A Survey Study For the 5G Emerging Technologies
Hisham A Kholidy1*, Wendel Balbuena2, Mahmoud M Badr2, Atta-ur
Rahman2, Ahmed F Sayed4, and Fathy M Mustafa5
1Senior Member, IEEE, Department of Networks and Computer Security, College of Engineering, SUNY Polytechnic Institute, Utica, NY, USA
2Department of Networks and Computer Security, College of Engineering, SUNY
Polytechnic Institute, Utica, NY, USA
3Department of Computer Science, College of Computer Science and Information
Technology, Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
4Telecom Egypt, Transmission department, Fayoum, Egypt
5Faculty of Engineering, Beni-Seuf University, Beni-Seuf, Egypt
*Corresponding Author: Hisham A Kholidy, Senior Member, IEEE, Department of Networks and Computer Security, College of Engineering, SUNY Polytechnic Institute, Utica, NY, USA.
January 04, 2023; Published: March 20, 2023
5G is the next-generation mobile network, and it has been developed with the purpose of covering the network requirements of today, and the future. 5G has the goal to make network connectivity more accessible, faster, energy efficient, and reliable, all while significatively reducing latency and enabling a denser network capable of handling both consumer mobile devices and massive machine-type communications and leaving space for future innovations. With such an ambitious goal, there come many obstacles and challenges that the industry must face when it comes to the proper implementation of this technology so that it can reach its potential. In this article we will discuss some of the emerging technologies in 5G, presenting an introductory overview of them as well as their benefits, the challenges these present, along with their proposed solutions gathered from recent academic sources.
Keywords: 5G; 5GPPP Architecture; D2D; Mobile Edge Computing; Mobility Management; Broadcast/Multicast; RAN; 5G Core Networks; Radio Access Technologies; RAT
- "Everything you need to know about 5G".
- G Vos. “What is 5G NR (New Radio)?”. Sierra Wireless, 13 January (2022).
- S Redana., et al. “View on 5G Architecture”. 5G PPP architecture working group, June (2019).
- FA Al-Zahran., et al. “Resource Allocation and Optimization in Device-to-Device Communication 5G Networks”. Computers, Materials and Continua1 (2021): 1201-1214.
- NO Nwazor and V Ugah. “Device-To-Device (D2D) Data Communications in 5g Networks”. International Journal of Advances in Engineering and Management (IJAEM) 1 (2022): 1151-1154.
- A Filali., et al. “Multi-Access Edge Computing: A Survey”. IEEE Access 8 (2020): 197017-197046.
- D Bhamare., et al. “A survey on service function chaining”. Journal of Network and Computer Applications 75 (2016): 138-155.
- R Kamran., et al. “A Survey on Multicast Broadcast Services in 5G and Beyond” (2022).
- AN Kasim. “A survey mobility management in 5G networks”. arXiv preprint arXiv:2006.15598, (2020).
- S Alotaibi. “Key Challenges of Mobility Management and Handover Process”. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security4 (2022): 139-146.
- F D Priscoli., et al. “Capacity-constrained Wardrop equilibria and application to multi-connectivity in 5G networks”. Journal of the Franklin Institute17 (2021): 9364-9384.
- F Lisi., et al. “Multi-Connectivity in 5G terrestrial-Satellite Networks: the 5G-ALLSTAR Solution”. arXiv preprint arXiv:2004.00368 (2020).
- Parvez A., et al. “A survey on low latency towards 5G: RAN, core network and caching solutions”. IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials4 (2018): 3098-3130.
- Hisham A Kholidy. “Multi-Layer Attack Graph Analysis in the 5G Edge Network Using a Dynamic Hexagonal Fuzzy Method”. Sensors 22 (2022): 9.
- Hisham A Kholidy., et al. “5G Core Security in Edge Networks: A Vulnerability Assessment Approach”. the 26th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (IEEE ISCC 2021), Athens, Greece, September 5-8, (2021).
- Hisham A Kholidy. “A Triangular Fuzzy based Multicriteria Decision Making Approach for Assessing Security Risks in 5G Networks”. December (2021).
- Kholidy HA and Fabrizio Baiardi. “CIDS: A framework for Intrusion Detection in Cloud Systems”. in the 9th Conf. on Information Technology: New Generations ITNG 2012, April 16-18, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
- Kholidy HA. “Autonomous mitigation of cyber risks in the Cyber–Physical Systems". Future Generation Computer Systems 115 (2021): 171-187.
- Hisham A Kholidy., et al. “A risk mitigation approach for autonomous cloud intrusion response system”. Computing Journal, Springer, June (2016).
- Hisham A Kholidy. “Detecting impersonation attacks in cloud computing environments using a centric user profiling approach”. Future Generation Computer Systems 115 (2020): 17.
- Kholidy HA., et al. “A hierarchical cloud intrusion detection system: design and evaluation”. International Journal on Cloud Computing Services and Architecture (IJCCSA) 2 (2012): 1-24.
- Kholidy HA., et al. A Cost-Aware Model for Risk Mitigation in Cloud Computing Systems Successful accepted in 12th ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA), Marrakech, Morocco, November, (2015).
- A H M Jakaria., et al. “Trajectory Synthesis for a UAV Swarm Based on Resilient Data Collection Objectives”. in IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, (2022).
- HA Kholidy., et al. “Toward Zero Trust Security IN 5G Open Architecture Network Slices”. MILCOM 2022 - 2022 IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM), Rockville, MD, USA, (2022): 577-582.
