Acta Scientific Medical Sciences (ISSN: 2582-0931)

Research Article Volume 4 Issue 7

Anxiety Level and Associated Factors during Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic in Pregnant Women

Leo Simanjuntak* and Patrick Anando Simanjuntak

Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Nommensen HKBP University, Medan, Indonesia

*Corresponding Author: Leo Simanjuntak, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Nommensen HKBP University, Medan, Indonesia.

Received: April 16, 2020; Published: June 17, 2020

×

Abstract

Background: Coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19) pandemic is spreading widely throughout the world, causing global health crisis and one of the greatest challenges we have ever faced. Indonesia is one of the countries that has been severely affected by COVID-19. The COVID-19 pandemic has created some serious concerns including anxiety in pregnant women. However, due to mental and physical changes in pregnancy, pregnant women are likely to be affected by the virus. At present there is no evidence that pregnant women are at higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19 than the general population. Research is currently ongoing to understand the impacts of COVID-19 in pregnant women. This study aimed to assess the anxiety level and associated factors during COVID-19 pandemic in pregnant women.

Methods: This study used cross-sectional design using primary data on April 2020 at Leo Simanjuntak (Obstetrician and Gynecologist) outpatient clinic. Based on defined criteria, 120 subjects were recruited in this study. Anxiety level assessed using Hamilton Anxiety Rating Scale (HAM-A). Demographic data collected using research questionnaire. Logistic regression were used to identify associated factors on anxiety level.

Results: Our results showed majority of the pregnant women (71%) showed no anxiety. The rest of these pregnant women (29%) showed mild anxiety level (23%) and moderate anxiety (6%). Multivariate data analysis showed that healthcare workers were associated to higher anxiety level, with OR 5.56 (95% CI .33 - 24.09).

Conclusion: Informative and educative advices and suggestions of COVID-19 to pregnant women and their family, such as washing hands frequently, maintain social and physical distancing, using mask to cover the mouth and nose when around others, living healthy life, and doing all the activities from home, can make pregnant women not worried about COVID-19 pandemic, which is supported by this study.

Keywords: Anxiety; Pregnant Women; COVID-19; HAM-A

×

Citation

Citation: Leo Simanjuntak., et al. “Anxiety Level and Associated Factors during Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic in Pregnant Women". Acta Scientific Medical Sciences 4.7 (2020): 29-32.



Member In





News and Events


  • Certification for Review
    Acta Scientific certifies the Editors/reviewers for their review done towards the assigned articles of the respective journals.
  • Submission Timeline for Upcoming Issue
    The last date for submission of articles for regular Issues is July 15, 2020.
  • Publication Certificate
    Authors will be issued a "Publication Certificate" as a mark of appreciation for publishing their work.
  • Best Article of the Issue
    The Editors will elect one Best Article after each issue release. The authors of this article will be provided with a certificate of “Best Article of the Issue”.
  • Welcoming Article Submission
    Acta Scientific delightfully welcomes active researchers for submission of articles towards the upcoming issue of respective journals.
  • Contact US