Bleaching in Primary Teeth-Mini Review
Attiguppe Ramasetty Prabhakar1 and Divya Doddamani2*
1Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Former Head of the Department and Principal, Bapuji Dental College and Hospital, Davangere, Karnataka, India
2Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, Consultant Pediatric Dentist at Dental Hub, Badiadka, Kasaragod District, Kerala, India
*Corresponding Author: Divya Doddamani, Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry), Consultant Pediatric Dentist at Dental Hub, Badiadka, Kasaragod District, Kerala, India.
Received: November 03, 2021; Published: November 25, 2021
Tooth discoloration among children is often accompanied by dissatisfaction in appearance, leading to adverse psychological effects. Aesthetics is a common concern in routine clinical practice and, it is an integral component for psycho-emotional development of the child in its environment. Most of the reviews on bleaching describe bleaching techniques in permanent teeth. This review provides an overview on bleaching of primary teeth and bridges the gap in literature.
Keywords: Bleaching Agents; Tooth; Deciduous; Esthetics; Dental
- Christensen John R and Henry Fields “Orthodontic Treatment in the Primary Dentition”. Pediatric Dentistry (2019).
- Arıkan Volkan., et al. “Bleaching a Devital Primary Tooth Using Sodium Perborate with Walking Bleach Technique: A Case Report”. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontology 5 (2009): 80-84.
- Fasanaro TomS. “Bleaching Teeth: History, Chemicals, and Methods Used for Common Tooth Discolorations”. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry 3 (1992): 71-78.
- Brantley DH., et al. “Bleaching primary teeth with 10% carbamide peroxide”. Pediatric Dentistry 23 (2001): 514-516.
- Kalil Bussadori Sandra., et al. “Bleaching Non-Vital Primary Teeth: Case Report”. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry 3 (2006): 179-182.
- Alazmah Abdulfatah. “Primary Teeth Stains and Discoloration: A Review”. Journal of Child Science 1 (2021): e20-e27.
- Nathoo Salim A. “The Chemistry and Mechanisms of Extrinsic and Intrinsic Discoloration”. The Journal of the American Dental Association 128 (1998).
- Metz M J., et al. “Clinical evaluation of 15% carbamide peroxide on the surface microhardness and shear bond strength of human enamel”. Operative Dentistry 5 (2007): 427-436.
- Gonjito IT., et al. “Whitening techniques using the diode laser and halogen lamp in human devitalized primary teeth”. Journal of Dentistry for Children 75 (2008): 164-167.
- Sharma Divya., et al. “Intra-Coronal Bleaching in Young Permanent and Primary Tooth with Biologic Perspectives”. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry 4 (2011): 349-352.
- Ganesh R., et al. “Comparison of the Bleaching Efficacy of Three Different Agents Used for Intracoronal Bleaching of Discoloured Primary Teeth: An in Vitro Study”. Journal of Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry 1 (2013): 17.
- Patnana Arun K., et al. “Evaluation of Three Different Bleaching Agents in Permanent and Primary Teeth: An in Vitro Study”. International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry 2 (2020): 130-135.
- Faria Campos., et al. “Analysis of Photoreflectance and Microhardness of the Enamel in Primary Teeth Submitted to Different Bleaching Agents”. Journal of Clinical Pediatric Dentistry 1 (2007): 9-12.
- “Policy on the Use of Dental Bleaching for Child and Adolescent Patients”. Oral Health Policies Use of Dental Bleaching, AAPD (2019).
- Lima Débora Alves., et al. “Effect of Curing Lights and Bleaching Agents on Physical Properties of a Hybrid Composite Resin”. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry 4 (2008): 266-273.
- Plotino G., et al. “Nonvital tooth bleaching: a review of the literature and clinical procedures”. Journal of Endodontics 4 (2008): 394-407.
- Anderson DG., et al. “A clinical assessment of the effect of 10% carbamide peroxide gel on human pulp tissue”. Journal of Endodontics 25 (1999): 247-250.