- Hisham A Kholidy and Riaad Kamaludeen. “An Innovative Hashgraph-based Federated Learning Approach for Multi Domain 5G Network Protection”. IEEE Future Networks (5G World Forum), Montreal, Canada, October (2022).
- Hisham A Kholidy., et al. “An Experimental 5G Testbed for Secure Network Slicing Evaluation”. IEEE Future Networks (5G World Forum), Montreal, Canada, October (2022).
- H A Kholidy and S Hariri. “Toward An Experimental Federated 6G Testbed: A Federated Leaning Approach”. 2022 IEEE/ACS 19th International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA), Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (2022): 1-6.
- NI Haque., et al. “BIoTA: Control-Aware Attack Analytics for Building Internet of Things”. 2021 18th Annual IEEE International Conference on Sensing, Communication, and Networking (SECON), Rome, Italy (2021): 1-9.
- Kholidy HA., et al. “Attacks Detection in SCADA Systems Using an Improved Non-Nested Generalized Exemplars Algorithm”. The 12th IEEE International Conference on Computer Engineering and Systems (ICCES 2017), December 19-20, (2017).
- Qian Chen., et al. “Towards Realizing a Distributed Event and Intrusion Detection System”. The Int. Conf. on Future Network Systems and Security, Florida, USA, Aug (2017).
- Hisham A Kholidy., et al. “A Finite State Hidden Markov Model for Predicting Multistage Attacks in Cloud Systems”. in the 12th IEEE Int. Conf. on Dependable, Autonomic and Secure Computing, China, August (2014).
- Ferrucci R and Kholidy HA. “A Wireless Intrusion Detection for the Next Generation (5G) Networks”. Master’s Thesis, SUNY poly (2020).
- Rahman A., et al. “Network anomaly detection in 5G networks”. Mathematical Modelling of Engineering Problems2 (2022): 397-404.
- Hisham A Kholidy. “Correlation Based Sequence Alignment Models For Detecting Masquerades in Cloud Computing”. IET Information Security Journal (2019).
- Hisham A Kholidy. “ An Intelligent Swarm Based Prediction Approach For Predicting Cloud Computing User Resource Needs”. Computer Communications 151 (2020): 133-144.
- Hisham A Kholidy and Abdelkarim Erradi. “VHDRA: A Vertical and Horizontal Dataset Reduction Approach for Cyber- Physical Power-Aware Intrusion Detection Systems”. Security and Communication Networks Journal (ISI IF: 1.376), March 7 (2019).
- Hisham A Kholidy., et al. “QoS Optimization for Cloud Service Composition Based on Economic Model”. Book Chapter in the Internet of Things. User-Centric IoT, Volume 150 of the series Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering (2015): 355-366.
- Hisham A Kholidy and Alghathbar Khaled S. “Adapting and accelerating the Stream Cipher Algorithm RC4 using Ultra Gridsec and HIMAN and use it to secure HIMAN Data”. Journal of Information Assurance and Security (JIAS) 4 (2009): 274-283.
- Hisham A Kholidy. “Towards A Scalable Symmetric Key Cryptographic Scheme: Performance Evaluation and Security Analysis”. IEEE International Conference on Computer Applications and Information Security (ICCAIS), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, May 1-3 (2019).
- Samar SH., et al. “ICSD: Integrated Cloud Services Dataset”. Springer, Lecture Note in Computer Science (2021).
- Stefano Iannucci., et al. “A Comparison of Graph-Based Synthetic Data Generators for Benchmarking Next-Generation Intrusion Detection Systems”. IEEE Cluster 2017, Sept 5 2017, Hawaii, USA (2017).
- Mustafa FM., et al. “Enhanced dispersion reduction using apodized uniform fiber Bragg grating for optical MTDM transmission systems”. Optical and Quantum Electronics 55 (2023): 55.
- M M Badr., et al. “Smart Parking System With Privacy Preservation and Reputation Management Using Blockchain”. in IEEE Access 8 (2020): 150823-150843.
- SA Alansari., et al. “Efficient and Privacy- Preserving Infection Control System for Covid-19-Like Pandemics Using Blockchain”. in IEEE Internet of Things Journal 9.4 (2022): 2744-2760.
- S Abdelfattah., et al. “Efficient Search Over Encrypted Medical Data With Known-Plaintext/Background Models and Unlinkability”. in IEEE Access 9 (2021): 151129-151141.
- MM Badr., et al. “Blockchain-Based Ride-Sharing System with Accurate Matching and Privacy-Preservation”. 2021 International Symposium on Networks, Computers and Communications (ISNCC), (2021): 1-8.
- MM Badr., et al. “A Novel Evasion Attack Against Global Electricity Theft Detectors and a Countermeasure”. in IEEE Internet of Things Journal (2020).
- S A Alansari., et al. “Efficient and Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing System for Covid-19 using Blockchain”. 2021 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops (ICC Workshops), (2021): 1-6.
- M M Badr., et al. “A novel vision to mitigate pilot contamination in massive MIMO-based 5G networks”. 2016 11th International Conference on Computer Engineering and Systems (ICCES), (2016): 366-371.
- M M Badr., et al. “A spatiotemporal scenario to mitigate pilot contamination in 5G massive MIMO systems”. 2017 12th International Conference on Computer Engineering and Systems (ICCES), (2017): 95- 100.