Acute Parotitis: An Atypical Manifestation of Covid-19
Final Year MBBS, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
*Corresponding Author: Vaishnavi Kavirayani, Final Year MBBS, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka, India.
July 24, 2021; Published: July 29, 2021
While the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) commonly presents with respiratory symptoms, there has been a rise in the number of atypical manifestations with the unfolding of the pandemic. Acute parotitis is one such atypical manifestation associated with COVID-19. It is important that physicians familiarize themselves with these atypical symptoms in order to prevent infection and disease transmission. It is important that COVID-19 be considered in the differential of parotitis and other virus-causing syndromes, as well as emphasize on the importance of personal protection during initial examination.
Keywords: COVID-19; Coronavirus; Acute Parotitis; Atypical Manifestation; Salivary Gland
- Zhu H., et al. “The novel coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan, China”. Global Health Research and Policy6 (2020).
- Nanshan Chen., et al. “Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study”. The Lancet10223 (2020): 507-513.
- Capaccio P., et al. “Acute parotitis: a possible precocious clinical manifestation of sars-cov-2 infection?” Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery1 (2020):182-183.
- Wang Wei-Kung., et al. “Detection of SARS-associated coronavirus in throat wash and saliva in early diagnosis”. Emerging Infectious Diseases7 (2004): 1213-1219.
- Xu H., et al. “High expression of ACE2 receptor of 2019-nCoV on the epithelial cells of oral mucosa”. International Journal of Oral Science8 (2020).
- Okada Yasuo., et al. “Pathogenesis of taste impairment and salivary dysfunction in COVID-19 patients”. The Japanese Dental Science Review (2021).
- Zahran M., et al. “Atypical otolaryngologic manifestations of COVID-19: a review”. The Egyptian Journal of Otolaryngology5 (2021).
- Lina I Elbadawi., et al. “Non-mumps Viral Parotitis During the 2014–2015 Influenza Season in the United States”. Clinical Infectious Diseases4 (2018): 493-501.
- Lechien Jerome R., et al. “Parotitis-Like Symptoms Associated with COVID-19, France”. Emerging Infectious Diseases9 (2020): 2270-2271.
- Zhen Yu Lim., et al. “COVID-19 associated parotitis”. ID Cases 24 (2021): e01122.
- Riad Abanoub., et al. “Acute parotitis as a presentation of COVID-19?” Oral Diseases 25 (2020).
- Fisher Jennifer., et al. “COVID-19 associated parotitis”. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine 39 (2021): 254.e1-254.e3.
- Yildis Ekemen Keles., et al. “Acute parotitis in a 4-year-old in association with COVID 19”. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health6 (2021): 958-959.
- Chowdhury MRU., et al. “International Journal of Community Medicine and Public Health”. International Journal of Community Medicine And Public Health3 (2021): 1508-1511.
- , et al. “Coronavirus Infections in Children Including COVID-19: An Overview of the Epidemiology, Clinical Features, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention Options in Children”. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 39.5 (2020): 355-368.
- Monica Fung., et al. “COVID-19 in Immunocompromised Hosts: What We Know So Far”. Clinical Infectious Diseases2 (2021): 340-350.
- Monira Taha Ismail., et al. “Parotitis as clinical manifestation of COVID-19 infection, emergency physician experience: A case report”. Medicine Science4 (2020): 1089-1092.