Clinical Imaging Procedures and Guidelines during COVID-19 Pandemic
Mustafa Khaled Alhasan1,2* and Mohamed Hasaneen1
1Radiography and Medical Imaging Department, Fatima College of Health Sciences, Abu Dhabi, UAE
2Radiologic Technology Program, Applied Medical Sciences College, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Jordan
*Corresponding Author: Mustafa Khaled Alhasan, Radiography and Medical Imaging Department, Fatima College of Health Sciences, Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Received: June 12, 2021 ; Published: July 21, 2021
COVID-19 is a global pandemic that has affected almost all the world countries and spread quickly among people. Therefore, the World Health Organization (WHO) and governments have implemented strict safety protocols to stop the spread of the virus and to control the infection range. The Radiology department plays a vital role in confirming or following up with COVID-19 cases. Accordingly, guidelines and regulations were implemented to ensure staff and patients’ safety and to overcome the high demand for the imaging procedures.
The purpose of this review is to highlight and address the current imaging procedures, including health and infection control guidelines applied in the radiology department. Therefore, most recent relevant articles from different databases were reviewed and summarized.
Precautionary measures including portable X-ray equipment to restrict transporting infected patients to radiology departments, utilization of personal protective equipment (PPE) and disposable gowns, and disinfecting CT, MRI gantry and ultrasound probes should be strictly implemented by radiology department personnel. During US imaging, US examiner might be at risk of getting infected due to close contact with the patient and prolonged examination time, especially with point-of-care and portable US. Regarding the radiology staff, temporal and physical team segregation strategy can be an effective way in managing radiology department workload. Therefore, maintaining the mental and physical health of staff play a critical role to implement proper health care procedures to the COVID-19 patients.
Keywords: COVID-19; Precautions; Guidelines; Radiology; CT; MRI
- “Coronaviruses Fact Sheet” (2020).
- Backer JA., et al. “Incubation Period of 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019- NCoV) Infections among Travellers from Wuhan, China, 20 28 January 2020”. Euro Surveillance5 (2020): 2000062.
- Ashari MA., et al. “Strategies for Radiology Departments in Handling the COVID-19 Pandemic”. Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology (Ankara, Turkey) 4 (2020): 296-300.
- Yang Z., et al. “Distinguishing COVID-19 from Influenza Pneumonia in the Early Stage through CT Imaging and Clinical Features”. medRxiv17 (2020): 20061242.
- “Similarities and Differences between Flu and COVID-19” (2020).
- Yin Z., et al. “A Comparison of Clinical and Chest CT Findings in Patients with Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection and Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)”. American Journal of Roentgenology5 (2020): 1065-1071.
- Huang Z., et al. “The Battle Against Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Emergency Management and Infection Control in a Radiology Department”. Journal of the American College of Radiology6 (2020): 710-716.
- Goh Y., et al. “Operational Strategies to Prevent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Spread in Radiology: Experience From a Singapore Radiology Department After Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome”. Journal of the American College of Radiology6 (2020): 717-723.
- Ding J., et al. “Prevention and Control Measures in Radiology Department for COVID-19”. European Radiology7 (2020): 3603-3608.
- Khan SH., et al. “Coronavirus Disease Analysis Using Chest X-ray Images and a Novel Deep Convolutional Neural Network”. preprint (2020).
- Cozzi D., et al. “Chest X-ray in New Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Infection: Findings and Correlation with Clinical Outcome”. Radiology Medica8 (2020): 730-737.
- Gogna A., et al. “Diagnostic Ultrasound Services During the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Pandemic”. American Journal of Roentgenology5 (2020): 1130-1135.
- “Obstetric ultrasound examinations during the COVID-19 pandemic”. Society of Radiographers (2020).
- Shen X., et al. “Coronavirus Disease 2019: MRI Examination Procedures and Infection Prevention and Protection”. Annals of Translational Medicine's17 (2020): 1074-1074.
- “Radiology Departments Preparedness Plan for COVID-19” (2020).
