Sepsis as Complication After Closed Tendon Tibialis Anterior Rupture-Case Report
Janežič Lea Dora1, Korpar Iza1, Semenič Danijela1,2, Alikadić Nadja1 and Frangež Igor1,2*
1Department of Surgical Infections, University Medical Center Ljubljana, Slovenia
2Faculty of Medicine, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
*Corresponding Author: Frangež Igor, Department of Surgical Infections, University Medical Center Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Received: August 11, 2023;
Published: August 17, 2023
Tendon tibialis anterior (TTA) rupture, despite being the third most common tendon rupture of the lower extremitiy after Achilles and patellar tendon, is still rare . There are relatively few cases of closed TTA ruptures reported in the literature . We present a case report of a patient with unrecognized rupture of tendon tibialis anterior with complication of sepsis and surgical treatment of the TTA rupture with a semitendinosus tendon graft. In the literature there has been very few cases documented about TTA rupture after septic tenosynovitis, but none yet about complication of sepsis after the tendon tibialis anterior closed rupture .
Keywords: Tendon Tibialis Anterior Rupture; Sepsis; Semitendinosus Tendon Graft; Tendon Tibialis Anterior; Tendon Rupture; Surgery
- Anagnostakos K., et al. “Rupture of the anterior tibial tendon: three clinical cases, anatomical study, and literature review”. Foot and Ankle International 5 (2006): 330-339.
- Michael J Coughlin and Lew C Schon. Musculoskeletal key: Chapter 24, “Disorders of Tendons”, 27th august (2016).v
- Christopher Michel., et al. “Septic tenosynovitis and rupture of the tibialis anterior tendon: A case report and review of the literature”. Foot and Ankle Surgery: Techniques, Reports and Cases2 (2022): 100188.
- Jerome JT., et al. “Tibialis anterior tendon rupture in gout - case report and literature review”. Foot Ankle Surgery 14 (2008): 166-169.
- Frangež I., et al. “Rupture of the anterior tibialis tendon: A review of the literature and case study of reconstruction with semitendinosus tendon in a patient with diabetes mellitus and polyneuropathy”. ZdravVestn 9 (2015).
- Amir Reza Vosoughi., et al. “Management of tibialis anterior tendon rupture: Recommendations based on the literature review”. Foot and Ankle Surgery5 (2020): 487-493.
- Elizabeth Harkin., et al. “ Treatment of Acute and Chronic Tibialis Anterior Tendon Rupture and Tendinopathy”. Foot and Ankle Clinics4 (2017): 819-831.
- Michels F., et al. “Minimally invasive repair of the tibialis anterior tendon using a semitendinosus autograft”. Foot and Ankle International 3 (2013): 264-271.
- Vrettakos A., et al. “Closed Rupture of Anterior Tibialis Tendon after Minor Injury without Medical History: A Surgical Repair”. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 4 (2019): 67-70.
- Ivanova N., et al. “Modern possibilities in the treatment of inflammation caused by Staphylococcus aureus biofilm with bioactive glass S53P4”. Journal of BioScience and Biotechnology 2 (2022): 89-93.
- Korpar I and Frangež I. “Preservation Surgery of Septic Osteoarthritis and Osteomyelitis in the Diabetic Foot Using S53P4 Bioactive Glass-A Case Series”. Applied Sciences5 (2023): 3310.
- Kastrin M., et al. “Possible Advantages of S53P4 Bioactive Glass in the Treatment of Septic Osteoarthritis of the First Metatarsophalangeal Joint in the Diabetic Foot”. Journal of Clinical Medicine6 (2021): 1208.
- Finžgar H., et al. “Transcutaneous application of the gaseous CO2 for improvement of the microvascular function in patients with diabetic foot ulcers”. Microvascular Research 133 (2021): 104100.
- Macura M., et al. “The effect of transcutaneous application of gaseous CO2 on diabetic chronic wound healing-A double-blind randomized clinical trial”. International Wound Journal 17 (2020): 1607-1614.