Unusual Case of Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of Sublingual Salivary Gland in an Adolescent Boy
K Krishna Kumar1, Rohini Prasad2 and VJ Niranjana Bharathi3*
1Senior ENT Consultant, Apollo Speciality Hospitals, OMR, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
2Junior ENT Consultant, Apollo Speciality Hospitals, OMR, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
*Corresponding Author: VJ Niranjana Bharathi, Junior ENT Consultant, Apollo Speciality Hospitals, OMR, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
November 25, 2021; Published: January 20, 2022
Mucoepidermoid carcinoma is a very commonly seen malignant neoplasm of major and minor salivary glands. It most commonly arises within the parotid gland, and one-third arises in the minor salivary glands. Sublingual salivary gland malignancies are very rare and constitute 0.5% and 1% of all tumors. The atypical location and appearance of low grade mucoepidermoid carcinomas can mislead clinicians. In this article, we describe a case of a low-grade MEC in a 13-year-old boy arising from the sublingual salivary gland which was mistaken as a ranula preoperatively.
Keywords: Malignant Salivary Gland Tumor; Ranula; Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma
- Jansisyanont P., et al. “Intraoral minor salivary gland neoplasm: A single institution experience of 80 cases”. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 31 (2002): 257-261.
- Bansal A., et al. “Primary intraosseous mucoepidermoid carcinoma of maxilla”. E-Journal of Dentistry1 (2011): 14-17.
- Ali SA., et al. “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of parotid presenting as unilocular cyst”. Journal of Ayub Medical College Abbottabad 2 (2008): 141-142.
- Sumanth KN., et al. “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma: A Mimicker”. Journal of Nepal Dental Association1 (2009): 31-34.
- K Sankar., et al. “Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of Sublingual Salivary Gland: A Rare Case Report”. Annals of Maxillofacial Surgery 1 (2021): 183-186.
- Guzzo M., et al. “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands: clinicopathologic review of 108 patients treated at the National Cancer Institute of Milan”. Annals of Surgonocology 9 (2002): 688-695.
- Greenberg MS and Glick M. “Burket’s Oral Medicine Diagnosis and Treatment”. 10th Elsevier: New Delhi (2003): 235-265.
- Asuquo ME., et al. “Giant Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of the Parotid Gland: A Case Report and Review of Literature”. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Oncology 2 (2013): 1.
- “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of salivary glands”. Radiopaedia35 (2015).
- Spiro RH., et al. “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of salivary gland origin. A clinicopathologic study of 367 cases”. The American Journal of Surgery 136 (1978): 461-468.
- Rapidis AD., et al. “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the salivary glands. Review of the literature and clinicopathological analysis of 18 patients”. Oral Oncology2 (2007): 130-136.
- Rinaldo A., et al. “Management of malignant sublingual salivary gland tumours”. Oral Oncology 40 (2004): 2-5.
- Pavani Donempudi., et al. “Mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the minor salivary gland: Presenting as ranula”. Journal of Cancer Research and Therapeutics6 (2018): 1418-1421.
- Aruna Kumari Maloth., et al. “Mucoepidermoid Carcinoma of Floor of the Mouth - A Rarity”. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research12 (2015).