Evaluating the Role of Fertilizer and Seed Soaking on Direct Seeded Aus Rice Varieties
Sushan Chowhan* and Kamrun Nahar
Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture (BINA), Bangladesh
*Corresponding Author: Sushan Chowhan, Adaptive Research and Extension Division, Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture (BINA), Bangladesh.
December 14, 2021; Published: January 12, 2022
Using conservation agriculture strategies is time demanding as intensive crop cultivation has already been started to feed the ever-growing population. Rice requires extensive resources for production. To preserve agroecosystem and sustain rice production it is imperative to consider soil and environmental health. Direct seeded rice (DSR) is a promising technology for rice cultivation which needs less input and resources. Aus season of Bangladesh is highly favorable for DSR cultivation. Being a new technology, farmers’ lack enough information and knowledge on production technology of direct seeded aus rice. Taking into account, the present investigation was implemented to assess the response of some modern aus varieties, fertilizer doses and seed soaking methods on the yield attributes under DSR. The experiment was laid in factorial RCBD. Three factors considered in the experiment were- variety, fertilizer dose and seed soaking. Rice varieties chosen were Binadhan-19 (V1), Binadhan-21 (V2), BRRI dhan-82 (V3) and BRRI dhan-85 (V4). Fertilizer doses (% of recommended) were 80% NPKSZn (T1), 100% NPKSZn (T2) and 120% NPKSZn (T3). Seed soaking methods were dry seeds directly sown without any soaking (S0) and seeds sown after hydro soaking for 24 hrs (S24). Data on yield and morpho physical attributes were collected randomly from five hills at final harvest. Outcomes revealed, longest panicle in V3 × T1 × S24 (27.14 cm), treatment V4 × T1 × S0 had most filled grains (236.96) and V4 × T2 × S0 had least amount of filled grains (101.24) per panicle. Highest grain sterility was observed with V2 × T3 × S0 (48.17%) and the lowest with treatment V4 × T1 × S0 (27.40%). Lightest thousand grain weight (TGW) was found in V2 × T2 × S24 (19.59g); whereas, it was 17.45% more in treatment V1 × T2 × S24 (23.73g). Grain yield was maximum with treatment combination V4 × T1 × S0 (4.78 t/ha) followed by a 7.17% reduction in V2 × T3 × S0 (4.46 t/ha) and 64% decrease with V4 × T3 × S24 (1.72 t/ha). Late harvesting was seen in V4 × T3 × S24 (112.67 days); while V1 × T2 × S0 was the earliest (95.00 days). Above findings imply that, BRRI dhan85 and Binadhan-21 might be better with yields in dry-DSR without soaking; but balanced use of fertilizers should be ensured in order to avoid higher grain sterility and yield reduction.
Keywords: Direct Seeded Rice; Aus; Binadhan; Seed Soaking; Hydro Soaking; Fertilizer Management
- Anum W., et al. “Irrigation water status in pakistan, challenges and management strategies: a mini review”. Journal of Quality Assurance in Agricultural Sciences1 (2021): 14-21.
- Chowhan S. “Impact of Agro Technology on Socio-economic Condition of the Farming Groups at Jagannathpur”. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology1 (2021): 97-109.
- Nagarjuna P., et al. “Effect of Crop Establishment Methods and Nitrogen Management on Growth and Yield of Rice”. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology2 (2021): 185-189.
- Bista B. “Direct Seeded Rice: A New Technology for Enhanced Resource-Use Efficiency”. International Journal of Applied Sciences and Biotechnology3 (2018): 181-198.
- Pandey S., et al. “Direct seeding: research issues and opportunities”. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Direct Seeding in Asian Rice Systems: Strategic Research Issues and Opportunities, 25-28 January 2000, Bangkok, Thailand. Los Baños (Philippines): International Rice Research Institute (2002): 383.
- Malla Razan. “East African Scholars Journal of Agriculture and Life Sciences 4.3 (2021): 75-81.
- Kumar SG., et al. “Effect of non-conventional system of cultivation with varied N levels on growth, yield and water management of rice (Oryza sativa)”. Madras Agricultural Journal 95.7-12 (2008): 343-352.
