Management of Lost Interdental Papilla by a Surgical Approach - A Case Report
Subuhi Mudassar1, Mehvish Saleem2*, Mayur Kaushik3 and Sachin Gupta2
1Post Graduate Student, Department of Periodontology, Subharti Dental College and Hospital, Swami Vivekanand Subharti University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India
2Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontology, Subharti Dental College and Hospital, Swami Vivekanand Subharti University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India
3Professor and Head, Department of Periodontology, Subharti Dental College and Hospital, Swami Vivekanand Subharti University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India
*Corresponding Author: Mehvish Saleem, Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontology, Subharti Dental College and Hospital, Swami Vivekanand Subharti University, Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India.
September 15, 2021; Published: November 18, 2021
Black triangles or absence or loss of interdental papillae (IDP) is one of the most important steps of decision-making process of clinicians. The IDP is a dense connective tissue that is covered by oral epithelium and is found in the space between the gingival tissues of two adjacent teeth. It protects the periodontal structures by acting as a biological barrier, and also plays a critical role in aesthetics. The shape of the IDP between the teeth is determined by three important aspects - contact relationship, the width of the proximal tooth surfaces, and the course of the cemento-enamel junction (CEJ). The loss of IDP creates esthetic and phonetic problem and may also lead to food impaction. Orthodontic, prosthetic and restorative procedures are the non-surgical approaches that can modify interproximal spaces thereby inducing modifications to the soft tissues. The surgical technique aims to re-contour, preserve and reconstruct the soft tissue between the teeth. In the present case, pouch technique (Han and Takei) using Connective tissue graft was performed for papilla reconstruction.
Keywords: Interdental Papillae (IDP); Black Triangles; Soft Tissues
- Blatz MB., et al. “Reconstruction of the Lost Interproximal Papilla Presentation of Surgical and Nonsurgical Approaches”. International Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 19 (1999): 395-406.
- Beagle JR. “Surgical Reconstruction of the Interdental Papilla”. Case Report International Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 12 (1992): 145-151.
- Miller PD and Allen EP. “The Development of Periodontal Plastic Surgery”. Periodontology 11 (2000): 7-17.
- R Mutha., et al. “Papillary reconstruction: A case report”. Journal of Advanced Periodontology and Implant Dentistry 1 (2015): 33-34.
- Jaiswal P., et al. “Surgical reconstruction of interdental papilla using subethelial connective tissue graft (SCTG) with a coronally advanced flap: A clinical evaluation of five cases”. The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice 11 (2010): 1-11.
- Academy Report Informational Paper. “Oral Reconstructive and Corrective Considerations in Periodontal Therapy”. Journal of Periodontology 76 (2005): 1588-1600.
- Tarnow DP., et al. “The Effect of the Distance from the Contact Point to the Crest of Bone on the Presence or absence Of the Interproximal Papilla”. Journal of Periodontology 63 (1992): 995-996.
- McGuire MK. “Periodontal Plastic Surgery”. Dental Clinics of North America 42 (1998): 411-415.
- Saleem M., et al. “Root Biomodification enhancing the predictability of isolated recession coverage – A 3-year follow-up case report”. Journal of Advanced Medical and Dental Sciences Research 7 (2021): 112-114.
- Krishnan IS and Kheur MG. “Esthetic Considerations for The Interdental Papilla. Eliminating Black Triangles around Restorations: A Literature Review”. The Journal of the Indian Prosthodontic Society 6 (2006): 1641-1669.
- Miller PD. “Root Coverage Using a Free Soft Tissue Autograft Following Citric Acid Application. Part 1: Technique”. International Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2 (1982): 65-70.
- Han TJ and Takei HH. “Progress in gingival papilla reconstruction”. Periodontology 11 (2000): 65-68.
- Tomar N., et al. “Reconstruction of interdental papilla with platelet-rich fibrin membrane”. Journal of Current Research in Scientific Medicine 2 (2016): 112-115.
- Carranza N and Zogbi C. “Reconstruction of interdental papilla with an underlying subepithelial connective tissue graft: technical considerations and a case report”. International Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 31 (2011): 45-50.
- Sawai ML and Kohad RM. “An evaluation of a periodontal plastic surgical procedure for the reconstruction of interdental papillae in maxillary anterior region: A clinical study”. Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology 16 (2012): 533-583.
- Carnio J. “Surgical Reconstruction of Interdental Papilla Using an Interposed Subepithelial Connective Tissue Graft: A Case Report”. International Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 24 (2004): 34-37.
- Liu CL and Weisgold AS. “Connective Tissue Graft: A Classification for Incision Design from The Palatal Site and Clinical Case Reports”. International Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 22 (2002): 373-379.