A Review of Multipath Routing Protocols in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (MANETS)
Wilson Musyoka1* and Charles Katila2
1Computer Science Department, St. Paul’s University, Kenya
2Cooperative University of Kenya, Kenya
*Corresponding Author: Wilson Musyoka, Computer Science Department, St. Paul’s University, Kenya.
June 02, 2021; Published: October 13, 2021
In the recent past, the area of Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (MANETs) and its variant Vehicular Ad Hoc Network (VANET) are increasingly finding applications in the Internet of Things (IoT). MANETs have a particular characteristic of a rapidly changing network topology. This feature has an effect on: network connectivity, radio channel utilization and energy consumption of the network. Depending on the speed at which nodes are moving, designing routing protocol for MANET can be extremely challenging. Several works in literature have been proposed to address this problem. This paper provides a survey of the recent protocols proposed for MANETs which considers Mobility, Quality of Service (QoS) and Energy conservation network aspects. In this paper, special attention is paid to the contributions on multi-path mutation-based protocols and application scenarios.
Keywords: MANETS; M2M; QOS; AODV; AOMDV; TORA; DSR; ABR; Multi-hop; Multipath
- A Gill., et al. “Social Networking Usage and Grades Among College Students”. Proc. - IEEE Mil. Commun. Conf. MILCOM 2.3 (2016): 1-6.
- “Cisco Annual Internet Report (2018-2023)”. Cisco (2020): 1-41.
- R K Sahu and N S Chaudhari. “Energy reduction multipath routing protocol for MANET using recoil technique”. Electron5 (2018).
- S Husnjak., et al. “Data Traffic Offload from Mobile to Wi-Fi Networks: Behavioural Patterns of Smartphone Users”. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing 2018 (2018).
- B H Khudayer., et al. “Efficient route discovery and link failure detection mechanisms for source routing protocol in mobile ad-hoc networks”. IEEE Access 8 (2020): 24019-24032.
- M Krzysztoń. “Comparison of MANET self-organization methods for boundary detection/tracking of heavy gas cloud”. 8 (2016): 1075-1084.
- T Hayajna., et al. “Ensuring Reliable and Stable Communications in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks” (2017).
- A R Alharbi. “An Overview of Auto-configuration Protocols in Mobile Ad Hoc Wireless Multi-hop Network”. (2019): 47-55.
- T K Saini and S C Sharma. “Recent advancements, review analysis, and extensions of the AODV with the illustration of the applied concept”. Ad Hoc Networks 103 (2020).
- R Thiagarajan. “Efficient Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Network”. 2017 Third Int. Conf. Adv. Electr. Electron. Information, Commun. Bio-Informatics (2020): 427-431.
- P Ruano., et al. “We are IntechOpen , the world ’ s leading publisher of Open Access books Built by scientists , for scientists TOP 1%”. Intech tourism (2016): 13.
- N Raza., et al. “Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks Applications and Its Challenges”. (2016): 131-136.
- M Dahiya. “Routing Algorithms for Mobile Ad-Hoc Network”. 2017 (2018).
- F T Al-Dhief., et al. “MANET Routing Protocols Evaluation: AODV, DSR and DSDV Perspective”. MATEC Web Conf. 150 (2018): 1-6.
- Y Bai., et al. “Performance comparison and evaluation of the proactive and reactive routing protocols for MANETs”. Wireless Telecommuncation Symp (2017): 1-5.
- A Zafar. “An overview of Zone Routing Protocol An overview of Zone Routing Protocol”. Journal of Advanced Science and Technology 4 (2012): 1-5.
- B Ilyas and D Fedoua. “A survey on the fundamental and advanced mobile ad hoc network routing protocols”. International Journal of Systems, Control and Communications 2 (2017): 150.
- N Shrivastava and A Motwani. “A Modification to DSR using Multipath Technique”. International Journal of Computer Application 11 (2014): 24-28.
- D B Johnson and D A Maltz. “Dynamic Source Routing in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks”. Mobile Computing (2007): 153-181.
