Terrible Triad of the Elbow with Simultaneous Fractures of the Ipsilateral Distal Radius
Aamer Alharbi1, Elham A Alghamdi2* and Ayman Ali1
11Orthopaedic Surgery, King Saud Medical City, Riyadh, SAU
2Orthopedic, King Saud Medical City, Riyadh, SAU
*Corresponding Author: Elham A Alghamdi, Orthopedic, King Saud Medical City, Riyadh, SAU.
July 10, 2023; Published: August 24, 2023
This paper presents two cases of young patients who sustained an ipsilateral terrible triad and fracture of the distal radius after falling from a significant height onto an outstretched hand. The mechanisms and management of these complex injuries are discussed, including surgical techniques and postoperative rehabilitation. This study highlights the importance of prompt diagnosis and comprehensive treatment in achieving optimal outcomes for patients who suffer from these challenging injuries.
Keywords: Elbow; Terrible Triad; Dislocation; Fracture; Distal Radius; Trauma; Injury
- Ahmad R., et al. “Open dislocation of the elbow with ipsilateral fracture of the radial head and distal radius: A rare combination without vascular injury”. Emergency Medicine Journal 24 (2007): 860.
- Elgassim M., et al. “Rare triad of fractures in the upper limb. Simultaneous fractures of the distal radius, with the radial head and the ulna styloid”. Radiology Case Reports 11 (2022): 4439-4444.
- Ring D and Jupiter JB. “Fracture-dislocation of the elbow”. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 80 (1998): 566-580.
- Batra S and Andrew JG. “Ipsilateral compound distal radius fracture with missed elbow dislocation. A rare injury pattern”. European Journal of Emergency Medicine 14 (2007):363-364.
- Nanno M., et al. “Transverse divergent dislocation of the elbow with ipsilateral distal radius fracture in a child”. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma 21 (2007): 145-149.
- Elham Ali Alghamdi., et al. “Terrible Triad Fracture Dislocation Injury Review of Current Fixation Protocols and Illustration of Single Incision Technique in 8 cases “Case Series”. Acta Scientific Orthopaedics3 (2023): 148-155.
- Meena S., et al. “Elbow dislocation with ipsilateral distal radius fracture”. Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine2 (2013): 479.
- Akma Kamaludin NA., et al. “Ipsilateral proximal and distal radius fractures with unstable elbow joint: Which should we address first?” Chinese Journal of Traumatology (2018).
- El Kadi K., et al. “Simultaneous ipsilateral fractures of distal and proximal ends of the radius”. The Pan African Medical Journal 27 (2017): 98.
- Wang Y., et al. “Comminuted fractures of ipsilateral radial head and distal radius: A rare injury pattern”. Chinese Journal of Traumatology2 (2015): 106-108.
- Park Il-Jung MD., et al. “Simultaneous ipsilateral distal radius and radial head fractures: Two case reports of radius bipolar fracture”. Medicine3 (2021): e24036.