Acta Scientific Medical Sciences (ASMS)(ISSN: 2582-0931)

Research Article Volume 4 Issue 9

Burnout Syndrome (BS) among Emergency Medical Workers

Nataliya Petrova*, Michail Duben, Sarkis Pogosyan and Vladimir Bratslavsky

First Saint - Petersburg State Medical University, I.P. Pavlov, Russia

*Corresponding Author: Nataliya Petrova, First Saint - Petersburg State Medical University, I.P. Pavlov, Russia.

Received: July 22, 2020; Published: August 12, 2020



 The doctors and nurses belong to “person-person” professions. The features of these professions are: high responsibility, a large number of contacts with people, including the people with negative emotions. So they have the high risk of emotional stress. The work in emergency services is the work in difficult and even extreme situations with a high level of response, consequences for life and health. So this medical staff have a real risk of BS with its negative influence to health. In this article the results of BS study among emergency medical workers are presented. It was used a three-factor model of K. Maslach and S. Jackson (in the adaptation of N.E. Vodopianova): the level of emotional exhaustion, depersonalization, reduction of professional achievements were analyzed. The study involved 125 employees. The distribution according to the degree of emotional exhaustion was as follows: 10.8% of the respondents had a low degree, 16.2% had an average degree, 32.4% had a high degree and 40.6% had an extremely high degree of emotional exhaustion. The distribution by the degree of depersonalization was as follows: 5.4% of the respondents had a medium degree, 10.8% had a high degree, 83.8% had an extremely high degree. The distribution by the degree of depersonalization was as follows: 62.2% of the respondents had a low degree, 32.4% - an average degree and 5.4% of employees had a high degree. The distribution of emotional burnout in total was as follows: 2.7% of respondents had a low degree, 8.1% had an average degree, 37.8% had a high degree, and 51.4% of respondents had an extremely high degree of emotional burnout. There are differences between some groups of respondents. The necessity of measures for the prevention of the syndrome among doctors has been proved.

Keywords: Burnout Syndrome; Medical Workers; Doctors’ and Nursing’ Health



  1. MA Kovalchuk. “Burnout syndrome in social professions and methods of its prevention”. Yaroslavl: Publishing House of FSBEI of HE Yaroslavl State Agricultural Academy (2017): 128.
  2. TA Rovova and IA Romanova. “Psychological aspects of emotional burnout of employees”. Krasnodar: Kuban state University (2015): 120.
  3. M Yu Lazareva and KO Nazarova. “How to recognize burnout syndrome and correct the situation before it is too late”. Head Nurse 8(2019):56-65.
  4. C Maslach. Burnout. The cost of caring, CA.: Los Altos: Malor books (2015): 276.
  5. LS Chutko and NV Kozina. Burnout Syndrome. Clinical and psychological aspects, 3rd ed., M: MEDpress-inform (2015): 256.
  6. GA Tkachenko and VA Agafonov. “Professional burnout at doctors and nurses of cancer clinics”. M: FSBEI IN RNIMU N.I. Pirogova (2018): 48.
  7. Yu Veselova and PA Veselova. “Factors of professional-emotional burnout among medical workers in dentistry”. Nurse 9 (2017): 75-79.
  8. TM Skovholt and M Trotter-Mathison. “The resilient practitioner: burnout and compassion fatigue prevention and self care strategies for the helping professions”. London and New York: Taylor and Francis Group (2016): 304.


Citation: Nataliya Petrova., et al. “Burnout Syndrome (BS) among Emergency Medical Workers". Acta Scientific Medical Sciences 4.9 (2020): 04-07.


Acceptance rate30%
Acceptance to publication20-30 days
Impact Factor1.403

Indexed In

News and Events

  • Certification for Review
    Acta Scientific certifies the Editors/reviewers for their review done towards the assigned articles of the respective journals.
  • Submission Timeline for Upcoming Issue
    The last date for submission of articles for regular Issues is July 10, 2024.
  • Publication Certificate
    Authors will be issued a "Publication Certificate" as a mark of appreciation for publishing their work.
  • Best Article of the Issue
    The Editors will elect one Best Article after each issue release. The authors of this article will be provided with a certificate of "Best Article of the Issue"
  • Welcoming Article Submission
    Acta Scientific delightfully welcomes active researchers for submission of articles towards the upcoming issue of respective journals.

Contact US