Mukhtar Mehboob*, Manzoor Ahmed, Muhammad Zubair and Rubina Naz
Mohtarma Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Quetta, Pakistan
*Corresponding Author: Mukhtar Mehboob, Mohtarma Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Quetta, Pakistan.
Received: April 29, 2021; Published: August 30, 2021
Ingestion of a foreign body in children inadvertent or intentional is a common emergency worldwide. A 2-year-old girl who ingested three magnets was presented with vomiting and generalized abdominal pain. Plain abdominal X-Ray revealed three oval shape toy magnets attached together in the upper abdomen. Exploratory laparotomy revealed two magnets in the stomach, which were evacuated. The third magnet was removed from 4th part of the duodenum. The perforation in the duodenum and posterior wall of stomach were repaired. The recovery of the patient was smooth. It was evident that body temperature and acidic & alkaline environment of intestine not hampered the magnetic properties. The magnetic forces exceed the tissue perfusion pressure of intestine lead to local necrosis and perforation.
Keywords: Foreign Body; Magnet; Complications
Citation: Mukhtar Mehboob, et al. “Multiple Toy Magnets Ingestion; An Alarming Emergency”.Acta Scientific Medical Sciences 5.9 (2021): 167-169.
Copyright: © 2021 Mukhtar Mehboob., et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.