Public Health Update About Tobacco Use - A Review
KG Sruthi1* and Bhargavi2
1Independent Researcher, Hyderabad, India
2Independent Researcher, Chennai, India
*Corresponding Author: KG Sruthi, Independent Researcher, Hyderabad, India.
April 01, 2022; Published: June 27, 2022
Tobacco abuse has become a threat to public health worldwide. Management and prevention are two approaches to controlling them. A multidisciplinary approach related to various areas of sociology, psychology, family, and traditional cultures is required to tackle this problem. This review is about Tobacco its burden, and ways to prevent it.
Keywords: Tobacco; Public Health; India
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US); Office of the Surgeon General (US). Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General's Report on Alcohol, Drugs, and Health. Washington (DC): US Department of Health and Human Services. Vision for the future: a public health approach (2016).
- GBD 2019 Chewing Tobacco Collaborators. “Spatial, temporal, and demographic patterns in the prevalence of chewing tobacco use in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019”. Lancet Public Health7 (2021): e482-e499.
- WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2019: The MPOWER package. Geneva: World Health Organization (2019).
- int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tobacco/key facts
- GBD 2015 Tobacco Collaborators. “Smoking prevalence and attributable disease burden in 195 countries and territories, 1990-2015: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015”. Lancet 10082 (2017): 1885-1906.
- Committee on the Public Health Implications of Raising the Minimum Age for Purchasing Tobacco Products; Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice; Institute of Medicine; Bonnie RJ, Stratton K, Kwan LY, editors. Public Health Implications of Raising the Minimum Age of Legal Access to Tobacco Products. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); The Effects of Tobacco Use on Health (2015).
- int/initiatives/mpower/Tobacco control/
- gov.in/National tobacco Control program/National Health Mission
- Emmons KM. “Smoking cessation and tobacco control: an overview”. Chest 116 (1999): 490S-492S.
- Benowitz NL. “Nicotine addiction”. The New England Journal of Medicine 24 (2010): 2295-303.
- McKay AJ., et al. “Strategies for tobacco control in India: a systematic review”. PLoS One4 (2015): e0122610.
- Adams TN and Morris J. “Smoking”. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing (2022).