Ali Raza Brohi*, Naseem Mengal and Abdul Lateef Leghari
Paediatric Surgery Department, Peoples University of Medical and Health Sciences Nawabshah Sind, Pakistan
*Corresponding Author: Ali Raza Brohi, Paediatric Surgery Department, Peoples University of Medical and Health Sciences Nawabshah Sind, Pakistan.
Received: April 04, 2022; Published: April 28, 2022
Introduction: Empyema is an entity frequently encountered in pediatric age group. It is the collection of suppurative fluid in the pleural cavity secondary to bacterial pneumonia and may include other causes such as malignancies and immunological disorders. Different guidelines are available for management of empyema in adults however there is no consensus on management of empyema in children. Generally accepted treatment modalities in the order of minimal to most invasive include Antibiotics, Intercostal Chest Drainage, Fibrinolytic Therapy, Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery (VATS), and open thoracotomy, with open thoracotomy usually being restricted to treating the most advanced stages i.e., stage 3.
Material and Methods: This is a retrospective descriptive study conducted at Maternal & Children Hospital; a tertiary care hospital in Nawabshah, Pakistan built with the intention to provide better maternal and child care to the surrounding urban and rural areas. The duration of this study was 6 years (January 2015 to January 2021) during which a total of 65 patients diagnosed with stage II and some stage III empyema were enrolled via non-probability consecutive sampling
Results: A total of 65 patients were enrolled during the 6-year period of the study, of which 38 were males and 27 were females, with ages ranging from 2 to 11 years and a median of 6 years. 40 patients (61.5%) underwent primary VATS, whereas the remaining 25 patients (38.5%) underwent secondary VATS (VATS after chest tube for drainage initially). The duration of stay ranged from 3 to 10 days, with a median of 6 and 8 days for Primary and Secondary VATS.
Conclusion: Primary VATS is a better modality and, in our experience, should be preferred over simple chest tube drainage where possible. As presented above, the level of complexity is generally lower if opted for earlier. The procedure is simple to learn and will also act in smoothening the learning curve for other thoracoscopic surgeries.
Keywords: Empyma Thoracis; Children; Primary VATS
Citation: Ali Raza Brohi.,et al. “Role of Primary Vats for the Treatment of Empyema Thoracis in Children”. Acta Scientific Paediatrics 5.5 (2022): 37-41.
Copyright: © 2022 Ali Raza Brohi.,et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.