Mucormycosis- A Post Covid Challenge in India
Amil Sharma1*, Sarvesha Bhondwe2, Rupali Balpande3, Arpit Sikri4, Sharmishtha Sharma5 and Nirmal Tawar6
1Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Maharana Pratap College of Dentistry and Research Centre, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India
2Professor and Head, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Y C M M & R D F’s Dental College and Hospital, Ahmednagar, India
3Private practitioner Nagpur, Maharashtra, India
4Reader, Bhojia Dental College Baddi, Himachal Pradesh, India
5Private Practitioner, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India
6Private Practitioner, Hoshangabad, Madhya Pradesh, India
*Corresponding Author: Amil Sharma, Senior Lecturer, Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Maharana Pratap College of Dentistry and Research Centre, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India.
June 21, 2021; Published: July 14, 2021
In 2019, an unknown virus known as Covid-19 was discovered in Wuhan, China. The first case of Covid-19 was discovered in India on January 30, 2020. In March 2020 it was declared as a global pandemic by World Health Organization. In 2021 India faced the 2nd wave of Covid-19. Among the patients recovered from Covid19, few developed opportunistic infection with Black fungus also known as Mucormycosis. Diabetes Mellitus was found to be a risk factor in mucormycosis. The main aim of this article is to conduct a detailed review of mucormycosis infection.
Keywords: Mucormycosis; Covid 19; Steroids; Diabetes Mellitus
- Awadhesh Kumar Singh., et al. “Mucormycosis in COVID-19: A systematic review of cases reported worldwide and in India Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research and Reviews 1-29 (2021).
- Ajit Auluck. “Maxillary necrosis by mucormycosis. A case report and literature review”. Medicina Oral, Patologia Oral, Cirugia Bucal 12 (2007): E360-364.
- Syeda Neelam Afroze., et al. “MadalaMucormycosis in a Diabetic Patient: A Case Report with an Insight into Its Pathophysiology”. Contemporary Clinical Dentistry (2017): 662-666.
- Sandip Sarkar., et al. “COVID‑19 and orbital mucormycosis”. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 4 (2021): 1002-1004.
- Mehta S. “Rhino-Orbital Mucormycosis Associated With COVID-19”. Cureus9 (2020): e10726.
- Ourania Nicolatou-Galitis., et al. “Mucormycosis presenting with dental pain and palatal ulcer in a patient with chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia: case report and literature review”. JMM Case Reports (2015): 1-8.
- JG Song., et al. “Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis histologically mimicking mucormycosis”. The Ewha Medical Journal2 (2016): 65-68.
- Aastha Maini., et al. “Sino-orbital mucormycosis in a COVID-19 patient: A case report”. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports 82 (2021): 105957.
- Prakash H and Chakrabarti A. “Epidemiology of Mucormycosis in India”. Microorganisms 9 (2021): 523.
- Amudhan A., et al. “Fungal Infection Emerging Into Oral Cavity: A Rare Case Report with Review of Literature Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences 5.6 (2014): 82-87.
- Arvind Babu Rajendra Santosh., et al. “Fungal Infections of Oral Cavity: Diagnosis, Management, and Association with COVID-19 SN Comprehensive”. Clinical Medicine 3 (2021): 1373-1384.
- Kumar JA., et al. “Mucormycosis in maxilla: Rehabilitation of facial defects using interim removable prostheses: A clinical case report”. Journal of Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences 5 (2013): S163-165.
- Sridhar Gontu Reddy., et al. “Oral mucormycosis: Need for early diagnosis!!” Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences2 (2014): 145-147.
- Robert Branscomb. “An Overview of Mucormycosis ; laboratory medicine 6.33 (2002): 453-455.
- Song G., et al. “Fungal co-infections associated with global COVID-19 pandemic: a clinical and diagnostic perspective from China”. Mycopathologia 185 (2020): 599-606.
- Kubin CJ., et al. “Characterization of Bacterial and Fungal Infections in Hospitalized Patients with COVID-19 and Factors Associated with Healthcare-associated Infections”. Open Forum Infectious Diseases (2021): ofab201.
- Chander J., et al. “Mucormycosis: battle with the deadly enemy over a five-year period in India”. Journal of Fungi2 (2018): 46.
- Prakash H and Chakrabarti A. “Global epidemiology of mucormycosis”. Journal of Fungi 5 (2019): 26.
- Baker RD. “Mucormycosis-a new disease?” The Journal of the American Medical Association 163 (1957): 805-808.