Unconstrained Cervical Total Disc Replacement not One Design Suits Every Patient. Case Report
Juan Manuel Amaya Sánchez1*, John Choi1 and Hong Lee Terry Teo2
1Spine Ortho Clinic, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Changi General Hospital, Singapore
*Corresponding Author: AJuan Manuel Amaya Sánchez, Spine Ortho Clinic,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
April 20, 2023; Published: June 10, 2023
Degenerative disc disease is one of the main causes of cervical radiculopathy and myelopathy. It has been treated traditionally with anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) . However, this procedure was not immune from different types of complications, one of the most frequent is adjacent segment disease (ASD). As a result, new techniques such as total disc replacement (TDR) have emerged as an alternative to preserve motion and decrease the risk of ASD .
Keywords:Cervical Disc Replacement; Metallosis; Mobi C; Cervical Radiculopathy
- Findlay C., et al. “Total disc replacement versus anterior cervical discectomy and fusion: a systematic review with meta-analysis of data from a total of 3160 patients across 14 randomized controlled trials with both short- and medium- to long-term outcomes”. The Bone and Joint Journal 100-B.8 (2018): 991-1001.
- Leven D., et al. “Cervical disc replacement surgery: indications, technique, and technical pearls”. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine2 (2017): 160-169.
- Lazennec J Y. “Lumbar and cervical viscoelastic disc replacement: Concepts and current experience”. World Journal of Orthopedics8 (2020): 345-356.
- Durbhakula M M and Ghiselli G. “Cervical total disc replacement, part I: rationale, biomechanics, and implant types”. The Orthopedic Clinics of North America3 (2005): 349-354.
- Epstein NE and Agulnick MA. "Cervical disc arthroplasty (CDA)/total disc replacement (TDR) vs. anterior cervical diskectomy/fusion (ACDF): A review”. Surgical Neurology International 13 (2022): 565.
- Onken J., et al. “Revision surgery for cervical artificial disc: Surgical technique and clinical results”. Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery 152 (2017): 39-44.
- Di Martino A., et al. “Cervical spine alignment in disc arthroplasty: should we change our perspective?”. European Spine Journal : Official Publication of the European Spine Society, the European Spinal Deformity Society, and the European Section of the Cervical Spine Research Society 24 (2015): 810-825.
- Bertagnoli R., et al. “Cervical total disc replacement, part two: clinical results”. The Orthopedic clinics of North America 3 (2005): 355-362.
- Guyer R D., et al. “Early failure of metal-on-metal artificial disc prostheses associated with lymphocytic reaction: diagnosis and treatment experience in four cases”. Spine7 (2011): E492-E497.
- Goel V K., et al. “Parameters that effect spine biomechanics following cervical disc replacement”. European Spine Journal : Official Publication of the European Spine Society, the European Spinal Deformity Society, and the European Section of the Cervical Spine Research Society5 (2012): S688-S699.
- Jacobs C A M., et al. “Viscoelastic cervical total disc replacement devices: Design concepts”. The Spine Journal : Official Journal of the North American Spine Society 12 (2020): 1911-1924.
- Shin J J., et al. “Cervical disc arthroplasty: What we know in 2020 and a literature review”. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery (Hong Kong) 29 (2021): 23094990211006934.
- Patwardhan A G and Havey RM. “Biomechanics of Cervical Disc Arthroplasty-A Review of Concepts and Current Technology”. International Journal of Spine Surgerys2 (2020): S14-S28.
- Wang X., et al. “Cervical sagittal alignment after Prestige LP cervical disc replacement: radiological results and clinical impacts from a single-center experience”. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorder 22 (2021): 82.
- Niu T., et al. “Cervical artificial disc extrusion after a paragliding accident”. Surgical Neurology International 8 (2017): 138.
- Tumialán LM., et al. “Arthroplasty in the military: a preliminary experience with ProDisc-C and ProDisc-L”. Neurosurgical Focus5 (2010): E18.