- Qu J., et al. “Infection Control for CT Equipment and Radiographers’ Personal Protection during the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Outbreak in China”. American Journal of Roentgenology4 (2020): 940-944.
- Zhao S., et al. “Anesthetic Management of Patients with COVID -19 Infections during Emergency Procedures”. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 5 (2020): 1125-1131.
- An P., et al. “Management Strategy of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pneumonia in the Radiology Department: A Chinese Experience”. Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology3 (2020): 200-203.
- Basha MM., et al. “Radiology Department Preparedness for COVID-19: Radiology Scientific Expert Review Panel”. Radiology 2 (2020): E106-E112.
- Liang Y., et al. “Screening for Chinese Medical Staff Mental Health by SDS and SAS during the Outbreak of COVID-19”. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 133 (2020): 110102.
- Chaudhry FB and Raza S. “COVID-19: Frontline Experience at a Tertiary Care Hospital in UK”. Journal of Global Health1 (2020): 10.010356.
- Ertl Wagner BB., et al. “Preparedness for the COVID-19 Pandemic in a Tertiary Pediatric Radiology Department”. Pediatric Radiology8 (2020): 1059-1068.
- Pan W., et al. “Mental State of Central Sterile Supply Department Staff during COVID-19 Epidemic and CART Analysis”. BMC Health Services Research 1 (2020): 1006.
- “Things to Know about the COVID-19 Pandemic” (2020).
- Ierardi AM., et al. “How to Handle a COVID-19 Patient in the Angiographic Suite”. CardioVascular and Interventional Radiology6 (2020): 820-826.
- Alvin MD., et al. “The Impact of COVID-19 on Radiology Trainees”. Radiology2 (2020): 246-248.
- Cárdenas Camarena L., et al. “Elective Surgery during SARS-Cov-2/COVID-19 Pandemic: Safety Protocols with Literature Review”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery—Global Open 6 (2020): e2973.
- Dashraath P., et al. “Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic and Pregnancy”. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology6 (2020): 521-531.
- Davenport MS., et al. “ACR Statement on Safe Resumption of Routine Radiology Care During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic”. Journal of the American College of Radiology 7 (2020): 839-844.
- “Interim Guidance” (2020).
- Jakobsson J., et al. “Physical Activity During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic: Prevention of a Decline in Metabolic and Immunological Functions”. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living 2 (2020): 57.
- Kooraki S., et al. “Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak: What the Department of Radiology Should Know”. Journal of the American College of Radiology4 (2020): 447-451.
- LaHue SC., et al. “Collaborative Delirium Prevention in the Age of COVID-19”. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 5 (2020): 947-949.
- Lv M., et al. “Chest Computed Tomography for the Diagnosis of Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): A Rapid Review and Meta-Analysis”. Annals of Translational Medicine's10 (2020): 622-622.
- Jin JM., et al. “Gender Differences in Patients With COVID-19: Focus on Severity and Mortality”. Frontiers in Public Health 8 (2020): 152.
- Mirza SK., et al. “Microbiology for Radiologists: How to Minimize Infection Transmission in the Radiology Department”. Radiographics4 (2015): 1231-1244.
- Rab S., et al. “Face Masks Are New Normal after COVID-19 Pandemic”. Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome 6 (2020): 1617-1619.
- Raptis CA., et al. “Chest CT and Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): A Critical Review of the Literature to Date”. American Journal of Roentgenology4 (2020): 839-842.
- Wang Z., et al. “Survival Analysis of Hospital Length of Stay of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pneumonia Patients in Sichuan, China”. medRxiv (2020): 2020.04.07.20057299.
- “Situation Report-82 HIGHLIGHTS” (2020).
- “COVID-19 strategy update” (2020).
- Wu K., et al. “Generalized Logistic Growth Modeling of the COVID-19 Outbreak: Comparing the Dynamics in the 29 Provinces in China and in the Rest of the World”. Nonlinear Dynamics3 (2020): 1561-1581.