Charcot Foot Arthropathy Secondary to Holocord Syringomyelia in a Skeletally
Immature Patient - A Case Report
Salar Sobhi1,2*, Sheldon Moniz2, Jordan Korol2 and Richard
1Department of Medicine, Fiona Stanley Hospital, 11 Robin Warren Dr, Murdoch, WA, Australia
2Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Perth Children’s Hospital, 15 Hospital Ave, Nedlands, WA, Australia
*Corresponding Author: Salar Sobhi, Department of Medicine, Fiona Stanley
Hospital, 11 Robin Warren Dr, Murdoch, WA, Australia.
August 29, 2022; Published: October 17, 2022
Charcot arthropathy, is progressive and destructive process of articular surfaces secondary to impaired nociception and proprioception of the involved joint, commonly seen in adults a long-standing history of diabetes mellitus. We report a case of a 4-year-old girl who presented to the Emergency Department complaining of right heel pain and antalgic gait. Physical examination was unremarkable, but an MRI of the right foot revealed a lytic and destructive process of the right calcaneus with associated fluid tracking. Given the absence of any biochemical evidence to favour infection, a full-body MRI subsequently revealed an Arnold-Chiari type I malformation with extensive holocord syringomyelia of the cervical and thoracic spine.
Keywords: Charcot Arthropathy; Holocord Syringomyelia; Diagnosis
- Choudhury P., et al. “Neuropathic arthropathy of the shoulder joint caused by syringomyelia: report of a rare case”. BMJ Case Reports3 (2019).
- Ekim A and Armağan O. “Neuropathic arthropathy caused by syringomyelia in different joints and lesion of brachial plexus at right upper extremity: a case report”. Agriculture3 (2007): 54-58.
- Sahoo SK and Salunke P. “Charcot arthropathy of the elbow joint as a presenting feature of Chiari malformation with syringomyelia”. British Journal of Neurosurgery6 (2014): 811-812.
- Wawrzyniak A., et al. “Shoulder arthropathy secondary to syringomyelia: case series of 10 patients”. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology (2021): 1-7.
- Wang X., et al. “Charcot arthropathy of the shoulder joint as a presenting feature of basilar impression with syringomyelia: A case report and literature review”. Medicine 28 (2018).
- Frykberg RG., et al. “Diabetic foot disorders: a clinical practice guideline (2006 revision)”. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery5 (2006): S1-S66.
- Soysal N., et al. “Differential diagnosis of Charcot arthropathy and osteomyelitis”. Neuroendocrinology Letters5 (2007): 556-559.
- Milne TE., et al. “Developing an evidence-based clinical pathway for the assessment, diagnosis and management of acute Charcot Neuro-Arthropathy: a systematic review”. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research1 (2013): 1-12.
- Frykberg RG and Belczyk R. “Epidemiology of the Charcot foot”. Clinics in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery1 (2008): 17-28.
- Kaynak G., et al. “An overview of the Charcot foot pathophysiology”. Diabetic Foot and Ankle 1 (2013): 21117.
- Pinzur MS. “Current concepts review: Charcot arthropathy of the foot and ankle”. Foot and Ankle International8 (2007): 952-959.
- Coughlin MJ., et al. “Surgery of the foot and ankle”. Mosby St. Louis; (1999).
- Trepman E., et al. “Current topics review: Charcot neuroarthropathy of the foot and ankle” (2005).
- Weatherford B. “Diabetic (Charcot) Foot”. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; (2017).
- Wukich DK and Sung W. “Charcot arthropathy of the foot and ankle: modern concepts and management review”. Journal of Diabetes Complications6 (2009): 409-26.
- Al-Shatoury HAH. “eMedicine Specialties> Neurology> Movement and Neurodegenerative Diseases”.
- Oldfield EH., et al. “Pathophysiology of syringomyelia associated with Chiari I malformation of the cerebellar tonsils: implications for diagnosis and treatment”. Journal of Neurosurgery1 (1994): 3-15.
- Williams B. “On the pathogenesis of syringomyelia: a review”. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine11 (1980): 798-806.
- Gardner WJ. “Hydrodynamic mechanism of syringomyelia: its relationship to myelocele”. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry3 (1965): 247.
- Nambiar M., et al. “Neuropathic arthropathy of the shoulder joint secondary to a syringomyelia”. BMJ Case Report1 (2018).
- Memarpour R., et al. “Syringomyelia with Chiari I malformation presenting as hip charcot arthropathy: a case report and literature review”. Case Reports in Neurological Medicine 2015 (2015).
- Deng X., et al. “Neuropathic arthropathy caused by syringomyelia”. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 3 (2013): 303-309.