Acute Tonsillitis in COVID-19 Patients: Case Report
Diaa El Din Mohamed El Hennawi1, Mohamed Rifaat Ahmed1*, Mohamed T El Tabbakh1 and Mahmoud Hassan Eid2
1Professor of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
2Assistant Lecturer of Otorhinolaryngology, Faculty of medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
*Corresponding Author: Mohamed Rifaat Ahmed, Professor of Otolaryngology, Faculty of Medicine, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt.
May 25, 2023; Published: July 11, 2023
Background: Coronavirus and tonsillitis can have similar symptoms, such as fever and sore throat, digestive discomfort, and headache. However diagnosis could be little confused.
Case Presentation: A 33-year- old female patient presented with severe odynophagia last 3 days with generalized arthralgia and bone aches. On examination there was bilateral whitish pseudo-membranous follicullar tonsillitis. tonsillar swab reported no bacterial growth or any evidence of fungal infection, superficial pseudo-membranous examined biopsy revealed acute inflammatory exudate. Real-time reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (rRT-PCR) proved SARS-CoV-2.
Conclusions: Our findings demonstrate that viral exposure to COVID‐19 is possibly a key factor in the pathophysiology pseudo-membranous follicullar tonsillitis and uses of antiviral and steroids maybe helps in control the infection.
Keywords: Acute; Tonsillitis; COVID-19; PCR
- Windfuhr JP., et al. “Clinical practice guideline: Tonsillitis I. Diagnostics and nonsurgical management”. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology4 (2016): 973-987.
- Zahran AM., et al. “Differential alterations in peripheral lymphocyte subsets in COVID-19 patients: upregulation of double-positive and double-negative T cells”. Multidisciplinary Respiratory Medicine 2 (2021): 758.
- Abdelmaksoud AA., et al. “Olfactory Disturbances as Presenting Manifestation Among Egyptian Patients with COVID-19: Possible Role of Zinc”. Biological Trace Element Research 11 (2021): 4101-4108.
- Pohl MO., et al. “SARS-CoV-2 variants reveal features critical for replication in primary human cells”. PLoS Biology3 (2021): e3001006.
- Struyf T., et al. “Signs and symptoms to determine if a patient presenting in primary care or hospital outpatient settings has COVID-19 disease”. Cochrane Database System Review7 (2020): CD013665.
- Safiabadi Tali SH., et al. “Tools and Techniques for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)/COVID-19 Detection”. Clinical Microbiology Review3 (2021): e00228-320.
- Edwards MJ., et al. “ENT UK coronavirus disease 2019 adult tonsillitis and quinsy guidelines: translating guidance into practice”. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 7 (2021): 579-583.
- Al-Jabir A., et al. “Impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on surgical practice - Part 1”. International Journal of Surgery 79 (2020): 168-179.
- Kaur S., et al. “The looming storm: Blood and cytokines in COVID-19”. Blood Review 46 (2021): 100743.
- Nagura-Ikeda M., et al. “Clinical Evaluation of Self-Collected Saliva by Quantitative Reverse Transcription-PCR (RT-qPCR), Direct RT-qPCR, Reverse Transcription-Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification, and a Rapid Antigen Test To Diagnose COVID-19”. Journal of Clinical Microbiology9 (2020): e01438-20.
- El-Anwar MW., et al. “Analysis of Ear, Nose and Throat Manifestations in COVID-19 Patients”. International Archives of Otorhinolaryngology3 (2021): e343-e348.
- Lima CMAO. “Information about the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19)”. Radiologia Brasileira2 (2020): V-VI.
- Zhang J., et al. “Risk factors for disease severity, unimprovement, and mortality in COVID-19 patients in Wuhan, China”. Clinical Microbiology and Infection6 (2020): 767-772.
- Kadriyan H., et al. “COVID-19 infection in the palatine tonsil tissue and detritus: the detection of the virus compartment with RT-PCR”. BMJ Case Report2 (2021): e239108.
- Baig AM., et al. “Evidence of the COVID-19 virus targeting the CNS: tissue distribution, host-virus interaction, and proposed neurotropic mechanisms”. ACS Chemical Neuroscience 11 (2020): 995-998.
- Ziegler CGK., et al. “SARS-CoV-2 receptor ACE2 is an interferon-stimulated gene in human airway epithelial cells and is detected in specific cell subsets across tissues”. Cell 181 (2020): 1016-1035.
- Proenca‐Modena JL., et al. “High rates of detection of respiratory viruses in tonsillar tissues from children with chronic adenotonsillar disease”. PLoS One 7 (2012): e42136.
- INTEGRATE, The UK ENT Trainee Research Collaborative. “Admission avoidance in tonsillitis and peritonsillar abscess: A prospective national audit during the initial peak of the COVID-19 pandemic”. Clinical Otolaryngology2 (2021): 363-372.
- Wollina U. “Schamberg-like purpuric eruptions and tonsillitis in mild COVID-19”. Dermatologic Therapy4 (2020): e13766.
- H Mulchandani., et al. “Tonsillitis based Early Diagnosis of COVID-19 for Mass-Screening using One-Shot Learning Framework". 2020 IEEE 17th India Council International Conference (INDICON) (2020): 1-6.
- Torretta S., et al. “ENT management of children with adenotonsillar disease during COVID-19 pandemic. Ready to start again?” International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 138 (2020): 110145.
- Malih N., et al. “Unexpected Presentation of COVID-19 in a 38-Year-Old Male Patient: A Case Report”. Case Report on Dermatology 12 (2020): 124-131.