Acta Scientific Medical Sciences

Research ArticleVolume 2 Issue 1

Antibiotic Sensitivity Pattern in Urinary Tract Infections at a Secondary Care Hospital in Oman

Mohamed Azmi Hassali1*, Yasmeen Alrawhi2 and Ahmed Nouri3

1Professor of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Penang, Malaysia
2Registered Pharmacist, Royal Hospital, Samail, Sultanate of Oman
3Master of Science (Clinical Pharmacy), School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Penang, Malaysia

*Corresponding Author: Mohamed Azmi Hassali, Professor of Social and Administrative Pharmacy, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Penang, Malaysia.

Received: February 16, 2018; Published: March 21, 2018

Citation: Mohamed Azmi Hassali., et al. “Antibiotic Sensitivity Pattern in Urinary Tract Infections at a Secondary Care Hospital in Oman”. Acta Scientific Medical Sciences 2.1 (2018).

Abstract

Objective: The study aims to identify strains of bacterial organisms causing urinary tract infections (UTI), and to determine the pattern of antibiotic susceptibility at a secondary care hospital in Samail, Oman.

Methods: A retrospective evaluation of microbiological culture sensitivity data was conducted using the database of total 155 patients reported with UTI infection between the months of July to December 2016 (6 months) at the department of microbiology in Samail Hospital in Oman.

Results: Out of total 559 cases in database cultured for UTI organism 155 patients met the inclusion criteria with a positive test and the remaining 404 patients showed negative test results either mixed growth or absence of microorganisms. Data was analyzed for 155 UTI cases reported at Samail Hospital. UTI was more commonly observed among age groups 25 - 36 years (n = 37, 24%) and less frequently among age group of 37 - 48 years (6%). The infection was highly prevalent among females (n = 106, 68%) compared to males (n = 49, 32%). E. coli predominated to cause UTI in 118 patients (76%). Other organisms isolated from remaining 37 (24%) patients included Klebsiella pneumonia (n = 2, 6%), Pseudomonas aerugionsa (n = 3, 3%), and others. Empirical treatment for UTI included antibiotics such as amoxicillin, ciprofloxacin, co-amoxiclav, cefuroxime, and nitrofurantoin. High level of resistance was observed with ampicillin (n = 102, 66%) followed by cephradine (n = 48, 31%). The level of sensitivity was more with ciprofloxacin, coamoxiclav, and nitrofurantoin. E. coli isolated from most patients showed the highest sensitivity to ciprofloxacin (57%), co-amoxiclav (50%) and nitrofurantoin (49%) but with noticeable resistance to ampicillin (66%).

Conclusion: Study concludes that UTI are common among the age group of 25 - 36 years highly affecting females more than males. E. coli predominated to cause UTI. Most isolated organisms showed the highest resistance to ampicillin and highest sensitivity to ciprofloxacin. ciprofloxacin may be a better empirical choice compared to amoxicillin among Omani population.

Keywords: Urinary Tract Infection; Drug Sensitivity; Drug Resistance; Organism

Copyright: © 2018 Mohamed Azmi Hassali., et al. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.



Member In




News and Events

  • Submission Timeline
    Last date for submission of articles is June 10, 2019.
  • Publication Certificate
    Authors will be issued a "Publication Certificate" as a mark of appreciation for publishing their work.
  • Best Papers of the Issue
    The Editors will elect one Best Article after each issue release. The authors of this article will be provided with a certificate of “Best Article of the Issue”.
  • Welcoming Article Submission
    Acta Scientific delightfully welcomes active researchers for submission of articles towards the upcoming issue of respective journals.
  • Contact US