Effect of Simultaneous Working Length Control During Root Canal Preparation Versus Electronic Apex Locator on Postoperative Pain in Teeth with Symptomatic Irreversible Pulpitis (A Randomized Clinical Trial)
Aml Mohammed Abdel Moteleb, Heba El-Asfouri and Shaimaa Gawdat*
Department of Endodontics, Cairo University, Egypt
*Corresponding Author: Shaimaa Gawdwt, Associate Professor of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Cairo University, Egypt.
Received: October 04, 2021; Published: November 18, 2021
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of simultaneous length control during root canal preparation on postoperative pain compared with separate working length determination by electronic apex locator.
Methodology: One hundred and twenty-four patients, with symptomatic irreversible pulpitis related to their mandibular premolars, were randomly divided into 2 groups (n = 62), a control group (separate length determination and root canal preparation) and an intervention group (simultaneous length control during root canal preparation). All teeth were treated in single visit using ProTaper Next rotary file system. All demographic data, VAS scores, and the analgesic intake during 7 days after the procedure were collected from patients and statistically analyzed.
Results: Patients in the intervention group showed statistically significant lower postoperative pain incidence and intensity on the first, third and fifth days than did the control group (P < 0.05). There also was a significant reduction of postoperative analgesic intake in the intervention group compared to the control group (p < 0.001).
Conclusion: Simultaneous length control during root canal preparation as a nonpharmacologic strategy for reducing postoperative pain is a beneficial technique for preventing postoperative pain.
Keywords: Endodontic Treatment; Postoperative Pain; Root Canal Treatment; Separate Working Length Control; Simultaneous Working Length Control; Working Length Determination
- Sathorn C., et al. "The prevalence of postoperative pain and flare-up in single and multiple visit endodontic treatment: a systematic review". International Endodontic Journal 41 (2008): 91-99.
- Seltzer S., et al. "Pain in endodontics". Journal of Endodontics 12 (1986): 505-508.
- Iqbal, M., et al. "Incidence and factors related to flare-ups in a graduate endodontic programme". International Endodontic Journal 42 (2009): 99-104.
- Caviedes-Bucheli J., et al. "The effect of single-file reciprocating systems on substance P and Calcitonin gene-related peptide expression in human periodontal ligament". International Endodontic Journal 46 (2013): 419-426.
- Katz A., et al. "Tooth length determination: A review". Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and endodontics 72 (1991): 238-242.
- Meares WA., et al. "The influence of sodium hypochlorite irrigation on the accuracy of the Root ZX electronic apex locator". Journal of Endodontics 28 (2002): 595-598.
- Tsesis I., et al. "The precision of electronic apex locators in working length determination: a systematic review and Meta-analysis of the literature". Journal of Endodontics 41 (2015): 1818-1823.
- Reddy SA., et al. "Apical extrusion of debris using two hand and two rotary instrumentation techniques". Journal of Endodontics 24 (1998): 180-183.
- Ghivari SB., et al. "Apical extrusion of debris and irrigant using hand and rotary systems: a comparative study". Journal of Conservative Dentistry 14 (2011): 187-190.
- Arslan H., et al. "Effect of the simultaneous working length control during root canal preparation on postoperative pain". Journal of Endodontics 43 (2017): 1422-1427.
- Rosasa S., et al. "Comparison between the Visual Analog Scale and the Numerical Rating Scale in the perception of esthetics and pain". International Orthodontic Journal 15 (2017): 543-560.
- Pereira ESJ., et al. "In vitro assessment of torque and force generated by novel ProTaper Next instruments during simulated canal preparation". Journal of Endodontics 39 (2013): 1615-1619.
- Keskin C., et al. "Effect of intracanal cryotherapy on pain after single-visit root canal treatment". Australian Endodontic Journal 43 (2017): 83-88.
- Schulz KF., et al. "CONSORT 2010 Statement: Updated Guidelines for Reporting Parallel Group Randomized Trials". Annual Internal Medicine 152 (2010): 726-732.
- Moher D., et al. "CONSORT 2010 Explanation and Elaboration: update guidelines for reporting parallel group randomized trials". Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 63 (2010): e1-e37.
- Nagendrababu V., et al. "Efficacy of local anaesthetic solutions on the success of inferior alveolar nerve block in patients with irreversible pulpitis: a systematic review and network meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials". International Endodontic Journal 52 (2019): 779-789.
- Alí A., et al. "Influence of preoperative pain intensity on postoperative pain after root canal treatment: A prospective clinical study". Journal of Dentistry 45 (2016): 39-42.
- Ali S., et al. " Prevalence of and factors affecting post-obturation pain following single visit root canal treatment in Indian population: A prospective, randomized clinical trial". Contempory Clinical Dentistry 3 (2012): 459-463.
- Glennon JP., et al. "Prevalence of and factors affecting post-preparation pain in patients undergoing two-visit root canal treatment". International Endodontic Journal 37 (2004): 29-33.
- Ingle J I., et al. "Ingle's Endodontics”. 6. Shelton, Ct, People's Medical Publishing House (2008).
- Su Y., et al. "Healing rate and post-obturation pain of single- versus multiple-visit endodontic treatment for infected root canals: a systematic review". Journal of Endodontics 37 (2011): 125-132.
