A Systematic Review on the Analytical Techniques for the Quantification of Piracetam
Arijit Dutta and Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna*
GITAM Institute of Pharmacy, GITAM (Deemed to be University), Visakhapatnam, India
*Corresponding Author: Mukthinuthalapati Mathrusri Annapurna, GITAM Institute of Pharmacy, GITAM (Deemed to be University), Visakhapatnam, India.
April 15, 2021; Published: June 15, 2021
Piracetam is a cyclic analogue of γ-amino butyric acid which is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. Piracetam is used as a nootropic agent. Much of research work has been done on Piracetam regarding the synthesis, pharmacology, mechanism of actions etc. but in the present article the authors have focused only on the analytical techniques so far published for the estimation of Piracetam in biological fluids as well as pharmaceutical formulations in the literature and these analytical methods were thoroughly reviewed in a systematic manner by considering the analytical instruments used by different authors and some of the validation parameters.
Keywords: Piracetam; Alzheimer's Disease; Myoclonus
- British Pharmacopoeia 2003. “The Stationary Office”. 2(2003): 1497-1498.
- Parfitt K. “Martindale The complete drug reference”. 32nd Edition; Pharmaceutical Press: London (1999): 1619.
- Noorbala AA., et al. “Piracetam in the treatment of schizophrenia: implication for the glutamate hypothesis of schizophrenia”. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 24 (1999): 369-374.
- France Pharmacopoeia, IX(1991).
- Suelen AN., et al. “Analgesic activity of Piracetam: Effect on cytokine production and oxidative stress”. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior 105 (2013): 183-192.
- Bhowmick Anindita A., et al. “Analytical Method Development and Validation for Piracetam as Bulk and in Pharmaceutical Formulation”. International Journal of PharmTech Research 1 (2010): 201-204.
- Karamancheva I and Staneva T. “Determination of possible impurities in Piracetam using FTIR spectroscopy”. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 6 (2000): 1161-1169.
- Lamparczyk H., et al. “Determination of Piracetam in human plasma by capillary electrophoresis”. Journal of Chromatography B: Biomedical Sciences and Applications. 692.2 (1997): 483-487.
- Ovalles JF., et al. “Determination of Piracetam and its impurities by TLC”. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 4 (2000): 757-761.
- Lengyel J., et al. “New validated gas-chromatographic method for Piracetam determination in plasma”. Pharmaceutical Sciences 3 (1997): 455-459.
- Alebic-Kolbah T and Hirsl-Starcevic S. “Determination of Piracetam in serum by gas chromatography”. Journal of Chromatography 526 (1990): 556-561.
- Kapendra Sahu., et al. “Establishment of inherent stability on Piracetam by UPLC and development of a validated stability-indicating method”. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 10 (2017): S576-S582.
- Ardhani Dwi Lestari., et al. “HPLC determination of Piracetam in tablets; Validation of the method”. Journal of Liquid Chromatography and Related Technologies9 (2005): 1407-1416.
- Arayne MS., et al. “Simultaneous determination of Piracetam and its four impurities by RP-HPLC with UV detection”. Journal of Chromatographic Science7 (2010): 589-594.
- Louchahi K., et al. “Determination of Piracetam in human plasma and urine by liquid chromatography”. Journal of Chromatography B Biomed 2 (1995): 385-389.
- Augustin Curticapean and Silvia Imre . “New validated method for Piracetam HPLC determination in human plasma”. Journal of Biochemical and Biophysical Methods 3 (2007): 273-281.
- Doheny MH., et al. “A high-performance liquid-chromatographic microanalytical procedure for the rapid estimation of Piracetam in plasma or cerebrospinal fluid”. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology 5 (1996): 514-516.
- RM Nalbandian., et al. “Liquid-chromatographic quantification of Piracetam”. Clinical Chemistry4 (1983): 664-666.
- Xianqin Wang., et al. “Determination of Piracetam in rat plasma by LC-MS/MS and its application to Pharmacokinetics”. Biomedical Chromatography10 (2010): 1108-1112.