Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Maxilla: Report a Case
Mohammad Reza Afzalzadeh1, Bashir Rasoulian2 and Masoomeh Hosseinpoor2*
1Assistant Professor of ENT at Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
2Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
*Corresponding Author: Masoomeh Hosseinpoor, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran.
July 23, 2021; Published: August 09, 2021
An aneurysmal bone cyst (ABC) is a rare benign multicystic mass, which its frequency in the head and neck is very low. The majority of ABCs of head and neck are located in the mandible and there are few cases with ABCs in the maxilla bone. It is commonly found in patients younger than 20 years old. ABC should be considered in a differential diagnosis of benign swelling in the sinonasal area. Here we present the case of a young woman with a massive aneurysmal bone cyst of the anterior skull base as an educational example and a reminder to consider ABC in the differential diagnosis of benign swelling in the maxillofacial area.
Keywords: Aneurysmal Bone Cyst; Maxillofacial, Spiral Computed Tomography; Sphenoid Sinuses
- Mankin HJ., et al. “Aneurysmal bone cyst: a review of 150 patients”. Journal of Clinical Oncology27 (2005): 6756-6762.
- Yadav J., et al. “Aneurysmal bone cyst of the paranasal sinuses: a rare entity”. Clinical Rhinology: An International Journal2 (2011): 93-95.
- Tang I., et al. “Aneurysmal bone cyst of the maxilla”. Singapore Medical Journal9 (2009): e326-328.
- Flores IL., et al. “Simple and aneurysmal bone cyst: Aspects of jaw pseudocysts based on an experience of Brazilian pathology service during 53 years”. Medicina Oral, Patologia Oral, Cirugia Bucal1 (2017): e64-e69.
- Henriques ACG., et al. “Clinical pathological analysis of nine cases of aneurysmal bone cyst of the jaws in a Brazilian population”. European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology3 (2012): 971-976.
- Itshayek E., et al. “Fibrous dysplasia in combination with aneurysmal bone cyst of the occipital bone and the clivus: case report and review of the literature”. Neurosurgery3 (2002): 815-818.
- Hashemi SM., et al. “A Rare Case of Aneurysmal Bone Cyst in the Paranasal Sinus”. Iranian Journal of Otorhinolaryngology82 (2015): 395-399.
- Simsek G., et al. “Aneurysmal bone cyst in the middle turbinate: a case report”. Ear, Nose and Throat Journal6 (2013): E47-E50.
- Salmasi V., et al. “Expanded endonasal endoscopic approach for resection of a large skull base aneurysmal bone cyst in a pediatric patient with extensive cranial fibrous dysplasia”. Child's Nervous System4 (2011): 649-656.
- Çomunoğlu N., et al. “Histopathology of giant cell tumors of the bone: With special emphasis on fibrohistiocytic and aneurysmal bone cyst like components”. Acta Orthopaedica et Traumatologica Turcica1 (2019): 35-39.
- Motamedi MHK., et al. “Assessment of 120 maxillofacial aneurysmal bone cysts: a nationwide quest to understand this enigma”. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery8 (2014): 1523-1530.
- Reddy AVS., et al. “Juvenile ossifying fibroma with aneurysamal bone cyst: a case report”. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR10 (2014): ZD01.
- El Deeb M., et al. “Aneurysmal bone cyst of the jaws: Report of a case associated with fibrous dysplasia and review of the literature”. International Journal of Oral Surgery4 (1980): 301-311.
- Palmerini E., et al. “Denosumab in patients with aneurysmal bone cysts: a case series with preliminary results”. Tumori Journal5 (2018): 344-351.
- Boyaci S., et al. “Misdiagnosed Orbital Aneurysmal Bone Cyst: A Case Report and Review”. Neurosurgery Quarterly3 (2015): 368-373.
- Grahneis F., et al. “Aneurysmal bone cyst: A review of 65 patients”. Journal of Bone Oncology 18 (2019): 100255.