- Bhattacharyya R., et al. “Effect of tillage and irrigation on yield and soil properties under rice (Oryza sativa) - wheat (Triticum aestivum) system on a sandy clay loam soil of Uttaranchal”. Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 7 (2006): 405-409.
- Wassmann R., et al. “Mitigating greenhouse gas emissions from rice-wheat cropping systems in Asia”. Environment, Development and Sustainability 6 (2004): 65-90.
- Balasubramanian V and Hill JE. “Direct wet seeding of rice in Asia. Emergence issues and strategic research needs for the 21st century”. Direct seeding: research strategies and opportunities. Proceedings (2002): 15-39.
- Bhushan L., et al. “Saving of water and labor in a rice-wheat system with no-tillage and direct seeding technologies”. Agronomy Journal5 (2007): 1288-1296.
- Khade VN., et al. “Effect of seeding rates and level of N on yield of direct-seeded (Rahu) summer rice in Konkan”. Journal of Maharashtra agricultural University 18 (1993): 32-35.
- Sattar MA and SI Bhuiyan. “Performance of Direct-Seeded and Transplanted Rice under Different Water Management Practices”. Bangladesh Rice Journal1-2 (1994): 1-5.
- Singh S., et al. “Performance of Direct-Seeded Rice as Influenced by Dual Cropping with Nitrogen Levels and Weed Management Practices in Prayagraj Region of Eastern Uttar Pradesh”. National Academy Science Letters 43 (2020): 399-402.
- Mohanta S., et al. “Productivity and Profitability of Kharif Rice Are Influenced by Crop Establishment Methods and Nitrogen Management in the Lateritic Belt of the Subtropical Region”. Agronomy 11 (2021): 1280.
- Cornell University. SRI-RICE, SRI International Network and Resources Center (2020).
- Midya A., et al. “Crop Establishment Methods and Integrated Nutrient Management Improve: Part II. Nutrient Uptake and Use Efficiency and Soil Health in Rice (Oryza sativa) Field in the Lower Indo-Gangetic Plain, India”. Agronomy 11 (2021)1894.
- Joshi Ekta., et al. “Management of direct seeded rice for enhanced resource - use efficiency”. Plant Knowledge Journal 2.3 (2013): 119-134.
- FAOSTAT 2021. Crops and livestock products (2021).
- BBS (Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics). Yearbook of Agricultural Statistics-2020. 32nd Series, Planning Division, Ministry of Planning, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2020): 1-51.
- “Suitability Map of Aus [Pabna: Ishwardi] (2021).
- Chowhan S., et al. “Yield and morpho physical characters of some modern aus rice varieties at Khagrachari”. Plant Science Today1 (2021b): 155-160.
- Singh SP., et al. “Direct Seeded Rice: Prospects, Constraints, Opportunities and Strategies for Aerobic Rice (Oryza sativa L) in Chhattisgarh - A Review”. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci 8.09 (2019): 889-912.
- Gao XP., et al. “From flooded to aerobic conditions in rice cultivation: consequences for zinc uptake”. Plant Soil 280 (2006): 41-47.
- Chowhan S and Islam M. “Zinc Effects Yield of Mustard (Brassica campestris) Under Zero Tillage”. Asian Journal of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 8.1 (2021): 27-35.
- Zinc Effects Yield of Mustard (Brassica campestris L.) Under Zero Tillage”. Bangladesh agricultural research institute, Ishurdi, Pabna-6620, Bangladesh (2021).
- “Fertilization Recommendation Guide”. Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC), Farmgate, Dhaka 1215 (2012): 247-58.
- Ahmmed S., et al. “Fertilizer recommendation guide-2018”. Dhaka Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (2018): 12-21.
- Ahmed S. “Crop and Weed Management Strategies for Dry Direct Seeded Rice”. Eliva Press (2020): 143.
- Mahbub MM and MKA Bhuiyan. “Performance of Bensulfuran methyl 12% + Bispyribac sodium 18% WP against annual weeds in transplanted rice (Oryza sativa) cultivation in Bangladesh”. Scientia Agriculturae3 (2018): 85-92.
