Calculation of the Coefficient of Hydraulic Pressure Losses According to the
Methods of Shevelev and Colebrook-White
Mykola Hirol1, Dariusz Kowalski1*, Anna Girol2, Andriy Hirol3
1Lublin University of Technology, Faculty of Environmental Engineering, Poland
2ACI - Aquaproject Consult Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH, Dresden, Germany
3City Economy Department, Executive Committee of Rivne City Council, Ukraine
*Corresponding Author: Dariusz Kowalski, Lublin University of Technology, Faculty of Environmental Engineering, Poland.
March 14, 2023; Published: March 19, 2023
The work investigates the methods of Shevelev and Colebrook-White, which are widespread in the practice of water supply and sewerage in different countries of the world, for calculating the coefficient of hydraulic head losses in pipes operating in the pressure mode, provides an analysis of the conditions of their application, and shows the discrepancy in the calculation results obtained by these methods for the same constructive characteristics of technical systems. The advantage of the Colebrook-White method is substantiated and the practical expediency of introducing the Colebrook-White method into the practice of hydraulic calculations of pressure pipelines of water supply and sewage systems is demonstrated.
Keywords: Head Loss In Pipes; Colebrook-White; Shevelev; Darcy–Weisbach; Nikuradse; Blasius Equations
- Shevelev F.A. “Tables for hydraulic calculation of steel cast iron, asbestos cement, plastic and glass water pipes”. Ed. 5th Stroyizdat, (1973).
- SNiP 2.04.02-84 standard “Water supply External networks and constructions”. M: FSUP CPP (2006).
- Somov MA. “Water supply systems and structures: Textbook. For universities”. Stroiizdat, (1988).
- DBN V.2.5-74:2013 standard. “Water supply. External networks and structures. Basic provisions of design”. Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Housing and Communal Economy of Ukraine (2013).
- SP 31.13330.2010. “Code of water supply rules. outdoor networks and constructions”. Water supply. Pipelines and portable water treatment plants. Updated edition. SNiP 2.04.02-84 (2013).
- Mediolanskaya MM., et al. “Designing water networks: Textbook”. Vologda VTU (1999).
- Shadura VO and Kravchenko NV. “Water supply and drainage: a study guide. – Rivne”. NUVHP (2018).
- Matyash OV and Novokhatniy VG. “The state of the supply and distribution complex of the city's water supply system”. Communal management of cities (2019), 1 (147): 169-174 (in Ukrainian).
- Nguyen HK. “Improvement of the calculation and optimization of the water supply system of large cities taking into account the wear and tear of pipelines”. Dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Technical Sciences. Voronezh State Technical University. Voronezh (2019).
- Szpindor A. “Zaopatrzenie w wodę i kanalizacja wsi”. Warszawa (1998).
- Colebrook CF and White CM. "Experiments with Fluid Friction in Roughened Pipes". Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Mathematical and Physical Sciences906 (1937): 367-381.
- Orzechowski Z., et al. “Fluid mechanics in environmental engineering”. WNT, Warsaw (2009): 622.
- Kiseleva PG. “Handbook of hydraulic calculations”. Energy (1972).
- Altshul AD., et al. “Examples of hydraulic calculations. Textbook for universities”. Stroyizdat (1977).
- Twort AC., et al. “Water supply”. Fifth Edition. Elsevier Ltd. Butterworth-Heinemann (2000).
- Chin D.A. “Water-Quality Engineering in Natural Systems”. John Wiley and Sons, Florida (2006).
- Hydraulische Dimensionierung und Leistungsnachweis von Abwasserleitungenund – kanälen. Deutsche Vereinigung für Wasserwirtschaft, Abwasser und Abfall e. V. Arbeitsblatt DWA-A 110 (2006).
- Pecher R., et al. “Hydraulik der Abwasserkanäle in der Praxis”. Paul Parey, Berlin (1991).
- Bischof W. “Abwassertechnik”. Springer, Stuttgart, Leipzig (1998).
- Posypanov SV. “Hydraulic calculations of external water pipes: teaching and methodical manual”. 2nd Lomonosov University, Arkhangelsk, (2014).
- Tkachuk OA and Shadura V.O. “Water supply networks: Study guide”. NUVHP, Rivne (2010).