A Rare Case of Acute Simultaneous Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture - From Diagnosis to Treatment and Review of the Literature
João Brito Barroso*, João Pedro Campos, Andreia Moreira, João Quelhas, José Machado, Pedro Santos, Nuno Camelo Barbosa, Filipa and Santos Jorge
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital Pedro Hispano, Matosinhos, Porto, Portugal
*Corresponding Author: João Brito Barroso, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Hospital Pedro Hispano, Matosinhos, Porto, Portugal.
Received: April 12, 2021; Published: May 11, 2021
Acute simultaneous bilateral quadriceps tendon ruptures are rare. In the majority of the cases they are related to major trauma in patients with well-estabilished predisposing factors to tendinopathy and rupture. We describe a case of bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture sustained after minimal trauma in a patient with no history of systemic diseases. We discuss the etiology and possible risk factors of acute tendon rupture, its treatment and rehabilitation and report a literature review of bilateral quadriceps tendon ruptures.
Keywords: Quadricipital Tendon; Bilateral Rupture; Surgery
- MR Garner., et al. “Extensor mechanism injuries of the knee: demographic characteristics and comorbidities from a review of 726 patient records”. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery - American Volume19 (2015): 1592-1596.
- Steiner C and Plamer LH. “Simultaneous bilateral rupture of the quadriceps tendon”. American Journal of Surgery 5 (1949): 752-755.
- Ellanti P., et al. “Bilateral synchronous rupture of the quadriceps tendon”. Irish Journal of Medical Science 181 (2012): 423-425.
- Lotem M., et al. “Spontaneous rupture of the quadríceps tendo in patients on chronic haemodialysis”. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 5 (1974): 428-429.
- Celik EC., et al. “Simultaneous and spontaneous bilateral quadríceps tendon rupture”. American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 7 (2012): 631-634.
- Stern R and Harwin F. “Spontaneous and simultaneous rupture of both quadriceps tendons”. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 147 (1980): 188-189.
- Katz T., et al. “Bilateral simultaneous rupture of the quadríceps tendon in adult amateur tennis player”. Journal of Clinical Rheumatology1 (2006): 32-33.
- Neubauer T., et al. “Bilateral, simultaneous rupture of the quadriceps tendon: a diagnostic pitfall? Report of three cases and meta-analysis of the literature”. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy1 (2007): 43-53.
- O’Sheaa K., et al. “Outcomes following quadriceps tendon ruptures”. Injury 3 (2002): 257-260.
- Shah MK. “Outcomes in bilateral and simultaneous quadriceps tendon rupture”. Orthopedics8 (2003): 797-798.
- Brisebois S., et al. “Proton pump inhibitors: Review of reported risks and controversies”. Laryngoscope Investigative Otolaryngology 6 (2018): 457-462.
- Ciriello V., et al. “Clinical outcomes after repair of quadriceps tendon rupture: a systematic review”. Injury 11 (2012): 1931-1938.
- Helito C., et al. “Reinforcement with fascia lata as an alternative in the repair of chronic quadriceps tendon injuries”. Upsala Journal of Medical Sciences 4 (2014): 354-356.
- McCormick F., et al. “Autologous hamstring tendon used for revision of quadiceps tendon tears”. Orthopedics4 (2013): e529-e532.