Ocular Prosthesis: Face to New Look
Janak Poudel1*, Archana Murthy2 and Premnath Krishnasamy3
1Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore, India
2Consultant Ocular Prosthesis Department, Prabha Eye Clinic and Research Centre, Vittala Eye Hospital, Bangalore, India
3Assistant Professor, Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore, India
*Corresponding Author: Janak Poudel, Vittala International Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore, India.
Received:June 13, 2021; Published: July 19, 2021
Our eyes are the windows to our soul as well as the first features of the face to be noted. The human facial disfigurement related with loss of an eye can lead towards extensive levels of physical and emotional problems. The rehabilitation of an affected patient who has suffered the psychological trauma of an ocular loss requires a prosthesis which provides the most efficient cosmetic and useful end result. An ocular prosthesis is a simulation of human anatomy that uses the prosthetic materials to create an illusion of a normal healthy eye and surrounding tissue as well as to preserve the volume of eye socket. A custom made ocular prosthesis has many advantages as compared to stock shell ocular prosthesis.
Keywords: Ocular Prosthesis; Custom Ocular Prosthesis; Stock Shell Ocular Prosthesis; Polymethyl Methacrylate
- Arbaz Sajjad. “Ocular Prosthesis – A simulation of Human Anatomy: A Literature Review”. Cureus (2012).
- Perman KI and Baylis HI. “Evisceration, enucleation and exenteration”. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America 21 (1988): 171-182.
- Lubkin V and Sloan S. “Enucleation and psychic trauma”. Advances in Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 8 (1990): 259-262.
- Parr GR., et al. “Surgical considerations in the prosthetic treatment of ocular and orbital defects”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 49 (1983): 379-385.
- Doshi P and Aruna B. “Prosthetic management of patient with ocular defect”. Journal of Indian Prosthodontic Society 5 (2005): 37-38.
- Ocular Prosthesis. (2011).
- Sykes LM. “Custom made ocular prosthesis: A clinical report”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 75 (1996): 1-4.
- Cain JR. “Custom made ocular prosthesis”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 48 (1982): 690-694.
- Welden RB and Niiranen JV. “Ocular prosthesis”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 6 (1956): 272-278.
- Barlett S and Moore D. “Ocular Prosthesis: A physiologic system”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 29 (1973): 450-459.
- Chandrasekhar Chawan. “Ocular Prosthesis”. 83-165.
- Allen L and Webster H. “Modified impression method of artificial eye fitting”. American Journal of Ophthalmology 67 (1969): 189-218.
- Engelmeir RL. “Autoclave custom made metal impression trays to improve infection control”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 58 (1987): 121-122.
- Sykes L., et al. “Use of custom-made conformers in the treatment of ocular defects”. Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry 82 (1999): 362-365.
- Ahmad N., et al. “Prosthetic Rehabilitation of an Ocular Defect with customized Iris: A Case Report”. Malaysian Dental Journal2 (2014): 1-5.
- Barman J., et al. “Prosthetic rehabilitation of an ocular defect with custom-made ocular prosthesis: A case report”. IP International Journal of Maxillofacial Imaging 1 (2020): 20-23.
- Kirti Somkuwar., et al. “Ocular prosthesis: Patient rehabilitation - A Case Report”. Peoples Journal of Scientific Research.
- “Ocular prosthesis in children – clinical report”. Kathmandu University Medical Journal9 (2005): 81-83.
- Pascale Scuflaire. “Tips for Fitting Eye Prostheses for the Pediatric Patient After Enucleation”. US Ophthalmic Review1 (2016): 49-52.
- Vinit Shah., et al. “Custom ocular prosthesis in rehabilitation of a child operated for retinoblastoma”. National Journal of Maxillofacial Surgery2 (2015).
- “Prosthetic Rehabilitation of a Pediatric Patient with an Ocular Defect”.
- Pinar Cevik., et al. “Different Techniques in fabrication of ocular prosthesis”. The Journal of Craniofacial Surgery6 (2012): 1779-1781.
- Vikas B Kamble., et al. “An ocular prosthesis for Geriatric Patient- A case Report”. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research6 (2013).
- “Fabrication of custom ocular prosthesis using a graphical grid”. Pravara Medical Review (2009): 4/1
- “Prosthetic rehabilitation of an ocular defect: A case report”. International Journal of Applied Dental Science1 (2019): 188-190.
- Lylajam S., et al. “Simplest way to fabricate custom made ocular prosthesis –A case report”. International Journal of Health Sciences and Research6 (2017).