Treatment of Periprosthetic Fracture of the Proximal Humerus with Structural Allograft
Alexandre Almeida1*, Natália Pasquali2, Vinícius Lopes Fruet2, Adriano
Joaquim Matzenbacher2, Osvandré Lech3 and Ana Paula Concatto
1Orthopedic Surgeon, MBBS, Pompeia Hospital, Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
2Third Year Fellowship Resident at Pompeia Hospital, BM Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil
3Orthopedic Surgeon, MD, Institute of Orthopedics and Traumatology, RS, Brazil
4Nurse Responsible for the Tissue Bank, B. Ed., São Vicente de Paulo Hospital, RS, Brazil
*Corresponding Author: Alexandre Almeida, Orthopedic Surgeon, MBBS, Pompeia
Hospital, Caxias do Sul, RS, Brazil.
June 22, 2023; Published: July 26, 2023
The authors present a case of periprosthetic fracture of the proximal humerus in an 80-year-old female patient who underwent
revision surgery with reconstruction of the proximal humerus using a femoral structural graft from a tissue bank.
Keywords: Periprosthetic Humeral Fracture; Allograft; PFPH
- Wajnsztejn A., et al. “Periprosthetic humeral fractures after reverse shoulder arthroplasty”. Case Report. Einstein (São Paulo) 1 (2017).
- Boileau P. “Complications and revision of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. Review article”. Orthopaedics and Traumatology: Surgery and Research (2016).
- Almeida A., et al. “Prevalence of Early Minor and Major Complications After Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty According to the Pathology in Treatment and Comorbidities: A Multicenter Study”. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty 1 (2017): 1-7.
- Sanchez-Sotelo J., et al. “Allograft-prosthetic composite reconstruction for massive proximal humeral bone loss in reverse shoulder arthroplasty”. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume24 (2017): 2069-2076.
- Sanchez‐Sotelo J. “Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty”. Clinical Anatomy: The Official Journal of the American Association of Clinical Anatomists and the British Association of Clinical Anatomists2 (2009): 172-182.
- McDonough EB and Crosby LA. “Periprosthetic fractures of the humerus”. American Journal of Orthopedics 12 (2005): 586-591.
- Cuff D., et al. “Torsional stability of modular and non-modular reverse shoulder humeral components in a proximal humeral bone loss model”. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 4 (2011): 646-651.
- Boileau, et al. “Reverse shoulder-allograft prosthesis composite, with or without tendon transfer, for the treatment of severe proximal humeral bone loss”. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 29.11 (2020): e401-e415.
- Abdeen A., et al. “Allograft-prosthesis composite reconstruction of the proximal part of the humerus: functional outcome and survivorship”. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 10 (2009): 2406-2415.
- Chacon A., et al. “Revision arthroplasty with use of a reverse shoulder prosthesis-allograft composite”. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 1 (2009): 119-127.