A Comparative Study on the Development of Friction Stir Processed AA6062-T6 Metal Foam
Firasat Husain1, Manoj Kumar Yadav2, Arshad Noor Siddiquee1* and Zahid A Khan1
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Inderprastha Engineering College, Ghaziabad, Utter Pradesh, India
*Corresponding Author: Arshad Noor Siddiquee, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi, India.
September 15, 2022; Published: September 21, 2022
The porous aluminium is in high demand due to its low-density, high-energy absorption and high damping properties. A precursor method using friction stir processing (FSP) was used in the current study to develop metal foam on AA6061-T6 using MgCO3 as a blowing agent. A composite parameter, i.e., unit stirring was used to study the combined effect of FSP parameters while developing the metal foam. The FSPed sample was heat treated at 650°C with a holding time of 15 minutes. It was found that the highest porosity 18.18% was obtained at the lowest unit stirring of 0.004960 mm/rev-shoulder diameter.
Keywords: Aluminium Foams; Pore Density; Unit Stirring; Light Weight; FSP
- IG Papantoniou., et al. “Manufacturing process of AA5083/nano-γAl2O3 localized composite metal foam fabricated by friction stir processing route (FSP) and microstructural characterization”. Journal of Materials Science 5 (2018): 3817-3835.
- SU Nisa., et al. “Formation and characterization of 6063 aluminum metal foam using friction stir processing route”. Materials Today: Proceedings 40 (2019): 3223-3227.
- R Shandley., et al. “Foaming of friction stir processed Al/MgCO3 precursor via flame heating”.Materials Research Express 7.2 (2020).
- R Dyga and S Witczak. “Investigation of effective thermal conductivity aluminum foams”. 42 (2012): 1088-1099.
- H Yang., et al. “Effective thermal conductivity of high porosity open-cell metal foams”. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 147 (2020): 118974.
- J Banhart. “Manufacture, characterisation and application of cellular metals and metal foams”. Progress in Materials Science 6 (2001): 559-632.
- S Supriadi., et al. “Fabrication of a Lotus-type Porous Material to be Applied in Heat Pipe Wick”. Evergreen4 (2021): 855-860.
- TK Tatt., et al. “Review on Manufacturing of Metal Foams”. ASM Science Journal 16 (2021): 1-8.
- V Pamidi and M Mukherjee. “Melt injection - A novel method to produce metal foams”. Materialia 4 (2018): 500-509.
- VM Sharma., et al. “Effect of tool traverse speed on fabrication of open-cell copper foam using friction processing”. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 7-8 (2021): 2137-2147.
- N Ali., et al. “A novel hybrid approach to develop bioresorbable material”. Journal of Orthopaedics 34 (2022): 61-66.
- VK Jain., et al. “Effect of tool rotational speed on microstructure and mechanical properties of friction stir processed AA5083/Fe-Al in-situ composite”. Materials Today: Proceedings (2021).
- RS Mishra., et al. “Friction stir processing: A novel technique for fabrication of surface composite”. Materials Science and Engineering A1-2 (2003): 307-310.
- MZ Rahman., et al. “Mechanical and microstructural characterization of Ti-SiC reinforced AA5083 surface composites fabricated via friction stir process”. Materials Research Express 12 (2021).
- S Rathore., et al. “Effect of Process Parameters on Mechanical Properties of Aluminum Composite Foam Developed by Friction Stir Processing”. The Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture 12 (2021): 1892-1903.
- Y Hangai., et al. “Fabrication of functionally graded aluminum foam using aluminum alloy die castings by friction stir processing”. Materials Science and EngineeringA 534 (2012): 716-719.
- M Azizieh., et al. “Influence of Friction Stir Processing Parameters on the Microstructure of Aluminum Foams”. Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals 2 (2018): 483-491.
- AZ Syahrial., et al. “Effect of Nano Al2O3 Addition and T6 Heat Treatment on Characteristics of AA 7075/Al2O3 Composite Fabricated by Squeeze Casting Method for Ballistic Application”. Joint Journal of Novel Carbon Resource Sciences and Green Asia Strategy 9.2 (2022): 531-537.
- MM Shahin Arshadi Rastabi. “Effect of multi-pass friction stir processing and Mg addition on microstructure and tensile properties of Al-1050 alloy Shahin”. International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy and Materials 29 (2020): 97-101.
- N Gangil., et al. “Aluminium based in-situ composite fabrication through friction stir processing: A review”. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 715 (2017): 91-104.
- Y Hangai., et al. “Foaming behavior of blowing- and stabilization-agent-free aluminum foam precursor during spot friction stir welding”. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 265 (2019): 185-190.
- K Yamamura and T Nishihara. “Development of local reinforcement and local metallic foam using FSP”. Materials Science Forum 642 (2010): 1267-1272.
- Y Hangai., et al. “Effect of tool rotating rate on foaming properties of porous aluminum fabricated by using friction stir processing”. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 2 (2010): 288-292.
- IG Papantoniou., et al. “Fabrication of MWCNT-reinforced Al composite local foams using friction stir processing route”. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 1-4 (2018): 675-686.
- N Gangil., et al. “Another approach to characterize particle distribution during surface composite fabrication using friction stir processing”. Metals (Basel) 8 (2018).