Verrucous Carcinoma in a Diabetic Foot Ulcer: A Case Report
Paul Sullivan1, Michael Bernstein2, Mujtaba Qureshi3, Eileen L
Sullivan4 and Mitesh Patel4*
1Department of Orthopedics, Rothman Orthopedic Institute, Thomas Jefferson
University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
2Attending, Department of Podiatry, St. Clare’s Hospital, Denville, NJ, USA
3Resident, Department of Podiatry, St. Clare’s Hospital, Denville, NJ, USA
4Assistant Professor, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
*Corresponding Author: Mitesh Patel, Assistant Professor, St. Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
September 20, 2022; Published: October 07, 2022
Verrucous Carcinoma (VC) is a rare malignant lesion that is often misdiagnosed as a simple wart. It is a variant of squamous cell carcinoma most commonly found in the foot and is locally destructive with frequent invasion to deep tissue and bone. Treatment is typically wide surgical excision, including amputation when clinically indicated. This study presents a case of Verrucous Carcinoma found in the distal toe after a chronic diabetic ulceration that required amputation and repeat surgical excision.
Keywords: Verrucous Carcinoma; Diabetic Foot Ulcer; Amputation
- Khullar G., et al. “Verrucous carcinoma on the foot arising in a chronic neuropathic ulcer of leprosy”. Australasian Journal of Dermatology 60.3 (2019): 245-246.
- Oulehri A., et al. “Squamous cell carcinoma mimicking a wart”. Nasza Dermatologia Online 12.4 (2012): 471-472.
- Penera K. “Atypical Presentation of Verrucous Carcinoma: A Case Study and Review of the Literature”. Foot Ankle Specialist (2013): 318-321.
- Kao GF., et al. “Carcinoma cuniculatum (verrucous carcinoma of the skin): a clinicopathologic study of 46 cases with ultrastructural observations”. Cancer 49 (1982): 2395-2403.
- Fawaz B., et al. “Surgical treatment of verrucous carcinoma: a review”. Journal of Dermatological Treatment 33.4 (2022): 1811-1815.
- J Ho., et al. “An ulcerating verrucous plaque on the foot”. Archives of Dermatology 136.4 (2000): 547.
- Thomas EJ., et al. “Carcinoma cuniculatum: an atypical presentation in the foot”. The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery 53.3 (2014): 356-359.
- Scheinfeld N., et al. “Verrucous hyperplasia of the great toe: a case and a review of the literature”. Dermatologic Surgery 30.2 Pt 1 (2004): 215-217.
- J Garc´ıa-Gav´ın., et al. “Verrucous carcinoma of the foot affecting the bone: utility of the computed tomography scanner”. Dermatology Online Journal 16.2 (2010): 8.
- Mascard E., et al. “Malignant tumours of the foot and ankle”. EFORT Open Reviews 2.5 (2010): 261-271.
- Pretell-Mazzini J., et al. “Unplanned excision of soft-tissue sarcomas: current concepts for management and prognosis”. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery America 97.7 (2015): 597-603.
- Gertler R and Werber KD. “Management of verrucous carcinoma of the hand: a case report”. International Journal of Dermatology 48.11 (2009): 1233-1235.
- Gordon DK., et al. “Verrucous carcinoma of the foot, not your typical plantar wart: a case study”. Foot (Edinb) 24.2 (2014): 94-98.
- Vandeweyer E., et al. “Cutaneous verrucous carcinoma”. British Journal of Plastic Surgery 54.2 (2001): 168-170.
- Di Palma V., et al. “Mistaken Diabetic Ulcers: A Case of Bilateral Foot Verrucous Carcinoma”. Case Reports in Dermatological Medicine (2018): 4192657.
- Klima M., et al. “Verrucous carcinoma of skin”. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology 7.2 (1980): 88-98.