Praneetha Gupta Komuravelli*
Agronomist at Simply Fresh Private Limited, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
*Corresponding Author: Praneetha Gupta Komuravelli, Agronomist at Simply Fresh Private Limited, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Received: March 01, 2021; Published: March 29, 2021
What is terrace gardening?
Benefits of terrace gardening?
- Growing of fruits, flowers and vegetables in the terraces or balconies is known as terrace gardening.
Veggies that you can fit in your garden:
- Fresh supply of pampered veggies and fruits directly from your soil to soup.
- It helps in keeping your surroundings cool and refreshed.
- Lessens the co2 levels in your area.
- Improves the quality of air you breathe.
- It keeps you detached from all the stresses and havocs in the world.
- Gardening is always a great exercise, the more the efforts you put in, the more fit you stay.
Tips for a successful terrace gardening:
- All leafy greens-spinach, Amaranthus, Coriander, fenugreek, kale, basil, mint etc
- Vine crops-tomatoes, cucumbers, fruity peppers, gourds etc.
- Others such as carrot, chives, spring onion, radish etc
- Proper drainage.
- Make use of old containers, boxes, bottles etc for cost effective garden.
- Avoid excess watering in the rainy season, water from the rains are sufficient.
- Do not keep the plants too close, they will compete for nutrients, sunlight and water.
- Use homemade compost for better results.
- Start with the plants which are low maintenance, easy to grow.
- Trim the flowering plants regularly with a rust-free or stainless-steel scissors to ensure bushy growth with numerous flowers.
- Pinching the drooped flower stalk, should be done regularly to encourage more flowering and healthier plant growth.
- A healthy garden must have a combination of different types of plants so that they attract essential pollinators.
- Strengthen your kinship with your plants so that you can spend a quality time in understanding the lifecycle of the plants.
- It is sensible to grow aromatic plants if one is planning to have a vegetable garden. Aromatic plants (E.g. Curry leaves, mint, marigolds, Lemongrass, etc) have a strong aroma that helps in repelling the pests.
- Practice crop rotation, which means changing the crop of a single pot for every new time so that pest problem will be less.
- Finally, patience is the utmost important factor for any successful garden.