Visible Light Activity of Enhanced Screen-printed Titanium Dioxide
Dike I Ijeoma1 and Chukwu Michael N2*
1Department of Physics/Electronics, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba, Nigeria
2Department of Food Technology, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba, Nigeria
*Corresponding Author: Chukwu Michael N, Department of Food Technology, Abia State Polytechnic, Aba, Nigeria.
May 26, 2022; Published: August 26, 2022
This research focused on investigating the effect of novel Alpirin as a natural light harvesting pigment for sol-gel derived titanium dioxide with silver plasmon. The absorbance, transmittance, refractive index, optical conductivity, band gap, the crystalline sizes and average dislocation density of TiO2 were investigated. It was observed that these optical properties were improved as a result of doping with Alpirin. Further significant improvement was observed on the addition of AgNPs that was deposited through one successive ionic layer adsorption and reaction (SILAR) cycle. The average crystalline size of Alpirin doped titanium dioxide was with average dislocation density of and the band gap of 2.52 eV while that of alpirin +AgNPs doped TiO2 was with average dislocation density of and the band gap of 2.00 eV as against the undoped TiO2 with average crystalline size of and average dislocation density of and band gap of 3.65 eV. The synergy between alpirin + AgNPs show that the incorporation of metal nanoparticle is beneficial for enhanced photoactivity.
Keywords: Alpirin; Photoactivity; Silver; Titanium Dioxide
- Mbonyiryivuze A., et al. “Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Biosynthesis for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells application: Review”. Physics and Materials Chemistry/Science and Education Publishing, 3 (2015): 12-17.
- Ozuomba JO and Ekpunobi A J. “A Study of The Band Gap of Sensitized Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles and Their Photovoltaic Applications”. Moldavian Journal of the Physical Sciences3-4 (2013): 165-171.
- Kralova M., et al. “Preparation and characterization of doped titanium dioxide printed layers”. Catalysis Today, Elsevier, 230 (2014): 188-196.
- Arishi JI., et al. “Influence of Ag-doping on Optical and Structural Properties of TiO2 Thin Films Deposited dye Electrohydrodynamic Spray Pyrolysis”. Journal of Materials Science Research and Reviews3 (2019): 1-10.
- Donald RA. “The Science and Engineering of Materials”. New York, NY: Wadsworth, Inc (1985).
- Ozuomba JO., et al. “The viability of a natural dye extracted from paw paw leaves as photosensitizer for sensitized solar cell”. International Science Research Journal 3 (2011): 3-5.
- Liu, J. X., et al. “Sol-gel deposited TiO film on NiTi surgical alloy for biocompatibility improvement’”. Thin Solid Films 429 (2013): 225-230.
- Mehdizadeh P., et al. “Visible Light Activity of Nitrogen-Doped TiO2 by Sol-Gel Method Using Various Nitrogen Sources”. Journal of Nanostructure2 (2020): 307-316.
- Monsefi M., et al. “Size-Controlled Synthesis of Gold Nanostars and Their Characterizations and Plasmon Resonances”. Journal of Nanostructure2 (2020): 198-205.
- Alwan DB., et al. “Improving the efficiency of dye-sensitized solar cells with doping and co-doping titanium dioxide”. Iraqi Journal of Science3C (20156): 2228-2233.
- Anees Ur R., et al. “Analyze the Absorption Properties and I-V Characterization of Dye Sensitized Solar Cell Using Ruthenium Dye”. Pakistan, American Journal of Engineering and Applied Science8 (2014): 611-621.
- Su Pei L., et al. “Boosting Photovoltaic Performance of Dye-Sensitized Solar Cells Using Silver Nanoparticle-Decorated N, S-Co-Doped-TiO2 Photoanode”. Scientific Reports 5 (2015): 1-14.
- Danladi E., et al. “Photoelectrochemical performance of dye-sensitized organic photovoltaic cells based on natural pigments and wide-bandgap nanostructured semiconductor”. Physical Science International Journal 2 (2016): 1-7.
- Govindasamy G., et al. “Investigations on the Synthesis, Optical and Electrical Properties of TiO2 Thin Films by Chemical Bath Deposition (CBD) method”. Materials Research 19 (2016): 413-419.
- Huaimin C., et al. “Hydrothermal Synthesis and Electrochemical Properties of TiO2 Nanotubes as an Anode Material for Lithium Ion Batteries”. International Journal of Electrochemistry 13 (2018): 2118-2125.
- Aliev SA., et al. “Properties of TiO2 films with gold nanoparticles”. Conference Series. Russia, International Conference of Photonics and Information Optics IOP Publishing Journal of Physics 737 (2016): 1-8.
- Yu M., et al. “Optical Properties TiO2 Thin Films”. Elsevier; Science Direct (2015): 100-107.
- Bregadiolli B A., et al. “Easy and Fast Preparation of TiO2 - based Nanostructures Using Microwave Assisted Hydrothermal Synthesis”. Materials Research4 (2017): 912-919.
- Valtierra J M., et al. “Formation of smooth and rough TiO2 thin films on fibreglass by sol-gel method”. Journal of the Mexican Chemical Society 1 (2006): 8-13.
- Chenari HM., et al. “Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles: Synthesis, X-Ray Line Analysis and Chemical Composition”. Materials Research Study 1 (2016): 1-5.
- Vetrivel V., et al. “Synthesis and characterization of Pure Titanium dioxide nanoparticles by Sol-gel method”. International Journal of ChemTech Research3 (2015): 1090-1097.
- Johnson JC. “Inkjet Printing of Titanium Dioxide Photoanodes for Dye Sensitized Solar Cells”. Grand Valley State, GVSU ScholarWork (2013).
- Foster CW., et al. “Screen-Printing Electrochemical Architectures”. Springer Briefs in Applied Science and Technology 3 (2016): 13-23.
- Khalil E J. “Natural Dye-Sensitized Solar Cell Based on Nanocrystalline TiO2”. Sains Malaysiana, 41.8 (2012): 1011-1016.
- Kasim U I., et al. “Betalain pigments as natural photosensitizers for dye-sensitized solar cells: the effect of dye pH on the photoelectric parameters”. Springer, 3 (2014): 2-6.
- Barness and Alexander. “Impact of extraction methods upon light absorbance of natural organic dyes for dye sensitized solar cells application”. Journal of Energy and Natural Resources 3 (2014): 38-45.
- Shine MH., et al. “Preparation of High Transmittance TiO2 Thin Films by Sol-Gel Technique as Antireflection Coating”. Journal of Physics: Conf. Series012018 (2018): 1-12.
- Dike I Ijeoma and Ozuomba O Okanandu. “Effect Of 0.1m Silver Nanoparticles on The Optical nd Structural Properties of Tio2 Doped with Alpirin Dye ASPJ for SSE”. 1.1 (2020): 219-234.
- Tezel F M., et al. “The Effects of pH on Structural and Optical Characterization of Iron oxide Thin Films”. Surface Review and Letters4 (2017): 1-10.
- Dorian AH Hanaor and Charles C Sorrell. “Review of the Anatase to Rutile Phase Transformation”. Springer Journal of Materials Science4 (2016): 855-874.