Application of MATLAB and 3D SLICER in Medical Imaging - Preliminary Discussions Application of Medical Advance Mathematics
International Education School, China Medical University, P. R. China
*Corresponding Author: Jian Gao, International Education School, China Medical University, P. R. China.
November 29, 2021; Published: January 24, 2022
Medical advance mathematics is a compulsory course for all medical students when entered medical high education system. This paper represented studying experiences of this course, meanwhile, its applications MATLAB and 3D Slicer into medical imaging as well as preliminary discussions about functional dependences of correlations. This paper also demonstrates the discussion of the combinational features in open source software 3D Slicer and well-known scientific software MATLAB from engineer and radiologist point of view. Development of usage in 3D Slicer in medical research, as well as the MATLAB, demanding in different fields. Not only the medical applications, such as autism, multiple sclerosis, systemic lupus erythematosus, prostate cancer, schizophrenia, orthopedic biomechanics, COPD, cardiovascular disease and neurosurgery, but also 3D printing, artificial intelligence. This discussion represents the experience and review comments when using these two pieces of software simultaneously, from engineer and radiologist point of view. Finally, it concludes the future studies and the possibilities of transformations in other applications and version of software.
Keywords: Algorithms; Bidirectional Interface; Data Structure; Multi Organ; Multi - Modality Imaging
- Zhang X Q., et al. “Medical advanced mathematics (in Chinese)”. Beijing, People’s Medical Publishing House (2018).
- MathWorks official website.
- Official website of 3D slicer.
- J Mikulka. “MATLAB Extension for 3DSlicer: A Robust MR Image Processing Tool”. Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (2014): 1857-1860.
- Zeng WY., et al. “Internationalization method of 3D slicer for medical image processing platform (in Chinese)” Computer Systems and Applications 7 (2013): 7-11.
- Chen XR., et al. “Comparative study on the clinical effect of 3D slicer software assisted neuroendoscopic evacuation of intracranial hematoma and craniotomy in the treatment of long axis hypertensive basal ganglia hemorrhage (in Chinese)”. Practical Journal of Cardiac Cerebral Pneumal and Vascular Disease10 (2017): 83-87.
- Shan LF., et al. “Exploration of mathematics practice teaching reform in medical colleges and Universities (in Chinese)”. Shanxi Medical Journal 12 (2015): 1446-1447.
- Gan QX and Lu QB. “Application progress of fuzzy mathematics in the field of traditional Chinese Medicine (in Chinese)”. Jiangsu Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine1 (2007): 61-63.
- Gao L and Wang W. “Application of open source software in Medical Advanced Mathematics Teaching (in Chinese)”. Medical Information12 (2016): 6-7.
- Han Zh G., et al. “Comparison of small window craniotomy with slicer 3D in the treatment of hypertensive intracerebral hemorrhage (in Chinese)”. Chinese Journal of Clinical Neurosurgery9 (2018): 604-605,608.
- Hou L Y. “Application of theory practice integration teaching mode in mathematics teaching of application-oriented Medical Colleges (in Chinese)”. Health Vocational Education17 (2017): 51-53.
- Kang Y H., et al. “On the teaching of exercises in Medical Advanced Mathematics (in Chinese)”. Journal of Mathematical Medicine11 (2017): 1737-1738.
- Li C G., et al. “Mathematical heart trunk phantom and its application in medical imaging research (in Chinese)”. Chinese Journal of Biomedical Engineering3 (2012): 248-250.
- Li L., et al. “Construction of rat cerebellar micro structure database based on 3D slicer application (in Chinese)”. Journal of Clinical Rehabilitative Tissue Engineering Research22 (2007): 4296-4299.
- Li Y F., et al. “Application of mathematical modeling in medicine (in Chinese)”. China Journal of Modern Medicine17 (2010): 2718-2720.
- Liu T., et al. “Discussion and practice of innovative quality training in Medical Advanced Mathematics Teaching (in Chinese)”. Researches in Medical Education8 (2009): 919-920.
- Liu X. “Application and research progress of radiation dose mathematical model in medical imaging (in Chinese)”. Chongqing Medicine14 (2013): 1650-1652.
- Liu Y X and Wang Y. “Design and implementation of project learning in medical mathematics teaching (in Chinese)”. Health Vocational Education5 (2012): 43-44.
- Ma Y Q. “Construction and analysis of mathematical modeling in medical cases, value engineering (in Chinese)”. Value Engineering35 (2012): 298-299.
- Ma X D and Zhang P. “Application of mathematics in modern medicine (in Chinese)”. Journal of Qiqihar University of Medicine1 (2014): 115-116.
- Mao Y Y and Cui H X. “Application of mathematical modeling in biomedical field (in Chinese)”. Science and Technology of West China 1 (2015): 99-99,101.
- Tian Y Q., et al. “Research progress and clinical application of virtual heart simulation (in Chinese)”. Beijing Biomedical Engineering5 (2018): 545-550.
- Wang L Ch. “Reform of Medical Advanced Mathematics Course (in Chinese)”. Journal of The Fourth Military Medical University 26 (z1) (2005): 140-140.
- Wu L., et al. “Three-dimensional anatomy of temporal bone based on 3D slicer technique (in Chinese)”. China Foreign Medical Treatment21 (2009): 8-10.
- Wu X B., et al. “Effect of 3D slicer combined with sina software in the treatment of hypertensive intracerebral hemorrhage (in Chinese)”. Chinese Journal of Cerebrovascular Diseases3 (2018): 134-139.
- Xia X W. “Teaching of Medical Advanced Mathematics (in Chinese)”. Science and Technology Vision 15 (2017): 65,54.
- Xiong F., et al. “Medical higher mathematics> into medical vocational education (in Chinese)”. New Education Era 25 (2017): 249,246.
- Xu G T., et al. “Clinical study of 3D slicer assisted minimally invasive soft channel surgery in the treatment of elderly hypertensive intracerebral hemorrhage (in Chinese)”. Journal of Hebei Medical University6 (2018): 658-661, 652.
- Yang Z Q. “Progress in the application of biological vision in orthopedics (in Chinese)”. Chongqing Medicine15 (2018): 2068-2070.
- Yu Q L., et al. “Application of simulation in medical mathematical modeling (in Chinese)”. Communications Technology 4 (2013): 136-138.
- Zhang D F., et al. “Preoperative visualization of trigeminal neuralgia by slicer 3D reconstruction (in Chinese)”. China Medical Devices12 (2017): 20-24.
- Zhang H L., et al. “Application of CT image quality evaluation system in lung disease screening (in Chinese)”. China Medical Equipment10 (2018): 18-20.
- Zhang P W. “Mathematical modeling has become the trend of world education (in Chinese)”. Journal of Mathematics Education6 (2017): 6-7.
- Zhang W and Jia X H. “Application of mathematics in traditional Chinese Medicine (in Chinese)”. Information on Traditional Chinese Medicine6 (2001): 1-3.
- Zhou M. “Application of Excel in Medical Advanced Mathematics Teaching (in Chinese)”. Journal of North Sichuan Medical College2 (2009): 194-197.
- Zhou M. “Teaching thinking of some contradictory concepts in Medical Advanced Mathematics (in Chinese)”. Journal of North Sichuan Medical College4 (2009): 404-406.