- DAE (Department of Agricultural Extension). List of Registered Agricultural Pesticides, Bio Pesticides and Public Health Pesticides in Bangladesh (2021).
- Chowhan S., et al. “Comparative on farm performance of five modern rice varieties with two local cultivars”. Journal of Bioscience and Agriculture Research01 (2017): 1074-1086.
- Ahmed Sharif., et al. “Optimum sowing date and cultivar duration of dry-seeded boro on the High Ganges River Floodplain of Bangladesh”. Field Crops Research 190 (2016): 91-102.
- Ahmed Sharif and Bhagirath Singh Chauhan. "Performance of Different Herbicides in Dry-Seeded Rice in Bangladesh". The Scientific World Journal 2014 (2014): 14.
- “Data analysis software for researchers (Version 10.0)”. Analytical Software, 2105 Miller Landing Rd, Tallahassee Florida 32312, USA (2021).
- Russell DF MSTAT-C computer package programme. Crop and Soil Sci Dept., Michigan State University., US (1986).
- Gomez KA and Gomez AA. “Statistical producers for agricultural research. A Wiley Int. Sci. Pub. John Wiley and Sons, New York, Brisbane, Singapore (1984): 139-240.
- , et al. “Changes in developmental duration of direct-seeded rice in a well-drained paddy field in response to late planting”. Plant Production Science 20.3 (2017)279-287.
- Kaur Simerjeet and Surjit Singh. “Influence of plant densities on growth and yield of direct seeded rice (Oryza sativa )”. Agricultural Research Journal 53.4 (2016): 594-596.
- Ghosh SR., et al. “Adjusting Planting Time of Binadhan-17 in Boro Season”. Journal of Phytology 13 (2021): 21-27.
- BRRI (Bangladesh Rice Research Institute). BRRI dhan82 leaflet (In Bengali) (2017A).
- BRRI (Bangladesh Rice Research Institute). BRRI dhan85 leaflet (In Bengali) (2017B).
- BINA (Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture). (2020). “Annual Report of Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture 2019-20”. Mymensingh-2202, Bangladesh (2020): 10-260.
- Chowhan S., et al. “Evaluation of NERICA rice mutant in Jhum cultivation”. International Journal of Agronomy and Agricultural Research2 (2018): 24-31.
- Jnanesha AC and Ashish Kumar. “Effect of Crop Establishment Methods on Growth Yield and Water Productivity of Rice”. International Journal on Agricultural Sciences1 (2017): 40-45.
- Xu Le., et al. “Comparing the Grain Yields of Direct-Seeded and Transplanted Rice: A Meta-Analysis" Agronomy11 (2019): 767.
- Mahajan G., et al. “Seed Priming Effects on Germination, Growth and Yield of Dry Direct-Seeded Rice”. Journal of Crop Improvement4 (2011): 409-417.
- BRKB (Bangladesh Rice Knowledge Bank). Problems and solution of rice production (2019): 23.
- Ramesh S and Chandrasekaran B. “Evaluation of crop establishment methods and nitrogen management strategies on realizing yield potential of rice hybrid ADTRH 1”. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences2 (2007): 239-251.
- Zhu D., et al. “Effects of nitrogen level on yield and quality of japonica soft super rice”. Journal of Integrative Agriculture5 (2017): 1018-1027.
- Yang J and Zhang J. “Crop management techniques to enhance harvest index in rice”. Journal of Experimental Botany12 (2010): 3177-3189.
- Chauhan BS and Johnson DE. “Row spacing and weed control timing affect yield of aerobic rice”. Field Crops Research2 (2011): 226-231.
- Abbas RN., et al. “Weed-Free Durations and Fertilization Regimes Boost Nutrient Uptake and Paddy Yield of Direct-Seeded Fine Rice (Oryza sativa)”. Agronomy 11.12 (2021): 2448.
- Ghosh U., et al. “Yield Response of Direct Seeded Aus Rice Varieties under Rainfed Condition”. American Journal of Plant Sciences 9 (2018): 416-434.