Augmentation of the Robotic Arm with Feedback Control
Emeritus Professor (UGC) JNTU, India
*Corresponding Author: Rahul Basu, Emeritus Professor (UGC) JNTU, India.
April 26, 2021; Published: June 23, 2021
The robotic arm which has been used extensively for industrial and research applications has also been applied in precision robotic applications. The addition of a further degree of freedom at the wrist gives a superior advantage over the surgeon's hand, The added capability is of immense importance in various delicate procedures. At present most robotic grippers rely on remote human control, where errors due to overshoot, tolerance, and actuation delay can occur. Visual feedback may correct for such inherent machine and human errors. AI and neural networks with human oversight may provide more precise guidance to the robot end piece for medical and other applications. The state of the art is outlined.
Keywords: Ergonomics; Feedback Control; Artificial Intelligence; RTM
- Taylor FW. “Principles of Scientific Management”. Harper, NY, NY (1911).
- Gilbreth FB. “Primer of Scientific Management”. Hive, Easton, Md. (1973).
- Troccaz J. “Medical Robotics”. J Wiley (2013).
- Mulgaonkar AP., et al. “A prototype surgical Manipulator for Robotic intraocular surgery”. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 142 (2009): 215-217.
- Cleary K., et al. “Interventional Robotic systems: Application and Technology State-of-the-art”. Minimally Invasive Therapy and Allied Technologies 2 (2006): 101-113.
- Taylor R Ed. “Computer Integrated Surgery Technology and Clinical Applications”. MIT Press (1996).
- elShair Z and Rawaashder S. “Design of an object sorting system using a vision-guided robotic arm”. Proc of the 2019 ASEE North Central Conference (2019).
- Yang CK., et al. “Robot-assisted nephrourectectology”. World Journal of Surgical Oncology 12 (2014): 219.
- Lee D., et al. “Preliminary study on the application of augmented reality visualization in robotic thyroid surgery”. Annals of Surgical Treatment and Research 6 (2018): 297-302.
- Chen GT., et al. “An intelligent robot for home health care”. Proc of Intl Conf. on Consumer Electronics, (ICCE-TW) (2015).
- Wang Z., et al. “Hybrid grey prediction model bases auto-tracking algorithm for the laparoscopic visual window of surgical robot”. Mechanism and Machine Theory 123 (2018): 107-123.
- Qureshi M., et al. “A supervisory on-line tuned fuzzy logic-based sliding mode control for robotics: An application to surgical robots”. Robotics and Autonomous Systems 109 (2018): 65-68.
- Frajhof L., et al. “Virtual reality mixed reality and augmented reality in surgical planning for video or robotically assisted thoracoscopic anatomic re- sections for treatment of lung cancer”. Journal of Visualized Surgery7 (2018): 143.
- Kwoh Y S., et al. “A robot with improved absolute positioning accuracy for CT guided stereotactic brain surgery”. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 35 (1988): 153-161.
- Minati L., et al. “Hybrid Control of a vision-guided robot arm by EOG, EMG, EEG Biosignals and head movement augmented via a consumer-grade wearable device”. IEEE Access 4 (2016): 9528-9541.
- Fischer C S. “Enabling Closed Loop surgery in MRI". ASME Dynamic Systems and Control-Robotic Surgery –in safe hands. ed Krovi V 3.3 (2015): 11-14.
- Syed A A., et al. “6 dof Maxillofacial surgical Robotic Manipulator controlled by haptic device". Proc Complex Medical Engineering (CME) ICME Intl Conf. (2012): 363-368.
- Su H., et al. “Piezo electrically activated Robotic System for MRI guided prostate percutaneous therapy”. IEEE – ASME Transactions Mechatronics4 (2015): 1920-1932.
- diNatali C., et al. “Surgical Robotic Manipulator based on local magnetic Activation”. Journal of Medical Devices3 (2015).
- Hagen ME., et al. “Visual clues act as a substitute for haptic feedback in robotic surgery”. Surgery Endoscopy6 (2008): 1505-1508.
- Takaki T., et al. “Force visualization using Moire fringes for endoscopic surgical instruments”. Journal of Japan Society of Computer Aided Surgery (2009): 3648-3658.
- Choi H., et al. “An effective visualization technique for depth perception in augmented reality-based surgical navigation”. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 1 (2016): 62-72.
- Elliott T., et al. “Developing a robot vision system using a biologically inspired model of neuronal development”. Robots and Autonomous Systems2 (2003): 111-130.
- Beckmann J A. “The Phantom Omni as an Under-actuated Robot”. MS Thesis Iowa State Univ. (UMI 1447474) (2007).
- Paul R P. “Robot Manipulator Mathematics Planning and Control”. MIT Press, Cambridge, Ma (1981).
- Taylor R H. “Planning and Execution of Straight Line Manipulator Trajectories”. IBM Journal of Research and Development 4 (1979): 424-446.
- Lee C S G and Huang D. “A Geometric Approach to Deriving Position/Force Trajectory in Fine Motion”. IEEE Intl Conf Robotics automation, St Louis, Mo (1985): 691-697.
- Nakamura A., et al. “Error recovery using task stratification and error classification for manipulation robots in various fields”. IROS (Intelligent Robots and Systems) IEEE/RSJ Intl Conf. Tokyo (2013).
- Martinez S., et al. “A catalog of Inverse – kinematics planners for underactuated systems on matrix groups” (2003).
- Ortenzi V., et al. “Vision guided state estimation and control of robotic manipulators which lack proprioceptive sensors”. Proc of IEEE IROS Conference, Korea 2016Proc of IEEE IROS Conference, Korea (2016).
- Adrian B., et al. “Modelling and Control of 5 DOF Serial Robotfor Object Capturing and Manipulation Using a Semi-analytical Approach”. In Hernandez E, Keshtkar S, Valdez S (eds) Lasirs 2019 (2019).
- Amador J., et al. “Development of a Vision System for a MobileManipulator to Solid Residue Collection in the Food Sector”. In Lasers (2019).
- Robertson MJ., et al. “High-Resolution Underwater Robotic Vision-Based Mapping and Three – dimensional Reconstruction for Archaeology”. Journal of Field Robotics (2016).
- Zheng Z., et al. “Industrial part localization and grasping using a robotic arm guided by 2D monocular vision” (2018).
- Ali H., et al. “Vision-based Robot Manipulator for Industrial Applications”. Procedia Computer Science 133 (2018): 205-212.
- Huang SJ and Wu SS. “Vision-based Robotic motion control for the non-autonomous environment”. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 54 ( 2009): 733-754.