The new corona virus pneumonia caused by COVID-19 having begun in China, has now reached almost all countries of the
world, affecting more than 500,000 people, of which more than 25,000 people have died. Unfortunately, specific measures for both
preventing and treating this infection, which has pandemic status, are still lacking, which makes this problem very urgent. In severe
pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) develops - toxic pulmonary edema with severe and difficult to correct
respiratory failure, which requires an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO). Since endotoxemia is the basis for ARDS
development, extracorporeal detoxification methods should play a leading role in the treatment of this complication. Moreover, with
help of hemosorption, not only detoxification is achieved, but also decontamination (delay and removal of pathogens), and with
plasma exchange, the body's immune defense system is restored.
1. Buttenschoen K., et al. “Endotoxemia and endotoxin tolerance in patients with ARDS”. Langenbeck's Archives of Surgery 393.4 (2008): 473-478.
2. Inagawa R., et al. “Ultrastructural Alteration of Pulmonary Capillary Endothelial Glycocalyx During Endotoxemia”. Chest 154.2 (2018): 317-325.
3. Voinov VA., et al. “Issues of the pathogenesis and treatment of respiratory distress syndrome in viral-bayacterial pneumonia”. In: “Immunology and pathogenesis of influenza and flu-like diseases”, Leningrad (1991): 82-87.
4. Ohtsuki Y., et al. “Early Stages of Hyaline Membrane Formation Detected in Alveolar Mouths in Diffuse Alveolar-Damage-Associated Diseases: A Detailed Immunohistochemical Study”. International Journal of Surgical Pathology 23.7 (2015): 524-530.
5. Basu RK. “Acute kidney injury in hospitalized pediatric patients”. Pediatric Annals 47 (2018): e286-e291.
6. Voinov VA., et al. “Therapeutic Apheresis in Acute Kidney Injury”. American Journal of Kidney Diseases 4.3 (2018): 1000172.
7. Voinov VA., et al. “Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and hemosorption in the treatment of severe forms of respiratory distress syndrome]”. Efferentnaya Therapia 1.1 (1995): 36-39.
8. Gotloib L. “Hemofiltration in multiorgan failure syndrome secondary to sepsis: a critical analysis of heterogeneitry”. Nephron 73.2 (1996): 125-130.
9. Fan E., et al. “Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment”. The Journal of the American Medical Association 319.7 (2018): 698-710.
10. Patel B., et al. “Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation as rescue therapy for severe hypoxemic respiratory failure”. Journal of Thoracic Disease 11.14 (2019): S1688-S1697.
11. Badet M., et al. “Comparison of optimal positive end-expiratory pressure and recruitment maneuvers during lung-protective mechanical ventilation in patients with acute lung injury/acute respiratory distress syndrome”. Respir Care 54.7 (2009): 847-854.
12. Chang I and Schibler A. “Ventilator Associated Pneumonia in Children”. Paediatric Respiratory Reviews 20 (2016): 10-16.
13. Weiterer S., et al. “Sepsis in mechanically ventilated patients with spinal cord injury: a retrospective analysis”. Spinal Cord 57.4 (2019): 293-300.
14. Maclaren G and Butt W. “Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and sepsis”. Critical Care and Resuscitation Journal 9 (2007): 76-80.
15. Zabrocki LA., et al. “Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for pediatric respiratory failure: Survival and predictors of mortality”. Critical Care Medicine 39.2 (2011): 364-370.
16. Dadras M., et al. “Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for acute respiratory distress syndrome in burn patients: a case series and literature up date”. Burns Trauma 7 (2019): 28.
17. Xia J., et al. “Spontaneous breathing in patients with severe acute respiratory distress syndrome receiving prolonged extracorporeal membrane oxygenation”. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 19.1 (2019): 237.
18. Bos LD., et al. “ARDS: challenges in patient care and frontiers in research”. European Respiratory Society 27 (2018): 147.
19. Voinov VA. “Therapeutic apheresis”. Celebris, Constanta (Romania) (2016): 403.
Citation:Voinov VA., et al. “Extracorporeal Detoxification and Immunocorrection in Treatment of Corona Virus Pneumonia Complications”.Acta Scientific Gastrointestinal Disorders 3.5 (2020): 12-17.