Gastroenterology Clinic and Related Challenges in Covid Era-Mini Review Article
Keron Akintola Ayodele Blair1, Precious Pedersen2, Mahnoor Aitzaz Khan3, Syed Sami Iqbal Ahmed3, Ahmed Abdullah4, Ibrahim Khalil3, Adnan Ali5, Masooma Afridi6, Muhammad Usman Sharif3, Huda Ijaz7, Fatima Saqib Rashid3, Nadeem Iqbal8* and Amna Khan9
1American International School of Medicine, Georgetown, Guyana
2Windsor University School of Medicine, Saint Kitts and Nevis
3Shifa College of Medicine, Pakistan
4King Edward Medical University, Pakistan
5Latin American School of Medicine, Cuba
6Islamabad Medical and Dental College, Islamabad
7Allama Iqbal Medical College, Lahore, Pakistan
8Pakistan Kidney and Liver Institute Lahore, Pakistan
9United Medical & Dental College, Karachi
*Corresponding Author: Nadeem Iqbal, Pakistan Kidney and Liver Institute Lahore, Pakistan.
June 13, 2022; Published:
The COVID-19 pandemic had profound effect on the healthcare dynamics and operational activities. This also involved the much important department of Gastroenterology care. Adapting safe distancing measures for outdoor patient care, such as modification of waiting areas to create safe distancing between patients, reduction of crowding in closed areas, managing judiciously the waiting times and motivating patients to wait outside premises of the hospital or clinic wherever feasible. Most effective tool can be the telemedicine consultations made by video phone calls.
The aim of this review was to delve into this important aspect in the current literature on both the direct repercussions of catching COVID-19 on the delivery of quality services in Gastroenterology clinics during the restrictions of pandemic.
Keywords: COVID-19; Gastroenterology Care; Pandemic; Telemedicine
- Koo JR., et al. “Interventions to mitigate early spread of SARS-CoV-2 in Singapore: a modelling study”. The Lancet Infectious Diseases (2020).
- Lavezzo E., et al. “Suppression of COVID-19 outbreak in the municipality of Vo, Italy”. medRxiv (2020).
- Zhou F., et al. “Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study”. Lancet 395.10229 (2020): 1054-1062.
- Ge H., et al. “The epidemiology and clinical information about COVID-19”. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (2020): 1-9.
- Wong SH., et al. “Covid-19 and the digestive system”. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 35 (2020): 744.
- Yang X., et al. “Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study”. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine (2020).
- Wölfel R., et al. “Virological assessment of hospitalized patients with COVID-2019”. Nature 581 (2020): 465-469.
- Tian Y., et al. “Review article: gastrointestinal features in COVID-19 and the possibility of faecal transmission”. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics 51 (2020): 843-851.
- Boettler T., et al. “Care of patients with liver disease during the COVID-19 pandemic: EASL-ESCMID position paper”. JHEP Reports 2 (2020): 100113.
- Repici A., et al. “Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak: what the department of endoscopy should know”. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2020).
- Chiu PWY., et al. “Practice of endoscopy during COVID-19 pandemic: position statements of the Asian Pacific Society for digestive endoscopy (APSDECOVID statements)”. Gut 69 (2020): 991-996.
- Iacucci M., et al. “Endoscopy in inflammatory bowel diseases during the COVID-19 pandemic and post-pandemic period”. The Lancet Gastroenterology and Hepatology (2020).
- Ungaro RC., et al. “What Should Gastroenterologists and Patients Know About COVID-19?” Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology (2020).
- Gralnek IM., et al. “ESGE and ESGENA position statement on gastrointestinal endoscopy and the COVID-19 pandemic”. Endoscopy 52 (2020): 483-490.
- Lui RN., et al. “Overview of guidance for endoscopy during the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic”. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology 35 (2020): 749-759.
- Iqbal N., et al. “Telemedicine in Urology Clinic in COVID Era and the Inherent Challenges in Developing Countries: Review Article”. Journal of Biology and Today's World 9 (2020): 001-003.
- Cortegoso Valdivia P., et al. “Separated pathways in the endoscopy unit for COVID-19 patients”. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (2020).