Implementation of a Bluetooth and GSM-Based Student Attendance System
Muhammad Ahmad Baballe1*, Yusuf Idris Muhammad2, Aminu Abba3, Shazali Abbas Ibrahim2, Abdulkadir Ahmad Yako4 and Abdulkadir Sarki Aliyu2
1Department of Computer Engineering Technology, School of Technology, Kano State Polytechnic, Kano, Nigeria
2Department of Computer Science, Sa’adatu Rimi College of Education Kumbotso, Kano, Nigeria
3Department of Building Technology, School of Environmental Studies Gwarzo, Kano State Polytechnic, Kano, Nigeria
4Department of Electrical Engineering Technology, School of Technology, Kano State Polytechnic, Kano, Nigeria
*Corresponding Author: Muhammad Ahmad Baballe, Department of Computer
Engineering Technology, School of Technology, Kano State Polytechnic, Kano, Nigeria.
August 07, 2022; Published: November 30, 2022
The objective of this study is to develop a portable student attendance system for use in educational facilities as well as a user-friendly attendance system, primarily for the lecturer, that includes security standards for the stored data. When the system is turned on, it will show the SD card and state, "SD card is OK," to show that it is in good shape before showing the project's name. In addition, the time, date, and year are given. Every child has been given an identity number, ranging from 01 to 50. In the event that a student with the number 01 is called and you happen to be present, you will dial 01 using the system's Bluetooth device or an Android serial monitor. In this research we have seen how the system is used to send messages to the registered mobile phone number and a lecturer has to see if the student is present in the class before he sends the message to the parents using the implemented system, which is different from using the RFID tags, which you can give to anyone to swipe for you even if you are not present in the class.
Keywords: SD Card; GSM Module; Microcontroller; Bluetooth Module
- E Orji., et al. “Automatic Access Control System using Arduino and RFID”. Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research4 (2018): 333-340.
- K Vandana., et al. “Examination Room Guidance System Using RFID and Arduino”. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET)4 (2018): 642-645.
- M Cavas and M A Baballe. “A Review Advancement of Security Alarm System Using Internet of Things (IoT)”. International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications2 (2019): 38-49.
- Z Yongqiang and L Ji. “The Design of Wireless Fingerprint Attendance System”. 2006 International Conference on Communication Technology (2006): 1-4.
- M Man and L Y Kyng. “Utilizing MYKAD Touch N Go features for Student Attendance System (TITO)”. Proceeding of 1st International Malaysian Educational Technology Convention, Nov. (2007): 114-120.
- J Sidi., et al. “ISAMS: Tracking Student Attendance Using Interactive Student Attendance Management System”. Proceedings of the 3rd Malaysian Software Engineering Conference, Dec. (2007): 218-223.
- Z Pala and N Inanc. “Smart Parking Applications Using RFID Technology”. 2007 1st Annual RFID Eurasia, Sep. (2007): 1-3.
- A A Olanipekun and O Boyinbode. “An RFID-Based Automatic Attendance System in Educational Institutions of Nigeria”. International Journal of Smart Home12 (2015): 65-74.
- H D Rjeib., et al. “Attendance and Information System using RFID and Web-Based Application for Academic Sector”. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA)1 (2018): 266-274.
- S Pss and M Bhaskar. “RFID and Pose Invariant Face Verification Based Automated Classroom Attendance System”. 2016 International Conference on Microelectronics, Computing and Communications (MicroCom), (2016): 1-6.
- M M M Thein., et al. “Students’ Attendance Management System Based on RFID and Fingerprint Reader”. International Journal of Scientific and Technology Research7 (2015): 30-38.
- Y Mishra., et al. “Arduino Based Smart RFID Security and Attendance System with Audio Acknowledgement”. International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT) 1 (2015): 363- 367.
- A K Shukla. “Microcontroller Based Attendance System Using RFID and GSM”. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Engineering Research (IJETER) 8 (2017): 127-131.
- S Konatham., et al. “Attendance Generating System Using RFID and GSM”. 2016 IEEE Long Island Systems, Applications and Technology Conference (LISAT) (2016): 1-3.
- R Roy. “A Web Enabled Secured System Designed for Attendance Monitoring Applying Biometric and Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Technology”. 2014 International Conference on Signal Propagation and Computer Technology (ICSPCT 2014), (2014): 653-657.
- T Sanjay. “Attendance Management System”. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering7 (2014): 541-543.
- M B Chaniago and A Junaidi. “Student Presence Using RFID and Telegram Messenger Application”. 8th Widyatama International Seminaron Sustainability (WISS) (2016): 2016.
- V M Vinod., et al. “A Low-Cost Portable Smart Card Based Attendance System”. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, (2021): 012046.
- S Bhattacharya., et al. “Smart Attendance Monitoring System (SAMS): A Face Recognition Based Attendance System for Classroom Environment”. 2018 IEEE 18th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT) (2018): 358-360.
- U K Nkalo, ., et al. “Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Based Attendance System with Short Message Service (SMS) Backup”. IOSR Journal of Computer Engineering (IOSR-JCE)2 (2019): 1-8.
- M A Baballe., et al. “A comparative study on radio frequency identification system and its various applications”. International Journal of Advances in Applied Sciences (IJAAS)4 (2021): 392~398.
- M B Ahmad and F A Nababa. “The need of using a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) System”. International Journal of New Computer Architectures and their Applications (IJNCAA)2 (2021): 22-29.
- M A Baballe. “A Study on the Components used in RFID System and its Challenges”. Global Journal of Research in Engineering and Computer Sciences1 (2021): 21-27.
- A R Dansharif., et al. “Design and Simulation of Bluetooth Smart Attendance with SMS Alert”. Global Journal of Research in Engineering and Computer Sciences4 (2022): 1-9.