Doppler Ultrasound Study of Umbilical Artery in Clinically Suspected IUGR Pregnancies
Department of Radiology of Mayo Hospital, King Edward Medical University, Lahore, Pakistan
*Corresponding Author: Iqra Ilyas, Department of Radiology of Mayo Hospital, King Edward Medical University, Lahore, Pakistan.
July 05, 2021; Published: July 22, 2021
Objective: Throughout gestation, a Doppler can be used to measure uteroplacental and fetoplacental circulation. It's a sensitive technique for detecting foetal impairment early on and allowing for necessary intervention. The goal of this study was to see if umbilical artery indicators might be used to predict poor perinatal outcomes in pregnancies with medically diagnosed IUGR. The research was carried out in the Mayo Hospital's Department of Radiology in Lahore. 50 patients were discovered to have probable IUGR via easy sampling. This research was conducted over a six-month timeframe. The diagnostic accuracy of IUGR was determined using its sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, negative predictive value, and diagnostic performance. A total of 50 individuals with suspected cases IUGR were examined. We looked at the Doppler of the umbilical artery between 20 and 38 weeks of pregnancy. There were 26 with a regular consequence, 17 with a negative outcome, and 7 with an IUD. Doppler is a useful non-invasive method for identifying and assessing IUGR, whether the foetus is impaired, unfavourable, or has a normal outcome.
Keywords: Intrauterine Growth Restriction; Doppler Assessment; Umbilical Artery
- Baschatt AA and Harman CR. “Antenatal assessment of the growth restricted fetus”. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology 2 (2001): 161-168.
- Benson CB., et al. “Intrautrine growth retriction: Diagnosis based on multiple parameters”. Radiology 2 (1990): 499-502.
- Campbell BA. “Utilizing sonography to follow fetal growth”. Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinics of North America3 (1998): 597-607.
- Doubilet PM and Benson CB. “Sonographic evaluation of intrauterine growth restriction” (1994).
- Finberg HJ., et al. “The biophysical profile: A literature review and reassessment of its usefulness in the evaluation of fetal well-being”. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 10 (1990): 583-591.
- Fong KW and Ohlsson A. “Prediction of perinatal outcome in fetuses suspected to have intrauterine growth restriction: Doppler ultrasound study of umbilical arteries”. Radiology3 (1999): 681-689.
- Galan HL., et al. “Intrauterine Growth restriction: Biomteric and Doppler assessment” (2002).
- Manning FA. “Fetal biophysical profile” (1999).
- Pollack RN and Divon MY. “Intrautrine growth retriction and etiology” (1992).
- Rochelson B., et al. “The significance of absent and reversed end diastolic flow velocity in umbilical artery velocity waveform” (1987).
- Vintzileos AM., et al. “The fetal biophysical profile and its predictive values”. Obstetrics and Gynecology3 (1983): 271-278.
- Dobson PC and Abell DA. “Mortality and morbidity of fetal growth retardation”. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2 (1981): 69-72.
- Gilbert WM and Danielsen B. “Pregnancy outcome associated with IUGR” (2003).
- Benson CB and Dorebilet PM. “Doppler criteria for IUGR prediction value” (1988).
- Newhan JP., et al. “An evaluation of the efficacy of Doppler flow velocity waveform analysis as a serving test in pregnancy”. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2 (1990): 403-410.
- Divon MY and HSU HW. “Maternal and fetal blood flow velocity waveforms in IUGR” (1992).
- Harrington K and Cambells. “Doppler ultrasound in prenatal prediction and diagnosis” (1992).
- Kardorp VH., et al. “Clinical significance of absent or reversed end diastole velocity waveforms in umbilical artery” 1994).
- Sterne G., et al. “Abnormal fetal umbilical artery Doppler measurements in fetuses with IUGR predictors the severity of perinatal morbidity”. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound 3 (2001): 146-151.
- Chervenak FA and Isaacson GC. “The physics of Doppler” (1993).
- Benson CB and Doubilet PM. “Fetal measurements in normal and abnormal fetal growth” (1992).
- Benson CB. “Sonographic prediction of gestational age accuracy of 2nd and 3rd trimester fetal measurements”. AJR American Journal of Roentgenology6 (1991): 1275-1277.
- Lubchenco LO and Hansman C. “Intrautrine growth as a estimated birth weight data” (2001).
- Crane JP and Kopta MM. “Prediction of intrauterine growth retardation via ultrasonographically measured head/AC ratio” (1979).
- Manning FA., et al. “Amount of amniotic fluid volume determination” (1981).
- Philipson EH and Sokol RJ. “Study about oligohydrominos” (1983).
- Kazzi GM., et al. “Study placental grading” (1983).
- Roberts JM. “Pregnancy related hypertension” (1994).
- Berkowitz GS and Mehalek KE. “Doppler umbilical velocimetry in the prediction of adverse outcome in pregnancy at risk for IUGR” (1988).