The Remodeled Ossein-Fibrous Dysplasia
Department of Histopathology, Panjab University/A.B. Diagnostics, India
*Corresponding Author: Anubha Bajaj, Department of Histopathology, Panjab University/A.B. Diagnostics, India.
July 17, 2021; Published: July 28, 2021
Fibrous dysplasia is a benign bone lesion demonstrating intramedullary fibro-osseous proliferation occurring on account of modified osteogenesis. Fibrous dysplasia was initially scripted by Lichtenstein and Jaffe in 1942 and chronicled as “Jaffe-Lichtenstein syndrome” . Fibrous dysplasia was also designated as osteitis fibrosa or generalized fibrocystic disease of bone. Fibrous dysplasia can incriminate a singular bone, denominated as monostotic fibrous dysplasia or multiple bones, termed as polyostotic fibrous dysplasia.
- Lichtenstein L and Jaffe HL. “Fibrous dysplasia of bone: a condition affecting one, several or many bones, the graver cases of which may present abnormal pigmentation of skin, premature sexual development, hyperthyroidism or still other extraskeletal abnormalities”. Archives of Pathology 33 (1942): 777-816.
- Tafti D and Cecava ND. “Fibrous Dysplasia”. Stat Pearls International, Treasure Island, Florida 2021.
- Munksgaard PS., et al. “Mazabraud's syndrome: case report and literature review”. Acta Radiologica Short Reports4 (2013): 2047981613492532.
- Robinson C., et al. “Fibrous Dysplasia/McCune-Albright Syndrome: Clinical and Translational Perspectives”. Current Osteoporosis Reports5 (2016): 178-186.
- Riddle ND, Bui MM” Fibrous dysplasia”. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine1 (2013): 134-138.
- Adetayo OA., et al. “Fibrous dysplasia: an overview of disease process, indications for surgical management and a case report”. Eplasty 15 (2015): e6.
- Stanton RP., et al. “The surgical management of fibrous dysplasia of bone”. Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases1 (2012): S1.
- Batista KT., et al. “Monostotic fibrous dysplasia of the metacarpal: a case report”. Revista Brasileira de Ortopedia65 (2016): 730-734.
- Bousson V., et al. “Fibrous dysplasia and McCune-Albright syndrome: imaging for positive and differential diagnoses, prognosis, and follow-up guidelines”. European Journal of Radiology10 (2014): 1828-1842.
- Boyce AM., et al. “Association of Hearing Loss and Otologic Outcomes With Fibrous Dysplasia”. JAMA Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery2 (2018): 102-107.
- Han I., et al. “Monostotic fibrous dysplasia of the proximal femur: natural history and predisposing factors for disease progression”. The Bone and Joint Journal 96-B.5 (2014): 673-676.
- Image 1 Courtesy: Turkish Journal of Pathology.
- Image 2 Courtesy: Webpathology.com.
- Image 3 Courtesy: Wikipedia.
- Image 4 Courtesy: Wikimedia Commons
- Image 5 Courtesy: Asian journal of Neurosurgery.
- Image 6 and 7 Courtesy: Pathology outlines.
- Image 8 Courtesy: Orthobullets.com.