2D-FDTD Simulation of Nonlinear Photonic Crystal Switch with Applications in Integrated Circuits
Masoud Mohammadi1*, Mahmood Seifouri1 and Saeed Olyaee2
1Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Shahid Rajaee Teacher Training University, Tehran, Iran
2Nano-photonics and Optoelectronics Research Laboratory (NORLab), Shahid Rajaee Teacher Training University, Tehran, Iran
*Corresponding Author: Masoud Mohammadi, Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Shahid Rajaee Teacher Training University, Tehran, Iran.
June 02, 2022; Published: June 24, 2022
In this paper, the simulation of a nonlinear photonic crystal switch has been optimized in a new using the Kerr effect based on two-dimensional photonic crystal (2D-PC) structures. In this proposed structure, using a combination of waveguides and rings, we were able to manage the switching point of the structure using nonlinear effects in the rings. The proposed all-optic switch is composed of square lattice of silicon rods suspended in air. In this structure, the lattice constant a = 548 nm, and the filling factor r/a = 0.2. The value of input power at which the structure is switched ON is completely independent of the number of dielectric rods coupled to the L-shaped waveguide. The value of output power at the switching point decreases as completely descending function due to the increase in the number of coupling rods in the structure. In this proposed structure, the plane wave expansion (PWE) and fnite-diference time-domain (FDTD) methods are used respectively a solving for the band structure (dispersion relation) of specific photonic crystal geometries and to investigate the optical behavior of the structure.
Keywords: Nonlinear; Kerr Effect; All Optical Switch; Photonic
- Saleh AA and Simmons JM. “All-optical networking—evolution, benefits, challenges, and future vision”. Proceedings of the IEEE5 (2012): 1105-1117.
- Ji Y., et al. “All-optical signal processing technologies in flexible optical networks”. Photonic Network Communications1 (2019): 14-36.
- Mohammadi M., et al. “An Overview of All-Optical Memories Based on Periodic Structures Used in Integrated Optical Circuits”. Silicon (2022): 1-20.
- Kilper D., et al. “Optical networks come of age”. Optics and Photonics News9 (2014): 50-57.
- Mohammadi M., et al. “Passive integrated optical gyroscope based on photonic crystal ring resonator for angular velocity sensing”. Silicon 6 (2019): 2531-2538.
- Amiri IS., et al. “High-speed light sources in high-speed optical passive local area communication networks”. Journal of Optical Communications (2019).
- Vasko CA., et al. “Optical High-Speed Data Network in Space-An Update on HydRON's System Concept”. In 2022 IEEE International Conference on Space Optical Systems and Applications (ICSOS) (2022): 7-13.
- Huo S., et al. “High capacity passive optical network monitoring scheme using self-seeding Fabry–Pérot laser diode with direct modulation”. Optical Engineering6 (2018): 066116.
- Chen HY., et al. “High-capacity and high-loss-budget OFDM long-reach PON without an optical amplifier”. Journal of Optical Communications and Networking1 (2015): A59-A65.
- Bindhaiq S., et al. “Recent development on time and wavelength-division multiplexed passive optical network (TWDM-PON) for next-generation passive optical network stage 2 (NG-PON2)”. Optical Switching and Networking 15 (2015): 53-66.
- Khan I., et al. “Automatic management of N× N photonic switch powered by machine learning in software-defined optical transport”. IEEE Open Journal of the Communications Society 2 (2021): 1358-1365.
- Kim Y., et al. “Heterogeneously-Integrated Optical Phase Shifters for Next-Generation Modulators and Switches on a Silicon Photonics Platform: A Review”. Micromachines6 (2021): 625.
- Lee BG and Dupuis N. “Silicon photonic switch fabrics: technology and architecture”. Journal of Lightwave Technology 1 (2018): 6-20.
- Kumar S and Sen M. “Integrable all-optical switch for photonic integrated circuits”. JOSA B2 (2021): 611-620.
- Chu T., et al. “Fast, high-radix silicon photonic switches”. In 2018 Optical Fiber Communications Conference and Exposition (OFC) (2018): 1-3.
- MANSOURI-BIRJANDI MA. “Five-port power splitter based on pillar photonic crystal”. Iranian Journal of Science and Technology Transactions of Electrical Engineering 1 (2015): 93-100.
- Akahane Y., et al. “High-Q photonic nanocavity in a two-dimensional photonic crystal”. Nature 6961 (2003): 944-947.
- Mohammadi M and Seifouri M. “Numerical simulation of all optical demultiplexer based on pillar photonic crystal ring resonators”. International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields 2 (2019): e2527.
- Butt MA., et al. “Recent advances in photonic crystal optical devices: A review”. Optics and Laser Technology 142 (2021): 107265.
- Mohammadi M and Seifouri M. “Numerical simulation of all optical demultiplexer based on pillar photonic crystal ring resonators”. International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields2 (2019): e2527.
- Ota Y., et al. “Topological photonic crystal nanocavity laser”. Communications Physics1 (2018): 1-8.
- Mohammadi M., et al. “Exploring refractive index ultracompact nano sensor using photonic crystal resonant cavities”. Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience7 (2020): 2926-2931.
- Prabha KR and Robinson S. “Ultra compact, high contrast ratio based all optical OR gate using two dimensional photonic crystals”. Silicon10 (2021): 3521-3529.
- Mohammadi M., et al. “The design and 3D simulation of a new high-speed half adder based on graphene resonators”. Optics and Laser Technology 142 (2021): 107280.
- Tan H., et al. “Simulation on the photonic bandgap of 1-D plasma photonic crystals”. IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science 46 (3 539-544.
- Mohammadi M and Seifouri M. “A new proposal for a high-performance 4-channel demultiplexer based on 2D photonic crystal using three cascaded ring resonators for applications in advanced optical systems”. Optical and Quantum Electronics11 (2019): 1-15.
- Berman OL., et al. “On transmittance and localization of the electromagnetic wave in two-dimensional graphene-based photonic crystals”. Physics Letters A31 (2018): 2075-2080.
- Antos R., et al. “Plane wave expansion method used to engineer photonic crystal sensors with high efficiency”. Optics Express3 (2014): 2562-2577.
- Salmanpour A., et al. “All-optical photonic crystal NOT and OR logic gates using nonlinear Kerr effect and ring resonators”. Optical and Quantum Electronics 4712 (2015): 3689-3703.
- Askarian A., et al. “An all-optical half subtractor based on Kerr effect and photonic crystals”. Optik 207 (2020): 164424.
- Mohammadi M., et al. “Recent advances on all-optical photonic crystal analog-to-digital converter (ADC)”. Optical and Quantum Electronics3 (2022): 1-22.