- N Gondaliya and D Kathiriya. “An Application of Ad Hoc Networks in Disaster Area for Search and Rescue Operation : A Survery and Challenges”. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering3 (2014).
- E H Tabrizi., et al. “Efficient and dynamic routing in mobile ad hoc networks using an evolutionary approach Efficient and dynamic routing in mobile ad hoc networks using an evolutionary approach”. no. November (2017).
- D Lei., et al. “Performance Analysis and Comparison of Routing Protocols in Mobile Ad Hoc Network”. 2015 Fifth Int. Conf. Instrum. Meas. Comput. Commun. Control. 61272491 (2015): 1533-1536.
- A Dorri and A Dorri. “DEBH : detecting and eliminating black holes in mobile ad hoc network which assists nodes in detecting and eliminating malicious”. Wireless Networks (2017).
- A Seehra. “A Novel Approach for Preventing Black-Hole Attack in MANETs”. 2.3 (2014): 1-9.
- D G Reina., et al. “A Survey on the Application of Evolutionary Algorithms for Mobile Multihop Ad Hoc Network Optimization Problems”. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks 2016 (2016).
- A Bhardwaj and H El-ocla. “Multipath Routing Protocol Using Genetic Algorithm in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks”. 8 (2020).
- S H Nasiri., et al. “Improving Link Reliability in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks Using Fuzzy Nodes”. Proc. 2008 Int. Conf. Commun. Inf. Technol. Marathon Beach, Attica, Greece (2008): 252-255.
- Y Ko and N H Vaidya. “Location-Aided Routing (LAR) in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks * c s.”
- Shih-Lin Wu., et al. “A new multi-channel MAC protocol with on-demand channel assignment for multi-hop mobile ad hoc networks”. Proc. Int. Symp. Parallel Archit. Algorithms Networks. I-SPAN 4 (2000): 232-237.
- T Bhatia., et al. “A genetic algorithm based distance-aware routing protocol for wireless sensor networks”. Computers and Electrical Engineering 56 (2016): 441-455.
- M Ahmad., et al. “Honey bee algorithm - based efficient cluster formation and optimization scheme in mobile ad hoc networks”. International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks 6 (2017).
- M Alam., et al. “Swarm Intelligence in MANETs: A Survey”. 9359.5 (2016): 141-150.
- D Jinil Persis and T Paul Robert. “Ant based multi-objective routing optimization in mobile AD-HOC network”. Indian Journal of Science and Technology 9 (2015): 875-888.
- “An Enhanced Route Failure Recovery Model for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks”. Journal of Computational Science 10.8 (2014): 1561-1568.
- H Wirtz., et al. “Establishing Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks in 802.11 Infrastructure Mode”. CHANTS ’11 Proc. 6th ACM Work. Challenged networks (2011): 49-51.
- L You., et al. “A hop count based heuristic routing protocol for mobile delay tolerant networks”. ScientificWorldJournal (2014): 603547.
- TK Vu and S Kwon. “Mobility-assisted on-demand routing algorithm for MANETs in the presence of location errors”. The Scientific World Journal 2014 (2014).
- B Sivakumar., et al. “A survey on investigating the need for intelligent power-aware load balanced routing protocols for handling critical links in MANETs”. The Scientific World Journal 2014 (2014).
- A Moussaoui., et al. “A link-state QoS routing protocol based on link stability for Mobile Ad hoc Networks”. Journal of Network and Computer Applications 1 (2014): 117-125.
- K Kumar and V P Singh. “Power consumption based simulation model for mobile ad-hoc network”. Wireless Personal Communications 2 (2014): 1437-1448.
- S Tabatabaei., et al. “A New Routing Protocol to Increase Throughput in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks”. Wireless Personal Communications3 (2015): 1765-1778.
- S Tabatabaei and F Hosseini. “A Fuzzy Logic-Based Fault Tolerance New Routing Protocol in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks”. International Journal of Fuzzy Systems 5 (2016): 883-893.
- S Tabatabaei and R Behravesh. “New Approaches to Routing in Mobile Ad hoc Networks”. Wireless Personal Communications 2 (2017): 2167-2190.