaya angiografiya, ventrikulografiya, shuntografiya”. M: Media Medika, (2011): 100.
- Lee SE., et al. “Situs anomalies and gastrointestinal abnormalities”. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 7 (2006): 1237-1242.
- Makalskiy PD., et al. “Off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting in a patient with dextrocardia with situs inversus”. Russian Journal of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery 12.3 (2019): 247-250.
- Erdil N., et al. “Situs inversus and coronary artery disease”. Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals 1 (2002): 53-54.
- Saad RA., et al. “Should you stand on the left or the right of a patient with dextrocardia who needs coronary surgery?” Interactive CardioVascular and Thoracic Surgery 4 (2009): 698-702.
- Murtuza B., et al. “Coronary revascularization in adults with dextrocardia: Surgical implications of the anatomic variants”. Texas Heart Institute Journal 6 (2010): 633-640.
- Yamashiro S., et al. “Emergency off-pump complete arterial revascularization in a patient with dextrocardia”. General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery11 (2009): 625-628.
- Subash S., et al. “Off-pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery in a Patient with Dextrocardia and Situs Inversus: Anesthetic, Surgical Consideration and Role of Transesophageal Echocardiography”. Heart Views 3 (2017): 100-103.
- Chui WH and Sarkar P. “Coronary artery bypass grafting in dextrocardia with situs inversus totalis”. Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery (Torino) 44.5 (2003): 617-619.
- Ravikumar MS., et al. “Technical Aspects: Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting in a Case of Dextrocardia With Situs Inversus”. Cureus5 (2021): e14932.