- Ibarrola J. L., et al. "Effect of preflaring on Root ZX apex locators". Journal of Endodontics 25 (1999): 625-626.
- Wang Q., et al. "The effect of coronal preflaring on the working length measurement of root canals in molars". Shanghai Journal of Stomatology 13 (2004): 179-181.
- Brito-Júnior M., et al. "Effect of pre-flaring and file size on the accuracy of two electronic apex locators". Journal Applied Oral Science 20 (2012): 538-543.
- Ruddle CJ., et al. "The shaping movement: Fifth generation technology". Dentistry Today 32 (2013): 96‑9
- Koçak MM., et al. "Apical Extrusion of Debris Using ProTaper Universal and ProTaper Next rotary systems". International Endodontic Journal 48 (2015): 283‑28
- Arora N., et al. "Comparative evaluation of postoperative pain after single visit endodontic treatment using ProTaper Universal and ProTaper Next rotary file systems: A randomized clinical trial". Indian Journal of Health Science and Biomedical Research 10 (2017): 124-130.
- Chang Y.-C., et al. "The effect of sodium hypochlorite and chlorhexidine on cultured human periodontal ligament cells". Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology and Endodontics 92 (2001): 446-450.
- Gomes-Filho J., et al. "Comparison of the biocompatibility of different root canal irrigants". Journal of Applied Oral Science 16 (2008): 137-144.
- Mohammadi Z., et al. "Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid in endodontics". European Journal of Dentistry 7 (2013): S135-S142.
- Basrani B., et al. "Update of Endodontic Irrigating Solutions”. In: Basrani B. (editions) Endodontic Irrigation (2015).
- Capar ID., et al. "Comparison of single cone obturation performance of different novel nickel-titanium rotary systems". Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 72 (2014): 537-542.
- Kherlakian D., et al. "Comparison of the Incidence of Postoperative Pain after Using 2 Reciprocating Systems and a Continuous Rotary System: A Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial". Journal of Endodontics 42 (2016): 171-176.
- Mollashahi NF., et al. "Comparison of Postoperative Pain after Root Canal Preparation with Two Reciprocating and Rotary Single-File Systems: A Randomized Clinical Trial". Iranian Endodontic Journal 12 (2017): 15-19.
- Beaver W., et al. "Review of the analgesic efficacy of ibuprofen". International Journal of Clinical Practice 135 (2003): 13-17.
- Klemz A., et al. "Accuracy of electronic apical functions of a new integrated motor compared to the visual control of the working length-an ex vivo study". Clinical Oral Investigations 25 (2020): 231-236.
- ElAyouti A, et al. "A simple mounting model for consistent determination of the accuracy and repeatability of apex locators". International Endodontic Journal 39 (2006): 108-112.
- De Camargo J., et al. "Influence of Preflaring on the Accuracy of Length Determination with Four Electronic Apex Locators". Journal of Endodontics 35 (2009): 1300-1302.
- Vasconcelos BC., et al. "Changes in root canal length determined during mechanical preparation stages and their relationship with the accuracy of Root ZX II". Journal of Endodontics 42 (2016): 1683-1686.
- Yammine S., et al. "Canal Straightening Following Over instrumentation with Three Nickel-Titanium Rotary Instruments". Journal of International Society of Preventive and Community Dentistry 8 (2018): 245-251.
- Ng YL., et al. "A prospective study of the factors affecting outcomes of nonsurgical root canal treatment: part 1: periapical health". International Endodontic Journal 44 (2011): 583-609.
- Stoll R., et al. "The influence of different factors on the survival of root canal fillings: a 10-year retrospective study". Journal of Endodontics 31 (2005): 783-790.
- Akisue E., et al. "Influence of pulp vitality on length determination by using the elements diagnostic unit and apex locator". Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology and Endodontics 104 (2007): e129-132.
- Tanalp J., et al. "Apical extrusion of debris: a literature review of an inherent occurrence during root canal treatment". International Endodontic Journal 47 (2013): 211-221.
- Alves V., et al. "Endodontic flare-ups: a prospective study. Oral Surgery Oral Medicine Oral Pathology Oral Radiology and Endodontics 110 (2010): e68-e72.
- Parirokh M., et al. "Comparison of the Effect of Various Irrigants on Apically Extruded Debris after Root Canal Preparation". Journal of Endodontics 38 (2012): 196-199.
- Altenburger M., et al. "Combination of apex locator and endodontic motor for continuous length control during root canal treatment". International Endodontic Journal 42 (2009): 368-374.
- Carneiro E., et al. "Accuracy of Root Length Determination Using Tri Auto ZX and ProTaper Instruments: An In Vitro Study". Journal of Endodontics 32 (2006): 142-144.
- Vasconcelos B. C., et al "Evaluation of the Maintenance of the Apical Limit during Instrumentation with Hybrid Equipment in Rotary and Reciprocating Modes". Journal of Endodontics 41 (2015): 682-685.
- Christofzik DW., et al. "The accuracy of the auto-stop function of different endodontic devices in detecting the apical constriction". BMC Oral Health 17 (2017): 141.
- Cruz AT., et al. "Accuracy of 2 endodontic rotary motors with integrated apex locator". Journal of Endodontics 43 (2017): 1716-1719.